Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has the Threat of Terrorism Changed Your Awareness?

KingGibbs

The "it's all how you carry yourself" mantra is full of fluff.

Yes, there is a difference between looking like a victim and looking like you're suppose to be somewhere, but if you're going to get jacked, you're going to get jacked.

I think that is what people are saying when they say it is how you carry yourself.

While I hate that my wife goes Black Friday shopping, I suggest to not wear her jewelry and make her and my MIL targets. She hates it, but understands. She still calls me paranoid. I think I would feel guilty if I didn't tell her and something happened to either of them.

Granted it's just money, and insured. My issue is the potential for someone noticing the ice and trying her.

EDIT: Mary like a boss.  Standing ovation.

I think that is what people are saying when they say it is how you carry yourself.

Yes. It is.  Act like you've got something to prove, just like a potential attacker would.  Walk with a purpose.  Don't giggle around on your phone.

I look around my car at least a half dozen times before I un-buckle the seatbelt that I now wear because pjfootballer wants me to. :) 

My husband has started meeting me in the yard when I get home, because I'm usually carrying stuff...we've had a buttload of people getting robbed lately in our area.

Just give a good look around.  If you don't feel like everything's right, stay put & keep watching.  If things still don't seem right, MOVE.  Not too quick, just go.

I don't know if my daily routine has changed, but I feel like I've become more aware of my surroundings.

Supposed to go on a bus trip to NYC in a couple of weeks. Thinking that may not happen.

What has changed since forever, even before 9/11? There is always a threat of unlikely **** going down. That being said, I do feel better living in Brooklyn as opposed to the island where I used to.

I have made it a point to try my hardest to not let the idea of terrorists alter my plans and life's enjoyments.  That said, everyone should exercise a certain degree of situational awareness on a daily basis. 

Now, do I likely look around when I am at the airport and scan the crowds a bit more than normal?  Well, I don't like my answer, but the answer is yes.  If I saw someone entering the plan I am on and they fit the visual of these jihadi's I can't lie and say I have zero reaction.  Not all muslim's are bad, but how do you know which ones are?  I don't have the answer.

Now, one way I have to admit, it has altered the list of foreign countries I would like to visit.  There are a few off the list given the climate of concern around the globe.

Archived