Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Also hoping that people involved, including protesters and DHS employees, stay calm and peaceful, here. Both because I don't want escalation, and because it gives the Trumpers room to walk back their stupidity. 

And, if the Trumpers "clarify" their policies, pretend to believe them, and let them back it down. 

8 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I am ashamed. As a vet, as an American, as a human. 

I think "people like you" here (we're lucky to have a handful)---decent, smart, conservatives who are still grounded pretty much to reality, even allowing for partisanship--are like the "good Christians" lol I was describing in my previous post. You guys will have the cred in your circles of bubbles and can keep it out there that this **** isn't ok with you, either. They're not gonna listen to non-conservatives.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Larry said:

All these protests and all make nice photo ops. But y'know, this problem could have been solved simply by voting

Still, I suppose it could be worse. I mean, we could all be living in a place where President Hillary would be using a private email account, and appointing moderate Supreme Court justices. (To get them confirmed by the Republican Senate). 

Sorry but again the Democrats only have themselves to blame. The leaders at the top are one of the main reasons we are in this mess to begin with. The Podesta emails showed us they propped up Trump because they thought there was no way he could win and having Trump would take the eyes off the endless baggage that would have come with "President Hillary". One of the emails from Podesta was even asking for the media to prop up Cruz, Trump and Carson early in the primaries. These guys were so bad there was no way Hillary couldn't win. The DNC undermined Bernie Sanders to push through Clinton which was proven by the DNC emails. It was corruption at the top levels of the Democratic Party that has put us here.

The current Democratic Party should be never trusted again and unless they change Trump will be in office for 8 years. Not only that, if they keep carrying on the way they are now the GOP is going to gain more seats in 2018. You think the people that already voted for Trump aren't having their resolve strengthened when they see the way some liberals are acting like children? Seeing them commit violence, far from peaceful protests, talking about blowing up the White House, being called Nazis... not only are they being pushed further right, people in the middle are also going right. They run anyone other than a member from the Clinton Crime Family, there wouldn't have been a president Trump. So yes Democrats, please vote... vote these imbeciles out of power and get some sane people at the top of your party before it's too late for all of us because the Democrats won't be swaying Trump supporters over to their side with their current actions. The Election results map showed us democrats don't have the votes outside of California and New York.

Edited by Zazzaro703

1 hour ago, Larry said:

All these protests and all make nice photo ops. But y'know, this problem could have been solved simply by voting

While I highly doubt if another election was held right now that Trump would win (a lot of people thought the pivot would be real after he won...it's not), Hillary still did win the popular vote.  I'll bet an overwhelming majority of those people DID vote.  If you're politically motivated enough to spontaneously go to an airport to protest, using homemade signs, you're probably politically motivated enough to vote.

Now, sure, some of those people protesting probably voted for people besides Hillary, but then we have to amend you statement to "solved simply by voting for Hillary," which, while quite true, opens up a political debate about it being people's civic duties to have voted for Hillary.

10 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Sorry but again the Democrats only have themselves to blame. The leaders at the top are one of the main reasons we are in this mess to begin with. The Podesta emails showed us they propped up Trump because they thought there was no way he could win and having Trump would take the eyes off the endless baggage that would have come with "President Hillary". One of the emails from Podesta was even asking for the media to prop up Cruz, Trump and Carson early in the primaries. These guys were so bad there was no way Hillary couldn't win. The DNC undermined Bernie Sanders to push through Clinton which was proven by the DNC emails. It was corruption at the top levels of the Democratic Party that has put us here.

The current Democratic Party should be never trusted again and unless they change Trump will be in office for 8 years. Not only that, if they keep carrying on the way they are now the GOP is going to gain more seats in 2018. You think the people that already voted for Trump aren't having their resolve strengthened when they see the way some liberals are acting like children? Seeing them commit violence, far from peaceful protests, talking about blowing up the White House, being called Nazis... not only are they being pushed further right, people in the middle are also going right. They run anyone other than a member from the Clinton Crime Family, there wouldn't have been a president Trump. So yes Democrats, please vote... vote these imbeciles out of power and get some sane people at the top of your party before it's too late for all of us because the Democrats won't be swaying Trump supporters over to their side with their current actions. The Election results map showed us democrats don't have the votes outside of California and New York.

So, am I reading you correctly?  

