Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins at Eagles (NFC East Champions!)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - #Redskins at Eagles

12/26/15

VICTORY!!!

Redskins 38 - 24 Eagles

NFC East Champions!!!

FF2CC323-CFE5-4659-B874-09ADF8012A74_zps

Now is the time for greatness brothers and sisters.

The Washington Redskins are one victory away from a most unexpected division championship. No-one saw this coming back in August. In fairness, some did call for as many as seven or eight wins (me), but no-one had them with a chance to win the NFC East and host a playoff game.

But as luck would have it, the division has been so terrible this year, that here in week 16 there are three teams who can still get it; none with winning records.

Thanks be to mediocrity...

Hello friends! My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by the great TK. Together we will bring you all the action from the Linc. The weather is a perfect low-to-mid 50s and a chance of rain late.

The Redskins are peaking at the right time, riding a two-game win-streak coming in. The Eagles were the victims of professional football-abuse at the hands of the Cardinals last week. Here's hoping both streaks continue.

Most pundits are picking Washington to win tonight, and that makes me nervous.

Have a drink and speak among yourselves...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 31 RB Matt Jones
o No. 56 LB Perry Riley, Jr.
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio
o No. 85 TE Marcel Jensen
o No. 87 TE Je’Ron Hamm

No. 54 Mason Foster is expected to start in place of Riley at linebacker.

Randoms
  • If Washington wins tonight, they win the division and will host a playoff game for only the third time in the history of FedEx Field
  • A division title in just head coach Jay Gruden's second season will go far in validating Bruce Allen's selection of Gruden
  • The Redskins have not beaten the Eagles at the Linc since December 23, 2012
  • Kirk Cousins is currently ranked 10th in the league in passing, just behind Matthew Stafford and ahead of Russell Wilson (total yards)
  • The Redskins rank 15th overall in passing, and 20th in rushing
  • The Eagles rank 16th overall in passing and 13th rushing
  • Washington ranks 24th in defense (yards allowed)
  • Philadelphia ranks 28th in defense (yards allowed)
We are about 10-minutes out now. Redskins coming out now to a chorus of boos. Here's to an injury-free game.

Let's get it on!

Follow-along on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

What a total disaster at the end of the half. Inexcusable.

Otherwise a typical close, NFC East game.

JimmiJo

From worst to first. Nobody, and I mean nobody, had the Washington Redskins winning the NFC East. But fate and fortune have been with them all year.

They have benefited from a historically bad division. Case-in-point, Washington has wrapped up the NFC East at 8-8 and need not win next week. The other teams have been at best inconsistent and at worst, pathetic.

But before we ascribe the season to a clover stuck up someone's patootie, let's give credit where it is due. This Washington team did enough to stay in contention, then they peaked at the exact right time.

If you ask me what about them made the difference, I would say the job Scot McCloughan has done with personnel, and the play at quarterback.

Washington suffered more than their share of season-ending injuries this year. The Redskins have 14 players on IR, many of them starters. In years' past this team could not withstand losing the likes of Junior Gallette, Shawn Lauvao, Duke Ihenacho, Niles Paul, Logan Paulsen, and Chris Culliver. But somehow McCoughan has been able to find a guy to fill the gap.

Then there's Kirk Cousins. There has been a lot said about this guy and what he is capable of. He's gone from a turn-over machine, to game manager, to top-10 quarterback in the span of one year. When head coach Jay Gruden made the switch in training camp, many thought it was exasperation and said more about the poor play of Robert Griffin rather than the potential of Cousins.

But other than the two New York road games, you can't really find a poor effort from him. And tonight he excelled. Cousins finished the night 31/46 for 365-yards and 4 touchdowns, with a rating of 120.3. He spread the ball to nine different receivers. Great results on the road against a division rival.

Leading the receivers was Jordan Reed. Reed hauled in nine catches for 129-yards and 2 touchdowns. Somebody at the Pro Bowl voting mucked it up.

After him was Pierre Garcon with seven catches for 80-yards and a touchdown. Pierre (the Other Pierre) Thomas added seven receptions for 67-yards to round-out the top three.

The rushing attack remains anemic, with 67-yards on 26-carries. Alfred Morris led the effort with 49-yards on 17 tries. Thomas added 22-yards on 4 carries.

