Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins at Eagles (NFC East Champions!)

JimmiJo

I really, really, really enjoyed that game. We looked so... together. Like a real team or something. :)

This offense is starting to reveal some true mismatches. Reed could not be stopped and DJax obviously brings a lot of speed to the table. We need a consistent running game though.

The scorned weathered doubters persisted all throughout this thread today and the past few weeks. Here's to all the skins fans who Never lost faith good things would happen if we kept choppin wood. Gruden and Staff deserve huge praise. This isn't a shot in the dark, this was earned from the ground up through blood sweat tears and hard work!!

The missed extra point and clock blunder at the end of the first half would have definitely came back to bite this team in the past. This team has resolve and I think we could now officially say that the culture has changed at Redskins Park. This is how great teams start their run as a perennial contender and I think we're on our way to doing some great things in the upcoming seasons.

It's like a kid having Christmas Part 2 to me. I'm so vibed I barely slept.  :lol:

Just to make sure everyone gets to see these clips (like I said yesterday, when Kirk gave the interview after the game he had me liking Dan again.  :lol:

Pierre Thomas can make plays, he may be our best play at RB.

A guy Jay targeted out of knowing his play, and his judgment was solid on that, too.

People said this same stuff about RG3 during the 2012 run. Bam film got out and everyone saying he sucks. I have yet to see Kirk do this against good defense. Eagles been torched by a lot of Qb. Don't believe ? Go check? Same for bills defense, New Orleans, Chicago,New York. You know which defense that gave him trouble? Cowboys, pats, Carolina Panthers.

I'm happy Kirk doing good and hope he's can be that franchise QB. I'm just not sold. You just with the rest of the favs who drinks the kool-aid too quick! I'm done doing that...got burnt once and won't again.

Seriously dude?  Which part you are not sold on, the franchise records he has broken this year with a game to go or the fact that for the first time in forever he guided this team to a division title with a game to go.

Jordan reed right now is arguably the best tight end in game.

Not gonna lie... there were about 5000 of us that lost our mind in the draft thread when we picked him.

We all wanted a Safety that is probably on his 4th team right now.

We're dumb and thank god for it.

Some day-after post-game thoughts;

1. I loved the fact that they decided to put this game on Kirk.  46 passes to 26 runs.  And I can think of at least 8 runs in the final 10 minutes of the game, so when the game was competitive, they let Kirk air it out.  And:

- No interceptions

- 350 yards

- 4 TDs.  

I'm just so glad that finally Jay and McVay have trust in Cousins to do this.  And that, while they would probably prefer more balance, they realize that with some really suspect run-blocking on the OL/TEs, Jones out, Pierre Thomas having been there 3 minutes, Thompson coming off an injury AND Almo looking just done, the more prudent thing to do would be to let Kirk try and win it.  

Amazing offensive growth.

2. Every time the Eagles made a charge, the 'Skins responded.  In years past, they would have staggered backwards and gone running to momma.  

3. The Eagles ARE a good offensive team. And you're not going to hold them down.  I thought the defense played pretty well.  Got a little fortunate here and there, but unless you're playing the 2007 Patriots, offenses are going to make mistakes, and as a defense, you'll take them.  

4. I loved the aggressive use of TO at the end of the first half.  And subsequent play-calling to get inside the 10.  

5. The brain-freeze.  It shouldn't happen.  It did.  Against a better team, it might have come back and bitten them.  It didn't.  Move on.  

6. I only have 1 gripe about the entire game: The last 10 minutes, the philosophy was just too passive for my tastes.  Ok, it worked.  But with 8 minutes to go, essentially they went into a prevent defense, and traded 7 points for 4 minutes.  When they had been attacking all day.  Then when they got the ball back, they ran three times, and punted.  Then played soft again, and allowed the Eagles to move right down the field.  They finally stopped them.  

But that's ok against Bradford and the Eagles.  You give Russell Wilson and the Seahawks, Brady, Cam, that kind of thing, and they will burn you.  And you'll go from a 21 point laughter into a sphincter clutching 7 point game "just like that." 

