Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

It looks like Kirk is going to get a chance start at least against Miami in Week 1.  I hope he does well...or at least well enough that the Redskins win some games and he gets a chance to show what he can do.

I detest the glee that the local sports media is taking in Griffin's problems and injuries especially after the way they were on his jock in 2012. 

Man I wish this savior talk could stop.  We don't need a savior, we just need a QB.  

No.  We need a franchise QB.  And there are plenty of posts in here that insinuate that Kirk might be that guy if he was just given the same chance as Griffin.  Wouldn't comparing Peyton's rookie stats to Kirk's fall into that category?  

I poorly worded my 'epic fail' comment.  I have never pulled for us to lose a game in my life.  I just want to see Griffin play a whole season, injury free, which is probably never gonna happen because of his injury history.  And it was in conjunction with my fear that Cousins might be 'just good enough' for us to roll with him for a few years, kicking the championship/franchise QB can further down the road.  

I would rather draft and take a chance on developing a new QB than watch Kirk under center for the forseeable future.  I understand that we are a ways away from becoming a contender, but the process of finding a franchise QB must start asap.

If Cousins isn't the guy, then wasting time on him is just that.  

Dianna Marie RussiniVerified account‏@diannaESPN

Sources say the plan is not only to start Kirk Cousins tonight in Baltimore, but also week 1 against Miami.

Well, looks like he will start game 1 anyway. Do well, KC and hold onto the job.

Kirk is Gus. You guys are hopping on the Gus Bus again, aren't you? Thing is though that Gus beat Heath.

And frankly, Gus played better than Kirk. Something to consider- through two preseason games Kirk and Colt have nearly identical numbers.

It's fair to say that Kirk's outplaying Robert, but does it mean all that much if he isn't even outplaying Colt?

I'll take a Qb with a 15 year career at this point.

well actually Kirk IS starting. Check out that game in Baltimore Saturday night. So I guess he is no longer a career backup. He is now an official starter. How bout that?

Don't twist my words.  Of course back-ups get the opportunity to start when the starter is out or playing poorly.  It should be obvious that me saying he is a career back-up means that he will not be QB1 and not playing unless other circumstances allow him to do so.

No.  We need a franchise QB.  And there are plenty of posts in here that insinuate that Kirk might be that guy if he was just given the same chance as Griffin.  Wouldn't comparing Peyton's rookie stats to Kirk's fall into that category?  

I poorly worded my 'epic fail' comment.  I have never pulled for us to lose a game in my life.  I just want to see Griffin play a whole season, injury free, which is probably never gonna happen because of his injury history.  And it was in conjunction with my fear that Cousins might be 'just good enough' for us to roll with him for a few years, kicking the championship/franchise QB can further down the road.  

I would rather draft and take a chance on developing a new QB than watch Kirk under center for the forseeable future.  I understand that we are a ways away from becoming a contender, but the process of finding a franchise QB must start asap.

As the person who has compared Manning's rookie stats to Kirk's I can whole-heartedly say "no" that wasn't my point. I even included that caveat in most of those posts...but far be it from me to tear up your strawman. 

The point that I illustrated when I compared Cousins to Manning, Aikman, Elway, etc. is not that he will eventually be in their class. It was simply to show that throwing a lot of interceptions in your first 16 games doesn't always mean that you're destined to be Rex Grossman. Does that make sense? 

As for our team "needing a franchise QB" to compete. It doesn't. The 49ers (a team McCloughan helped to build, by the way) went to 3 straight conference title games with above average QBs. The Ravens have paid Flacco like a star, but do you really think he's a star anywhere he goes? The Skins simply need a guy who can run the offense and distribute the ball. If they can get that from Cousins, that's great. That plus a couple more years of improving the roster might finally lead us to some sustainable success. 

The point that I illustrated when I compared Cousins to Manning, Aikman, Elway, etc. is not that he will eventually be in their class. It was simply to show that throwing a lot of interceptions in your first 16 games doesn't always mean that you're destined to be Rex Grossman. Does that make sense? 

Hey TD, wasn't trying to single out your stats.  Just came off the top of my head as a post I had read, and I understand your premise for posting those. 