Would the the nation be better off, today, if Hillary had won?  In your opinion.  

zazzro, the only time you do your lecture-y drive-bys is to bust the balls on the dems/llefties/libs and usually end up like it's all the left's fault but it's the left that needs to fix it., and in the process do your little pookie dance about hillary and rub your little clinton-hater raw (jesus let it go), and on to podesta, and the dnc, and e-mails, while you make out like you aren't backing trump (i don't care if you are or not; doesn't matter)..... this show is getting old ....change some **** up 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

If you're politically motivated enough to spontaneously go to an airport to protest, using homemade signs, you're probably politically motivated enough to vote.

Valid point. I'm probably just looking for something to beat on. 

Anybody got got a spare cat?  

Surely it couldn't be the fault of naive centrists and conservatives who convinced themselves Trump would pivot. Or that these sentiments could even *be* excused by the pitiful notion that it's "just campaign talk." What a crock.

Oh, and back to the ban, there's this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/countries-where-trump-does-business-are-not-hit-by-new-travel-restrictions/ar-AAmm8cf?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I think "people like you" here (we're lucky to have a handful)---decent, smart, conservatives who are still grounded pretty much to reality, even allowing for partisanship--are like the "good Christians" lol I was describing in my previous post. You guys will have the cred in your circles of bubbles and can keep it out there that this **** isn't ok with you, either. They're not gonna listen to non-conservatives.

I can assure you this is not what i gave 8 years of my life for. This **** is insane, and I can proudly say i didn't vote for him. I would NOT enforce these orders if I was working at an airport. I would go to jail. 

• Like 8

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

My wife and I are going to the courthouse Monday morning to change get our voter registration from Republican to independent.  This **** isn't right.

My wife tried calling our senators.  Both mailboxes are full.

I was thinking of you, too, when I made a comment to popeman earlier about how badly we will need honest intelligent conservatives still grounded in decency and reality, if this **** really keeps going off the rails

• Like 2

Just now, Jumbo said:

I was thinking of you, too, when I made a comment to popeman earlier about how badly we will need honest intelligent conservatives still grounded in decency and reality, if this **** really keeps going off the rails

This **** is off the rails, and there isn't much hope of finding them again. 

Just now, Jumbo said:

Thank you.  Unfortunately because of my job, I can't be as vocal as I'd like.  But I will do everything I legally can.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I can assure you this is not what i gave 8 years of my life for. This **** is insane, and I can proudly say i didn't vote for him. I would NOT enforce these orders if I was working at an airport. I would go to jail. 

I'm with you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Yeah, my job limits what I can actually do. The GOP will NEVER get a vote from me again. 

I won't go that far.  I will continue to judge each candidate on their merits.  But how they responded to this will carry a lot of weight.

Edit:  I don't expect to be voting R for a while but I refuse to judge a person solely by the letter next to their name.  Hopefully my point is understood.  Don't really know how to put it into words.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 2

I sincerely hope that the Ryan and McConnell and other GOP on Capitol Hill see things the way you two do.  

I know that being in Congress can sometimes create a bubble, but the outrage here almost certainly has reached all of their ears.  The question will be if they heed it.  I hope they do.  Some laws countering these executive orders could help; if Congress stands up to Trump's excesses early on, perhaps even without extreme options like impeachment, the country could be kept from too many crazy things happening.

And you know, if Trump would just "clarify his position", to saying that he will no longer approve NEW visas and things, to applicants from those countries, he probably defuses this whole Trumpster fire. (Can I get credit for that phrase?). 

If nothing else, if moves the fight's venue from mobs of people in front of major international airports, tonight, to ACLU lawyers filing motions in the federal courthouse, six weeks from now.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I won't go that far.  I will continue to judge each candidate on their merits.  But how they responded to this will carry a lot of weight.

Edit:  I don't expect to be voting R for a while but I refuse to judge a person solely by the letter next to their name.  Hopefully my point is understood.  Don't really know how to put it into words.

I got you. Never may be too strong a word, but it will damn sure be a while. 

• Like 2

I keep wishing I had the energy to try to star some sort of centrist (original, i know lol) party, trying to take the best thinking and learning from left and right, adding dashes of whatever worked from others...emphasize specific social values sans the religion... sanity, balance, strength, decency, efficacy, transparency (honesty), diversity,...and craft policies that first must actually work pragmatically (or you're fired lol) and expected to feature serious and real compromise more as a rule than not....sorry...all my hard-earned cynicism and i still have moments of starry-eyed hope...

• Like 1

I just turned on Fox News to see if they could even try to defend this.  There is a little kid being interviewed obviously regurgitating trump talking points that his parents must have fed him.  That should be illegal.  Even if it was the left the kid was parroting this is obviously brainwashing of a child and should be grounds for child abuse.