Gruden needs to take a page out of Bellichick's book.  When you get them down, just keep taking whacks at the tree.  Don't go soft and exchange points for time.  

7. Pierre Thomas was a huge pickup.  I think he's going to be on the team next year.  He's just a good compliment to what they want to do.  I could see Thompson, Thomas and Jones being the RBs next year.  

8, I love Garcon.  He can't get separation consistently, and he might not be back. But the guy brings an attitude that this team needs, and more often than not, when they need a big 3rd down completion, it's either him or Reed who makes the play.

9. How smart do the 'Skins look by putting Kory on the IR/Designated to return?  Because Ribbs is going to be out at C for the playoff game for sure.  As an OL in general, They're coming together.  Moses had a tough game early with Fletcher Cox.  Guess what? A lot of players have a tough time with Fletcher Cox.

10. If you told me before the season that the 'Skins would win 8 games, I would have said, "eh, that's a pretty good for this team." I expected between 7-9 and 9-7. But if you told me that at 2-4, I wouldn't have believed you.  But, they really got their stuff together, have overcome a lot of injuries.  

Lots of good feelings today.  I imagine Scot M. is having a pretty good morning. Jay has done a really good job this year, but GMSM has given him a lot more tools to play with.  

Oh, and there shouldn't be a single moment of game planning for Dallas.  Start looking at the Seahawks.  That's the most likely scenario.  

Not gonna lie... there were about 5000 of us that lost our mind in the draft thread when we picked him.

We all wanted a Safety that is probably on his 4th team right now.

We're dumb and thank god for it.

I can't remember who everybody wanted....

6. I only have 1 gripe about the entire game: The last 10 minutes, the philosophy was just too passive for my tastes.  Ok, it worked.  But with 8 minutes to go, essentially they went into a prevent defense, and traded 7 points for 4 minutes.  When they had been attacking all day.  Then when they got the ball back, they ran three times, and punted.  Then played soft again, and allowed the Eagles to move right down the field.  They finally stopped them.  

Its easy for me to say in hindsight, but I didn't have a problem with it. I was kind of champing at the bit after we recovered the onside kick to maybe take a deep shot from around midfield on third down, but screw it.  In this league where it seems like many coaches are petrified to put their defenses on the field and wind up mismanaging the clock, we just made sure the Eagles didn't rattle off any huge plays and made them use their timeouts and had confidence in the D late.  It was refreshing to see.

I love how dynamic our offense is now. Passing in obvious run situations, 5 wide on 1st, going pass happy in the red zone with 2 minutes left in the half, allowed us to get the ball back with time. Hats off to Jay for adding top coaches and delegating this year, and keeping a steady hand in helping Cousins get some confidence. Jay is a very different coach this year. 

The Pierre Thomas pickup was well timed, and could be huge for us. Hats off to Scot for recognizing our run game had gone stale, and all the moves he has done during the season, mostly on D. 

Preston Smith and others on D are exceeding expectations. Barry for Mayor! 

The Ickles did just well enough to retain Kelly for another year, to get rid of more of their best players. 

I went to the Caps game and drank those jumbo beers, watching Skins at Clydes for the 2nd half, Uber and 4 hours of sleep.... 

best. hangover. ever. 

Im glad we won.... but, i wouldn't say the Eagles were a good offensive team.

I thouht bradford played OK, but his receivers couldn't catch a ball to save their life. IMO, if Bradford had our receivers, the Eagles would have won.

Kirk had a great game, but he made several questionable throws and decisions. The kneel down, the series right after the two minute warning, and a few throws across th grain into the middle of the field. Learning process yea, but luckily none of those bad throws were picked.

ST were not great either, we gave up a fifty yard return, Hopkins was unable to boot it out of the endzone, and I heard someone saying something about the yilps.

good win, but let's not pretend we're the Giants on a playoff push. I hate being a negative nancy but it is what is is.

Archived