Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has the Threat of Terrorism Changed Your Awareness?

KingGibbs

I live out in the suburbs, Loudoun County. I absolutely hate the idea of working in DC every day, since it's such an obvious target city. When my wife used to work at the Navy Yard, I would always have in the back of my mind the slight worry that something would happen and I wouldn't be able to reach her. Recalling after the earthquake in 2011 and after 9/11, phone lines were down because they were overloaded. Same thing will happen again with any significant attack on the city. I'm really thankfully she doesn't work in the city anymore.

She left her job at the Navy Yard like 3 months before that shooting. Before that, she went through the same building where it occurred almost every day (cafeteria). Again, really thankful I don't have that nagging worry about her safety anymore.

To the question on has there been any threats:

http://wric.com/2015/11/23/u-s-issues-travel-warning-following-terror-attacks/

I live near Pax River Navy base and the town it's in is on the ISIS hit list.  so i have been aware of my surroundngs.. I pay attention in places that are apt to be likely targets,, but not so much that i won't go. I just notice.

the movies,, i won't go to a big movie on opening night..  mostly because i don't care about having to see any movie the minute it comes out, I don't care for the crowds, but I also don't want to be in the packed theater when the next loon opens fire. i don't really see this as altering anything, since i am not likely to ever feel the need to see a movie on opening night anyway.

I'll be there tomorrow night through Friday visiting the wife's grandparents for Thanksgiving.  Usually golf at the base so hopefully they don't have it restricted.

I try to keep track of my surroundings. I think that's a good thing to live by in general.

I'm not afraid of terrorists, or lone gunmen per se. I don't think I'll be involved in something like that and I'll always remain vigilant and confident that I can help stop something like that. I'm more afraid of a plane crashing due to mechanical failure than I am of hijacking.

What I am afraid of is bombs, nukes and stuff like that. Stuff I can't prevent or fight back.

I've had dreams involving seeing nukes go off miles away and all I can do is watch the mushroom cloud rise. Dreams about an invading force dropping bombs, literally over me. When we had that earthquake a few years back, my first thought was some sort of terrorist attack. I immediately ran out of the building I was in and looked northeast towards DC to see if there was any evidence. That is the kinda stuff that scares me.

Not particularly, but I'm in a situation where I'm pretty well insulated.  My office does a lot of telework so I only have to go to downtown DC a few times a week, and even then, my office building is off the beaten path, it isn't situated in the middle of the mall or anything.  I am close to Union Station, but it seems to me that with all the other potential targets in this city, the train station wouldn't be as high on the list as it might somewhere else.  We also don't fly often, most family we would visit is within driving distance, a few states away at most.

I'm not so much worried about myself as my kids, making sure they're safe and relatively insulated from this stuff.  They'll have plenty of time as adults to worry about it themselves.

I don't change my routine for the threat of someone walking next to me with a bomb strapped on their chest, or armed gunmen just walking around with AK's and shooting people at random without provocation. 

If that's the case then so be it. 

Day to day, I I focus on things I can control. Like not making myself an easy target for hustlers, predators, and any other sketchy individuals. I know that those people, even the worst of them, still assess risk. 

I also look very ethnic and have a ton of hair. Generally I'm the one being cased by others. 

*btw, you can include the police in that list on things I am cautious about. I'm always aware of cops around me at all times, because they case me too and they're usually dicks about it. 

I tend to cork an eyebrow when I'm having a converstation with someone and they mention they don't follow the news because it doesn't effect them. If you don't have your "eyes open", I don't know what to tell you because every animal on the planet knows they have to be aware of their surroundings to survive.

There are certain aspects of this world that are out of my control, though if a group comes out and says they want me dead, I'd like to at least know who and hopefully why. The safest computer is one that's unplugged and hidden under you bed, but that's not the way I want to live the rest of my life.  I refuse to give them that.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about fellow Americans then I am about "terrorists".  I'm getting a concealed next year not so I can go into hero mode, but because I don't like that feeling of being in a dollar store next to someone I can tell can't spell left or right having the power to end my life over something truely trivial.

