Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

I'm anxious to see what Cousins brings to the table in this start. I don't think the coaching staff looked at him the same after that Giants performance. Not that he threw the interceptions but how he reacted to adversity. He looked like he wanted to dig himself a hole and bury himself in it. For all of Griffin's flaws, he doesn't lack confidence on the football field and he doesn't get broken (mentally lol). We'll see if Cousins has changed.

okay okay...I guess I will add my 2 cents worth.

it would appear that the Redskins are much closer to making a decision on Robert than we thought. Scott M has seen enough and they are using this concussion excuse to hold Robert out and give Kirk his opportunity to prove himself with the starters.

By letting Cousins play with the STARTERS, we will all have the answer to the eternal mystery of "is Captain Kirk playing well just because he is playing against backups?". Well now we will find out, because the Skins have a legitimate excuse to start Kirk but without hurting Roberts huge ego or destroying his confidence.

In addition, I also believe that this concussion has knocked some sense into the administrators over at Redskins Park. I think they  have finally realized "oh boy...if Robert gets another concussion this season, we may be forced to pay him 16 MILLION DOLLARS regardless of whether we want him or not". So folks, this is big. Really BIG. This game is a game changer....so to speak....for Kirk Cousins as well as the Redskins organization. Saturday night, we may be witnessing the Redskins opening day starter vs Baltimore.

Please.......Kirk would be starting if he was worth a darn.  He's a career back-up.

well actually Kirk IS starting. Check out that game in Baltimore Saturday night. So I guess he is no longer a career backup. He is now an official starter. How bout that?

well actually Kirk IS starting. Check out that game in Baltimore Saturday night. So I guess he is no longer a career backup. He is now an official starter. How bout that?

I think this thread can do without that.

As this will more than likely become the new RG3 thread... there's going to be plenty of opportunities to get that thrown back at you.

Not sure any true fan of this franchise should be happy this evening. 

EDIT:  Kind of feel like I did when Shanny lost out of the bye week in 2013 and you had that "yuck" feeling cause you knew it was over.

There is a professional man in charge here, now.  Doesn't mean it's going to taste good starting tomorrow.

As this will more than likely become the new RG3 thread... there's going to be plenty of opportunities to get that thrown back at you.

There's so many that are though DC9. Just take a look at Twitter, you'd think we just put Tom Brady in as the starter.

EDIT:  Kind of feel like I did when Shanny lost out of the bye week in 2013 and you had that "yuck" feeling cause you knew it was over.

There is a professional man in charge here, now.  Doesn't mean it's going to taste good starting tomorrow.

I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY....Yippeeeeeee. The starting Offense FINALLY has a chance to move the football...at least a chance.

I think, given Miami's line, Cousin gives us the best chance to win. He gets rid of the ball extremely fast. I wish RG3 well both personally and professionally, but there's no doubt in my mind that Kirk gives us the best chance to win right now. I would also say that I fear Cousins going to another team and burning us over RG3 doing the same.

I think, given Miami's line, Cousin gives us the best chance to win. He gets rid of the ball extremely fast. I wish RG3 well both personally and professionally, but there's no doubt in my mind that Kirk gives us the best chance to win right now. I would also say that I fear Cousins going to another team and burning us over RG3 doing the same.

There was no investment in Kirk to feel that way. Skins gave up a lot for Griffin 

I'm not happy that Robert might have a head injury more serious than originally thought.

I am happy that Kirk will get a chance though. As a fan of the franchise, I don't want to see us waste games on a QB who has no chance of panning out and who's inability to run the offense or process what's happening on the field is a hindrance to every other player on the offense.

Note that I'd only put the odds of Kirk panning out at about 15% but there is 0% chance that Robert succeeds here. Also, with Kirk out there at least the other guys on the team will have a chance to play football. 

The best thing to happen this year, baring a QB playing lights out and way above expectations, is for NEITHER QB to play all 16 games.  We dont need to win this year.  If we want to win for the next 5 years, or 10 years, we need to be OKAY spending one year NOT winning, but instead finding out if we have a good QB on the roster.  To do that, both must be given half the games to play.  The problem with Cousins starting the first half, is if he doesnt play super-amazing-lights-out then you have to start RG3 the second half, and while a very serious injury in week 3 isnt a big issue, one in week 16 is, and could mean we are on the hook next year.

So cousins knock is that he throws int's, but has a much better grasp of playing in an nfl style offense and you look at rg3 who can't play or even come close to looking like a compentent nfl qb. enough of this rg3 is superior BS, I was a big supporter of him but not anymore. I would play cousins the rest of the season and see what he can do. He has played a total of 9 nfl games, the guy deserves a chance to play the whole season.

Everyone is acting like Kirk is definitely gonna start week one.  I don't think that's a given.  I expect Griffin to get cleared next week and trot out of the tunnel for the Dolphins game.  

I understand that people want to give Kirk a shot.  And I understand why.  But to entertain the idea that he might be the savior of our franchise I think is more than wishful thinking.

Kirk has proven to be a decent QB.  Decent don't win championships.  My biggest fear is that Kirk plays just good enough for the FO to sign him to an extension and he leads us to a few years of mediocrity.

In short, I don't think Kirk is the guy.  I'd rather roll with Griffin, and if he fails then hopefully he fails on an epic level so we can roll into next year's draft well positioned to draft the next QB to fail in DC.  

No matter how it shakes out, this whole thing sucks.

Kirk is Gus. You guys are hopping on the Gus Bus again, aren't you? Thing is though that Gus beat Heath.

