Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

So many people are so sure about Cousins (one way or another), so let's hear some predictions.

I'll set the over-under for the 1st team offense with Kirk at the helm tonight at 17.5 . . .

They're going to score because the guys issue has never been with the preseason. He's always looked like a world beater in preseason.

I admit that I'm excited about tonight for a very specific reason: 

I believe that tonight will begin to strip away talking points/excuses from certain factions of the fan base.... 

"I am rooting for Cousins to Wally Pipp Griffin and take over this team."

Me too, except I no longer have a horse in this race.  I don't care who leads us to wins at this point, just a move in that direction.  I see things written about Robert being not invited to parties, aloof, and so much more.  RGIII is the guy I WANT to win, but....I just don't know anymore.  I want to win friggin games. I DON'T care who it is.  As a fan I'm just tired of it all.  Maybe RG's spotlight just shines too bright, It's a confusing time. I've (honestly) rooted against Kirk, but tonight, I'm his biggest fan....I want to see....something. It's a FANTASTIC test; at Baltimore, with his future, our future, on the line.  I really hope he rises up because I love our team & HATE the Ratbirds.  Honestly, if he plays well the discussion is over. Hail

Hey TD, wasn't trying to single out your stats.  Just came off the top of my head as a post I had read, and I understand your premise for posting those. 

To simplify my opinion, there are people who believe that Kirk can be the guy.  You mention some 'above average' QBs that have led their teams to some sustainable success.  I don't think Cousins is nearly as good as any of those guys.  And because of that, I don't think he can have a similar career trajectory in DC.  

I've mentioned before that I don't think Kirk has the arm talent to be a good starter for an entire season.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14880/kirk-cousins

If you look at his stats in the second half of games, and his stats after he is required to throw more than 20 passes, his ratings drop significantly.  I understand that this is a small sample size, but I think he wears down mentally and physically over the course of a game, leading to a lot of his mistakes.

Cousins has been here for two years under Gruden.  Gruden has seen him play everyday.  Gruden still thinks that McCoy and Cousins should split reps.  I just think if Cousins had the potential to be as good as some of the 'above average' guys you mentioned, he would have stayed under center last season and been given the opportunity to earn a starting spot this season.

I'm not trying to start a rumble, all I want to do is win.  I hope like hell Captain Kirk puts on a cape and makes believers out of all of us.  I'm sure we can agree on that. :)

Damn, I gotta say, that link was incredibly useful when it comes to understanding what the coaches see and what the GMs of other teams see when evaluating Kirk (and subsequently never trying to trade for him like we've been trying to get them to do for years). After looking at Kirk's splits, I compared them to a couple very-good-but-not-elite QBs to see how far away from them he is, and wow, in certain areas the difference is massive. It's not just that he gets worse the longer he plays; take a look at how badly he handles the blitz, for example (scroll all the way to the bottom), and then compare those numbers to, say, Matt Ryan's. It's night and day.

God, this is depressing. Kirk can have some brilliant moments--his play in the Eagles game last year was some of the best by any quarterback all season--but those stats really do paint a picture of a guy who can be outmaneuvered by good defensive coordinators. I had high hopes for him, and I guess I still do, but he needs to improve a lot more than just his interception rate.

I've (honestly) rooted against Kirk, but tonight, I'm his biggest fan....

You must mean when he was at Michigan State? :lol:

Crazy, at first I though you meant you were rooting against a Redskin player when he was playing football... in a Redskin uniform. :ph34r:

Since the word is the Redskins have named Cousins the starter for week one, it is safe to say that the chance of Cousins starting all sixteen games is zero.  It is only 50/50 that he will start game one.

Seriously, good luck to Cousins in today's preseason game.  This is the most important game of his professional career.  ( I am just channeling Joe Theismann.)

Right, if Kirk is now the Week 1 starter, he comes under the same scrutiny as his predecessor in the role. 

Starting tonight in the dress rehearsal. 

You now hold all our hopes in dreams in your hands #8. We expect big things. That's what comes with the second biggest gig in town outside of that Obama dude. 

Here's praying you're finally upto the task. 

Hail. 

Please remember... this is still Kirk Cousins and this is still a rebuilding team.

A miracle worker did not just luck into a start here.

Let's be realistic about expectation management and...

Ah... who am I kidding?

The proverbial crushing grip of logic, here.

Will obviously be rooting hard, and we'll most likely be getting some attractive football blended with some WTFs... but my advice is to root for some of the youth or pick a unit to root for improvement on.

(psst... hedge your bets and don't pick STs to focus on!)

Off topic, but to run with your thoughts - bummed we won't see some of these guys in action - Breeland, Crowder, Kerrigan (ie. the actual 1st team D). But I'm looking forward to watching the OLBs, Spaight, Dunbar and a few others. Probably the most pertinent (besides maybe Cousins) is the oline- will they get the run game going? How will they look in pass pro?

Jason Reid ‏@JReidESPN 44m44 minutes ago

You read some of the good reporting out there, and it's clear Snyder gave the new GM and HC the authority they sought in this situation.

Jason Reid ‏@JReidESPN 40m40 minutes ago

As I've said on @ESPNRadio980, I don't know if Cousins will make the most of his reprieve. Only time will tell. Maybe he isn't the answer.

Am I imagining things, or are all the "I like Kirk" folks hedging their bets tonight?

with Kirk at the helm (and the known commodity he is) I think we are a pretty good team this year.

Feel terrible for Robert, but I'll root for the QB.

kirk has been very patient throughout this whole process, I think he is genuinely a good guy.

I don't agree with Robert losing his job this way, but I think Kirk deserved a shot to start in the NFL.

Hope he does well tonight, and the drama around here finally stops.

My prediction is that Kirk does solid tonight.  The first team offense actually moves the ball, you'll see a couple passes over 20 yards and maybe one sack.  The ball gets out quicker and the offense looks more lively.

I like Kirk, I think he's a solid backup but I'm not sure if he's starting material.  I'd love it if he developed into a good QB.  It's obvious that the franchise QB isn't on this roster, though. 

I want to see Kirk Cousins start 16 games this fall.  I've given up on the bust I want to see if Cousins can get over the hump before he is lost at the end of the season.

Well, I'm awfully late to this thread but I could see this thread was going to be a lightning rod from miles away. LOL

With that said, I just wanna win. I don't care who starts, but I'm at that point that Griffin is ruined. His speed is gone, he locks in to one guy too long, the line still looks questionable and he's just become gun shy behind a line who almost appears to want him killed. Such a shame, but it does go back to Shanahan putting Griffin's career on the line in the playoffs when he was already hurt and needed to be seated.

Archived