I've come to feel part of the zombie obsession is individuals not only begging for a oppurtunity to say "I told you these would come in handy", but more so the glee for a bunch of easy targets.  I do not want to be an easy target.

Whether it be terrorists or the spree killer of the month, no, it has not changed my habits. Id be lying though, if I said it wasn't on my mind whenever I go out in public where there are large crowds, like sporting events, or the metro. Or an airport/plane

Im pretty attentive to whats going on around me, and always think of a potential exit route in every place I enter, if things go bad. But beyond that, business as usual.

If something happens, it happens. Its basically cosmic lottery... anyone, anywhere, anytime. No use going crazy over it. You either let it control you, or you don't. I've already faced the cold shattering reality of a gun to my head, so the prospect of facing certain death isn't something that keeps me up at night.

When it comes to family and friends though, I do feel a considerable amount of concern for their safety. My family is pretty scattered (Sister and mother both live in Miami, though there are still several aunts and uncles there with them), so if something were to happen, with me not being around to do anything, it would be the most devastating emotional blow that I've ever received.

I don't think it has changed the way I act or behave much. Most of the precautions I See are designed to increase the illusion of safety vs. increasing absolute safety. More to the point, since I think absolute safety is impossible and I there is only so much I want to compromise my liberties for marginal increases... I choose to live my life without fear that someone may be after me.

I think vigilance is good, but the line between reasonable caution and destructive paranoia is easily crossed.

I used to roam the streets of southeast DC before it was a yuppy town.  Grew up in PG county.  The sniper shot a kid around the corner from my house.  Traveled the world.  Nothing you can change, if he comes knockin and you are in the wrong place....you can't live in fear.  Now I was in a mosh pit at HFStival when I was out of my 20's.  That **** was terrorizing.

I'm not white and I live in a rural area and I've noticed people seem to eye me up more than previously when I'm out in public.

Just wear an American flag shirt everywhere you go, every day of the week. And a red white and blue bandana.

Also, maybe get a pet bald eagle to ride on your shoulder. That might get tricky though with the neighbors toy poodle. But still something to consider

Just wear an American flag shirt everywhere you go, every day of the week. And a red white and blue bandana.

Also, maybe get a pet bald eagle to ride on your shoulder. That might get tricky though with the neighbors toy poodle. But still something to consider

Is go with the dirty biker look. People may think they sell meth but no one sees a dirty biker and thinks ISIS.

He could just do what Saba Ahmed did on Fox News

Heads explode (wrong word perhaps?) American flag hijab! I thought that was illegal

hijab19n1web.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlar

Nope.

What are the odds of you being killed or wounded in a terrorist attack?

What are the odds of you dying while driving?

How are you changing your driving habits to reduce the risk?

Driving fatality is my fault even with a drunk driver on the other end.  I drive a big ass truck.  Terrorist attack I have no control over.  My wife asked me to go see SPECTRE tonight.  I said no.  Dropped off the girls at the bowling alley with freinds.  My boy is happy on BO3 on the PS4 and we are comfotable at home looking at the Christmas Tree watching all the nonsense she recorded on DVR.... 3rd world problems I guess.

I thought about it when I went to the game vs the Saints. We were driving up to the DMV Friday so the Paris attack was all over the news. Then of course he warnings about stepping up security at the game. I didn't see much extra security, but I definitely thought about it before I went and even some while inside the stadium during warmups.

I've also thought about what would happen if a nut starts shooting in a theatre or some other crowded place I'm in. It hasn't changed my routine, but it's something I think about.

Driving fatality is my fault even with a drunk driver on the other end.  I drive a big ass truck.

Nope. There are many ways to die on the roads that are totally out of your control, and all far, far more likely than a terrorist attack.

You are not evaluating risks accurately. You are irrational and fearful. That's a far from optimal way to live your life.

1 in 20,000,000 chance of being killed in a terror attack in America.

1 in 800,000 chance of drowning in a bathtub.

1 in 12,000 chance of being struck by lightning in your lifetime.

1 in 77.4 chance of dying in a car accident in your lifetime.

Yeah, worry about the terror attack. While you are worrying, start paying the financial manager you hire to be on retainer for the lottery windfall you are worried about.

Archived