To simplify my opinion, there are people who believe that Kirk can be the guy.  You mention some 'above average' QBs that have led their teams to some sustainable success.  I don't think Cousins is nearly as good as any of those guys.  And because of that, I don't think he can have a similar career trajectory in DC.  

I've mentioned before that I don't think Kirk has the arm talent to be a good starter for an entire season.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14880/kirk-cousins

If you look at his stats in the second half of games, and his stats after he is required to throw more than 20 passes, his ratings drop significantly.  I understand that this is a small sample size, but I think he wears down mentally and physically over the course of a game, leading to a lot of his mistakes.

Cousins has been here for two years under Gruden.  Gruden has seen him play everyday.  Gruden still thinks that McCoy and Cousins should split reps.  I just think if Cousins had the potential to be as good as some of the 'above average' guys you mentioned, he would have stayed under center last season and been given the opportunity to earn a starting spot this season.

I'm not trying to start a rumble, all I want to do is win.  I hope like hell Captain Kirk puts on a cape and makes believers out of all of us.  I'm sure we can agree on that. :)

All I want is for Cousins to play smart football. I don't expect perfection just like I didn't from Griffin. I want him to be competent and over time make slow and steady improvement. And most of all I want to see him throw an interception and shake it off and not melt down. Young quarterbacks need the proper time and support to reach their full potential and that's something most fans of this team don't have anymore.

Dianna Marie RussiniVerified account‏@diannaESPN

Sources say the plan is not only to start Kirk Cousins tonight in Baltimore, but also week 1 against Miami.

Well, looks like he will start game 1 anyway. Do well, KC and hold onto the job.

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 6m6 minutes ago  Arlington, VA

Two people familiar with these matters insist no decision has been made on Cousins earning Week 1 start. Griffin is still the plan.

"ALL IN FOR WEEK ONE" still in play.  lol

No.  We need a franchise QB.  And there are plenty of posts in here that insinuate that Kirk might be that guy if he was just given the same chance as Griffin.  

Kirk might be a franchise QB, but we need to see more.  The draft is in the Spring, so I'm not sure what you're thinking we can do other than play it out with Kirk and/or Colt and decide based on their play.  There are no franchise QB's on the street that I know of.

What could be done asap?  College player evaluations are going to happen regardless of who plays QB.  

What I'm trying to say overall is that just because RG3 has failed it doesn't mean we need to hold Kirk to some impossible standard.  He is not a savior, or in need of any other hyperbolic statements, they just build up unrealistic expectations.

I just want a QB to distribute the ball to the other players on offense.  I want to evaluate the other players on offense, and see everyone get opportunities to play ball.  We have the whole season to debate whether to draft a QB or not.

Cousins has been here for two years under Gruden.  Gruden has seen him play everyday.  Gruden still thinks that McCoy and Cousins should split reps.  I just think if Cousins had the potential to be as good as some of the 'above average' guys you mentioned, he would have stayed under center last season and been given the opportunity to earn a starting spot this season.

I'm not trying to start a rumble, all I want to do is win.  I hope like hell Captain Kirk puts on a cape and makes believers out of all of us.  I'm sure we can agree on that. :)

So much wrong with that I'm not going to bother.

Yes, we can agree that we hope he is superman.  Heck, why not just assume he is a deity...then if he lets us down we can really stomp his ass.

Cousins in his what 5th and 6th games looked like a pro bowler, then Coughlin and the Gnats made him look like a 6th or 7th year Peyton Manning vs Belichick and the Pats. OMG, cut the dude.

Yeah, let's keep trotting out the guy who looks like he still doesn't know a thing about the qb position and gets injured 1/2 the time he improvieses due to not knowing wtf he is supposed to be doing.

Look, if we are going to start Cousins, we need to embrace it, period. That starts by cutting Griffin, as he will be a huge distraction. We should also not pull him in favor of Mccoy when (and not if) he struggles.

Cousins wants to be a starter. He wants to have a career as a QB in the NFL. That is a FAR higher pressure than even winning the superbowl.

If we take that pressure off Cousins, we will see a better Cousins. This is very important if we want to see him develop.

