Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

So, quick thread poll on my state of mind. 1 to 10 in paranoia.

I only post my thoughts on all of this on this site. (Why i have decided this site is OK, i don't know.. i think it's just me needing an outlet.)
Facebook, twitter.. any other social media... nope..   i am actually concerned about on which lists I will end up.

I don't trust any of this. And i actively curtail my usage of such sites for fear of one day being on those lists.

Am i going nuts?

~Bang

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

So, quick thread poll on my state of mind. 1 to 10 in paranoia.

I only post my thoughts on all of this on this site. (Why i have decided this site is OK, i don't know.. i think it's just me needing an outlet.)
Facebook, twitter.. any other social media... nope..   i am actually concerned about on which lists I will end up.

I don't trust any of this. And i actively curtail my usage of such sites for fear of one day being on those lists.

Am i going nuts?

~Bang

No, I think you are being smart. I'm not as disciplined, but I have cut back my political posting a little. I do think it's important though to stand and to advocate so I'm being sliced by both sides of the sword.

Be loud and proud. Paranoia is how authoritarians win.

It's nice to have a reminder every now and then of how many chicken **** cowards we have in this country.

Half the reason rural america is in decline is because no one wants to live alongside paranoid racists and bigots. But nah, economic anxiety something something. 

Everyone who voted for this bigot owns this global embarrassment.

3 hours ago, redskins59 said:

Trump is just not thinking at all.  How do you think Muslims in this country are feeling right now?  Does this make America more safe or less safe?  Will there be more people who want to commit acts of terrorism against the United States?

Expect one angry person who is pissed off with life anyway deciding to lash out, thereby giving validation to Trump.

29 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Be loud and proud. Paranoia is how authoritarians win.

It's nice to have a reminder every now and then of how many chicken **** cowards we have in this country.

Half the reason rural america is in decline is because no one wants to live alongside paranoid racists and bigots. But nah, economic anxiety something something. 

Everyone who voted for this bigot owns this global embarrassment.

You know something, Rural America was probably never great. They like blaming immigrants and liberals and what have you, but they probably weren't the ones responsible for making this country great to begin with.

For a long time people have said that Trump's rash statements were only words, however offensive, let's see what he actually does. Even if he intended his executive action on immigration to apply to high risk individuals he's actually refusing entry to green card holders who go through extensive background checks, and far more than than any citizen. 

Yup, even Green Card holders are stuck.  Iranians in this country are one of the most successful groups out there right next to the Indians and the Chinese.  I have never heard of an Iranian Islamic terrorist.  Remember that one Iranian who gunned down people in Germany.  Turned out that he was actually a Nazi sympathizer dreaming of an Aryan homeland.  The media did not cover the story once this fact came out.  Islamic terrorist probably gives better ratings than a Nazi supremacist.

51 minutes ago, Bang said:

I dunno about smart..   even to me it seems pretty paranoid. 

But i do not know how deep this will all go, and as i've said in other posts.. historic correlations are too close to ignore.

Meh ... as a white male heterosexual they'll come for you last, so there is that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I am a brown male and an atheist with a thick black beard. If I'm not worried, the rest of you are peachy.

Nice Sagan quote. He was always a hero of mine and I consider him the best evidence we have for intelligent extraterrestrials or time travellers from the future having visited us.

Here's another quote of his from Pale Blue Dot.

bluedot.jpg

“Ann Druyan suggests an experiment: Look back again at the pale blue dot of the preceding chapter. Take a good long look at it. Stare at the dot for any length of time and then try to convince yourself that God created the whole Universe for one of the 10 million or so species of life that inhabit that speck of dust. Now take it a step further: Imagine that everything was made just for a single shade of that species, or gender, or ethnic or religious subdivision. If this doesn’t strike you as unlikely, pick another dot. Imagine it to be inhabited by a different form of intelligent life. They, too, cherish the notion of a God who has created everything for their benefit. How seriously do you take their claim?” 

US Border patrol is deciding reentry for green card holders on a case by case basis - questions abt political views, chking facebook, etc

If border agents are questioning people on their political views to determine who to let in, there must be clear guidance on what are the correct and permitted political views for entry into the USA.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2

Congress needs to grow a spine and put a legislative end to this nonsense.  It's hard to imagine an action more fundamentally offensive to the principles of this country.

And for my fellow Christians who have stood silently by as snake charmers and hucksters trample on the teachings of Christ and use our beliefs as a stepping stool for power, shame on you.  Shame on all of us.  We have let the Sadducees and Pharisees hijack Christianity.  

Image result for sermon on the mount

• Like 3

“Who is the person we need to talk to?” asked a lawyer.
“Call Mr. Trump." said a Customs & Border Protection agent. http://nyti.ms/2jA1ORf

In very different times, long before 9/11, I was stopped by a border agent and told in no uncertain terms that a visa I had been using for entry into the USA for work for more than a year was not valid. I could not enter the USA and would have to leave the USA ,on the next available flight at my own expense. And this was for a very common visa, issued by the USA embassy in London and permanently fixed in my passport. That my young family was living in the country, and waiting in the arrivals lounge, and I owned a house ten miles from the airport was irrelevant to his chain of thought on whether he might be mistaken. I asked to speak to his supervisor who realized that his subordinate was a mouth breathing moron and waved me through. Putting peoples lives, and America's reputation with visitors in the hands of incompetent, indifferent and ignorant 'mall cops' is not a good thing for the USA. And now the competent ones lack proper guidance and procedure thanks to Trumps executive action.

• Like 1

ACLU and CAIR better be filing for injunction in every District Court in the country.  Let's see how Trump likes the "All it takes is one" approach to nationwide injunction.

Have you no sense of decency, Mr. President, at long last?  Have you left no sense of decency?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The more personal stories people share the better. It's clear that there is no critical thinking within the Trump administration when it comes to the potential impact of these executive orders. 

There is critical thinking I think. They just don't give a ****.

Paul Ryan and Mike Pence were pretending a year ago that such an act would "go against our values".

Today they release statements supporting it. There is no compassionate and moderate GOP. Just a bigoted group of backwards assholes. 

• Like 1