Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

I'm seriously starting to doubt the ability of the US to come back from this Presidency unless some of these things are over turned (quickly) in court or by Congress.

People that are a net positive economic gain come here with the idea of getting green card.  If a US green card is meaningless and can be essentially rendered null and void by the signature of a President in the future people that are capable of coming here and contributing are going to look elsewhere that is more welcoming to immigrants and takes immigration policy seriously.

This is going to affect immigration patterns beyond a Trump Presidency, and if it is Muslims today, why can't it be Chinese (maybe we become worried about Chinese spies and national security) or some other group tomorrow.

Yes, there are risk, but you don't become great without risks.

We don't look like the home of the brave to me.  We are looking like the home of the scared and timid to me.

On another note, does anybody not think this effort to single out Christians doesn't affect our ability to fight ISIS?

It seems like telling Iraqis that we really want their oil, and then telling the many Muslim Iraqis that have helped us over the last decade+ that they don't matter much to us because of their religion doesn't seem like a good way to get their (future) cooperation in fighting ISIS and Islamic extremists.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 6

I find myself worrying that this policy could be extended to include other countries that are hostile toward the United States. I and my Chinese wife both live abroad now but we want to move back to America some day. Is Trump going to make it harder for me to get my wife into the country? If I can't get her in then I'd essentially become an outcast from my own country, unable to return home without leaving my wife behind. It pains me to think that there are likely some for who this is already a reality. An American who married a spouse from

any of these 7 countries is now in that nightmare scenario.

Edited by DallasCowboyFan156
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

Not going to lie. Felt a little pain for the good people that this will affect.

How many bad people do you think this will actually affect? Is it beyond ISIS abilities to get a passport from a country not on the list if they want to put someone in the country?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

How many bad people do you think this will actually affect? Is it beyond ISIS abilities to get a passport from a country not on the list if they want to put someone in the country?

More likely they'd just recruit somebody that HAS a passport from one of the countries not on the list (how many of the 9/11 people were Suadis).

Though, I think he meant non-ISIS people.  Like Iraqis that aren't terrorists that actually want to come to the US.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If a US green card is meaningless and can be essentially rendered null and void by the signature of a President ...

The background check for Green Card applicants is the same as for naturalization. If Trump is not OK with green card holders then any naturalized citizens should also be denied.

43 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm seriously starting to doubt the ability of the US to come back from this Presidency unless some of these things are over turned (quickly) in court or by Congress.

We can never surrender the belief that we, as a nation, will come back from this train wreck. In fact, every time he does this kind of **** we must reconfirm our resistance to his madness. 

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure an injunction or two on this will come down from District Courts, followed by a flurry of angry tweeting, and eventually it will reach SCOTUS.

I'm not the biggest fan of John Roberts, but I think he and Kennedy will do the right thing here.  Hopefully.

1 hour ago, DallasCowboyFan156 said:

I find myself worrying that this policy could be extended to include other countries that are hostile toward the United States. I and my Chinese wife both live abroad now but we want to move back to America some day. Is Trump going to make it harder for me to get my wife into the country? If I can't get her in then I'd essentially become an outcast from my own country, unable to return home without leaving my wife behind. It pains me to think that there are likely some for who this is already a reality. An American who married a spouse from any of these 7 countries is now in that nightmare scenario.

That's interesting, I'm pondering what my next move should be if Sino-American relations become actively hostile and war breaks out. The US is not the place to be right now.

I have family in Munich, guess I could hide out there for a bit if **** hits the fan.

• Like 1

Those countries will retaliate by possibly blocking Americans from entering their country, but it is not enough.  All middle eastern countries need to unite and retaliate, including Saudi Arabia.  Pakistan should kick out all Americans.

Note: Not trying to cheer against America, but Trump needs to be taught a lesson.  He is just a dumbass.

Edited by redskins59

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Those countries will retaliate by possibly blocking Americans from entering their country, but it is not enough.  

Oh no, I'm gonna have to cancel the family vacation to the middle east.

Edited by jschuck12001

Just now, jschuck12001 said:

Yep, gonna have to cancel the family vacation to the middle east.

Pakistan for example is very important when it comes to war against terror.  Al Zawahiri (sp?) is still hiding somewhere in Pakistan.  So yeah, if Pakistan retaliates in terms of not sharing intelligence info with the United States, it will mean that we will be less safe.

• Like 2