Defensively, the Redskins looked both good and bad at times. On the opening possession the Eagles marched right down for the opening score. The defense stiffened, though let down at times to allow Philadelphia to stay in it until late.

The turnovers were the difference.

Zach Ertz hurt Philadelphia late in the second period when his fumble at his own 38 gave Washington a chance to increase their 3-point lead, something they did with a field goal.

But the second turnover was the killer for the Eagles. The Redskins led by just six-points late in the 3rd quarter when a Sam Bradford pitch was fumbled at the Philadelphia 17 and scooped by DeAngelo Hall, who ran it in for the touchdown.

Washington would then add another touchdown on their way to the division crown.

The Redskins finished with 418 total yards, though this was far from their best effort offensively. They were only 5-of-14 of third down for 36% efficiency. They were 3-for-5 in red zone efficiency (60%) and racked up 70-yards on 8 penalties.

They did control the clock, finishing with 34:04 possession.

But stats hardly matter now. All that matters is that the Washington Redskins have done something no-one thought they could in August; win the division.

The locker room was as lively as I have seen in 10-season covering. The players and coaches are thrilled to have won the division and to be going to the playoffs. To do it on the road is that much sweeter.

I pointed out to my friend Lake Lewis that unlike 2005, 2007, and 2012, Washington didn't have to have an unnatural run to win the division this time. No miracle finish required. For some reason that means something to me.

I asked coach Gruden, Kirk Cousins, and Trent Williams if we have seen the best of the offense yet. All said no. When I asked why they said much the same; this team is full of young talent with the right mix of veteran leadership. Cousins pointed out how he wasn't named the starter until the final week of preseason, so did not have the benefit of an offseason with the starters.

This offense has gotten steadily better. As has Cousins. And the offense has flourished without much of a run-game.

I never would have thought that.

Well folks, I've got a long drive. I am hoping to see you for the playoffs, though coverage is not yet set.

Otherwise, it's been a hell of a ride. And yes Kirk, I do like that. I like it a lot.
The Force is strong in this one.
0EE048A1-E54F-44F3-8933-A1F9FE868FA1_zps

F1079126-2816-466A-B397-39955B045232_zps

BD7DCA34-8917-4CE9-94D3-369DAADB380D_zps

225B7C56-A0AF-44BA-A148-D24EF3F67C2C_zps

DF0B5139-9949-4DA1-AA04-F4C693F7B866_zps

5DE0AE68-A538-4B8F-8571-E26CED10C75B_zps

https://www.flickr.com/gp/extremeskins/9dqb0z

We've got rid of the myth that third quarters are a problem, we've got rid of the myth that we can't win on the road, we've got rid of the myth that we can't win back to back games. 

Got to make the claim we can't win in Primetime a myth tonight and take this ****ty division. 

Dammit this game makes me nervous.  Seems like a total setup type of game. Eagles have played like ass lately, and we've been playing well.  It would be so Redskins to come out flat in this game. Hopefully the guys are totally focused and come out and punch the eagles right in the throat, and dominate the entire game.

I want to see good running tonight. (Mainly because I expect Philly to be scared of DJax and Reed). Really thought it would be Jones, because I figured he would be used as a safety valve for passing, and more of a threat to break some big ones, if the first guy missed).

But I sure wouldn't mind, if AlMo were to grind out 100, either. That would be OK with me. (And I assume our OL would approve of that idea, too).

Glad to see that Moses isn't on the inactives list.

JPap. If the 'other' one with you tonight  is caught hobnobbing with ex-Redskins greats again and smoking big fat cigars, you have my blessing to feed him to the baying Iggle hoards. Even secret agent Westy and his frog onesie!

Limb by limb. 

'He' knows. That is all. 

Hail. 

You can't be thinking he is actually going to be working?! 

I have to work late tonight and I won't be able to watch the game on DVR until midnight PST. I feel like throwing up. The last game I got my hopes up for was the Cowboys game. We all remember how that went.

It's easier to be a fan when stakes are low, but it's not much fun.

Stomach's in knots... Proud of our guys no matter what but I want this win so bad. Sucks about Jones and I hope it doesn't cost us.

It wrecks our passing game, honestly. This is going to hurt Kirk because it takes away a really solid checkdown option.

However, less to worry about on the turnover front.

Archived