Had Dan Quinn gone to the Jets, the proposal he made to the Jets was that he wanted to trade for Cousins. So it is definitely not true that nobody wanted him.

All I want is for Cousins to play smart football. I don't expect perfection just like I didn't from Griffin. I want him to be competent and over time make slow and steady improvement. And most of all I want to see him throw an interception and shake it off and not melt down. Young quarterbacks need the proper time and support to reach their full potential and that's something most fans of this team don't have anymore.

He doesn't have any time that you speak of being this is the final year of his deal and he's not young. He's 27 now

Look, if we are going to start Cousins, we need to embrace it, period. That starts by cutting Griffin, as he will be a huge distraction. We should also not pull him in favor of Mccoy when (and not if) he struggles.

Cousins wants to be a starter. He wants to have a career as a QB in the NFL. That is a FAR higher pressure than even winning the superbowl.

If we take that pressure off Cousins, we will see a better Cousins. This is very important if we want to see him develop.

Had Dan Quinn gone to the Jets, the proposal he made to the Jets was that he wanted to trade for Cousins. So it is definitely not true that nobody wanted him.

Take the pressure off of Cousins? He needs to play well to keep the job period. The Skins are not going to do all these things to make him feel comfortable. He needs to go out and play. Final year of his deal. Make or break for him. 

Cousins in his what 5th and 6th games looked like a pro bowler, then Coughlin and the Gnats made him look like a 6th or 7th year Peyton Manning vs Belichick and the Pats. OMG, cut the dude.

Yeah, let's keep trotting out the guy who looks like he still doesn't know a thing about the qb position and gets injured 1/2 the time he improvieses due to not knowing wtf he is supposed to be doing.

And then he came out the very next week and hung one of the best QB performances of the year against Seattle's defense.

Seattle had the #1 defense in the NFL on a per-play basis per footballoutsiders.  Here's how Cousins' performance stacked up against all other QBs who played Seattle last year:

Cousins' stat line for the "struggle" of his future 4-12 team against future SB runners up and defending SB champs Seattle:

21/36, 283 yards, 58%, 7.9 ypa, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 1 sack

Seattle played 19 games last year, including 2 games against Rodgers, 1 against Brady, both Mannings, Rivers, and romoSUCKS.  Here's how Cousins' performance stacks up against those other guys:

Cousins ranks #4 of 19 in yards

Cousins ranks #1 of 19 in yards per attempt

Cousins ranks #3 of 19 in adjusted net yards per attempt (credits the QB with 20 yards for a TD, penalizes 45 yards for each INT, penalizes sack yards)

1 of only 3 QBs to throw 250+ yards, 2+ TDs, and 0 INTs (Rivers and romoSUCKS are the other two)

1 of 7 QBs to throw 2+ TDs and have more TDs than INTs

Well Shannahan still thinks he can be "a darn good QB in this league" for what it's worth.

I have been critical of Shanny but I've always thought he knows offense so this is what i am mostly hanging my hat on with Kirk, hopefully he's right. 

My fear is Kirk is like a whole bunch of also ran QBs -- Kolb, Mitchell, Feeley, Flynn, etc -- heck I can recall some around the NFL getting excited about Austin Davis after a couple of good games. We've seen some good samples and some bad, overall Kirk's numbers aren't good.  Having said that he deserves more than 9 games to show what he has.   He certainly gets the ball out of his hands fast, knows the offense, has decent pocket presence and his arm strength seems good enough.   

Just hope the whole drill about Jay really loving Colt because he can identify with him, etc is overblown.  Colt is fine IMO as a backup but his sample size is big enough to indicate he's no franchise QB.   If the decision is to run with Kirk, IMO he deserves multiple games to work out the kinks in his game.

So many people are so sure about Cousins (one way or another), so let's hear some predictions.

I'll set the over-under for the 1st team offense with Kirk at the helm tonight at 17.5 . . .

Between it being preseason and them playing Baltimore after them being embarrassed the week before -- I'd say 13 points or under.   Not much of that has to do with Kirk, I just think Baltimore will come to play tonight.

Archived