And frankly, Gus played better than Kirk. Something to consider- through two preseason games Kirk and Colt have nearly identical numbers.

It's fair to say that Kirk's outplaying Robert, but does it mean all that much if he isn't even outplaying Colt?

Confident        Can read D       Arm strength        Scramble            Accurate      Footwork    Pocket Presence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG3                        Y                                                 Y                           Y  .                     Y                       

Kirk                                                   ?                         Y                           Y                       Y                   Y                 Y

Colt                          Y                       Y                                                                               Y                   Y                  Y 

The reason I put a "?" for Kirk for reading the D is what has been a mechanical action at QB. He was well schooled that if primary read wasn't open, then throw to 2nd route. That puts the ball out there on time with accuracy. IMO, the problem was defensive coordinators would learn this by the 3rd game and then dictate where he was going to throw. That led to the INT problem. If that issue has been identified and corrected, then Kirk will do just fine for what we need him to do.

Like most posters here, I want Kirk to succeed not because I am anti-Robert, but because I am pro-Redskins. I pray that Robert has no long term effects and goes on to have an illustrious career (preferably here.) Fingers crossed for a strong TEAM showing tonight.

I understand that people want to give Kirk a shot.  And I understand why.  But to entertain the idea that he might be the savior of our franchise I think is more than wishful thinking.

Man I wish this savior talk could stop.  We don't need a savior, we just need a QB.  

We need a QB that can distribute the ball to the other players on offense.

That's all I'm asking from Kirk.  Not perfection, not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning, just a regular QB that drops back and throws with rhythm and timing most of the time.

Let RG3 fail on an epic level?  No.  It would also be better to leave that sentiment in the RG3 thread, this one is for Kirk.

You really mean let it continue and tank another season without letting the other offensive players participate?

They work too hard, imagine being a WR running a route to perfection just to look back and see the QB diving on a football because he scrambled and fumbled on 3rd and 15.  

Everyone on offense is counting on the QB to make or break their year, or even career.  Everyone looks bad when the QB play is inadequate.

The best thing the redskins could have done for themselves is create a strong qb competition. This would have brought out the best in both of these guys. I believe kirk and Robert would both be better qbs today because of it. Now We Have What We have. Maybe it will work out maybe not. In the NFL you have to be thorough to be successful and that is something we are not.

First of all I love the Beavis pic, I knew Butthead was the dumber one the whole time.

Yeah, competition would have been the way, it's what the coach wanted but he was apparently overruled.  

Everyone is acting like Kirk is definitely gonna start week one.  I don't think that's a given.  I expect Griffin to get cleared next week and trot out of the tunnel for the Dolphins game.  

Kirk has proven to be a decent QB.  Decent don't win championships.  My biggest fear is that Kirk plays just good enough for the FO to sign him to an extension and he leads us to a few years of mediocrity.

In short, I don't think Kirk is the guy.  I'd rather roll with Griffin, and if he fails then hopefully he fails on an epic level so we can roll into next year's draft well positioned to draft the next QB to fail in DC.  

No matter how it shakes out, this whole thing sucks.

I would much rather take a decent qb (cousins) than a crappy one (griffin) who will never understand how to play real nfl football. If Kirk is given the same "long" leash that griffin was given for the past 3 years, I believe he could run this team efficiently for the next few years.

Kirk is Gus. You guys are hopping on the Gus Bus again, aren't you? Thing is though that Gus beat Heath.

And frankly, Gus played better than Kirk. Something to consider- through two preseason games Kirk and Colt have nearly identical numbers.

It's fair to say that Kirk's outplaying Robert, but does it mean all that much if he isn't even outplaying Colt?

Then start Colt. Just don't start the guy who is playing by far the worst of all three. That's all I ask.

I admit that I'm excited about tonight for a very specific reason: 

I believe that tonight will begin to strip away talking points/excuses from certain factions of the fan base. Personally, I've been higher on Cousins than I've been on Griffin for a while now. However, I admit that it's been difficult to tangibly prove my stance because for all the positives (quick reads, moving the offense, scoring, etc.) he has absolutely been playing against inferior talent. 

So, tonight won't be definitive at all since it's only a couple/few quarters of one game, but it will start to either disprove or prove one side of the argument. If Cousins plays similarly to how he's played so far this preseason, then I think he earns himself more consideration (I don't know that he can WIN the job tonight). If he looks more like Griffin has, then I'll have to admit that maybe a lot of his success had to do with his opponents over the past couple weeks. 

Full disclosure, I'm exhausted with Griffin being a Redskin. I was uncomfortable having our team (even when good) defined by one player (fans chanting RG3 during our division championship run in 2012), I don't like all the drama that surrounds him, I think he's very fragile, etc. I am rooting for Cousins to Wally Pipp Griffin and take over this team. To me, that's the best possibly outcome since I believe he's a longer-term fit at the position. However, if he doesn't improve on last year and shake off the turnovers, it will be at least somewhat exciting to know without a doubt that we need McCloughan to hunt for a QB this off-season. 

I guess all I really want is an honest and true evaluation of the entire roster during these next 18 games. Even if EVERYTHING breaks perfectly for us, we are probably no better than a 6- or 7-win team. So, this should be Scot's opportunity to see all 53 guys in action to determine the priority of our rebuild. 

Best of luck to Cousins tonight - here's to hoping he's put in the work to take the next step in his game and that we start to see that translate to his play on the field. 

Archived