Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Additionally, good teams put themselves in low risk situations. Bad teams play from behind, leading to more big plays needed to be made quickly, leading to more pass attempts, leading to more picks.

The team that kneels the ball more typically wins the game. We should come out the gate every game and kneel every down.

Yep, that too.

Mark Bullock ‏@MarkBullockNFL  2m

For all those saying "Cousins got lucky on the TD", perhaps he did, but it was a perfect throw that Roberts dropped.

<MOD EDITED OUT PIC, member received 48 hour posting-restriction>

Yeah I made mention of that in the GDT. Granted Roberts doesn't score a TD if he catches that(unless he somehow breaks two tackles), but as I said at the time Cousins made a great play and ultimately was rewarded. The score was a lucky bounce sure but that play itself Cousins gets a check mark for making a great throw, while Suggs was about to crush him too.

I would give Kirk a thumbs up performance tonight, he didn't start the best but it's how he finished that really impressed me. If Griffin was in there, he would have been demolished and I don't think that anyone will argue that. Just having kirk's pocket awareness and good mechanics can really pay dividends. I think Kirk has matured a lot from last year and maybe, just maybe, we found an answer at qb. he just needs to follow this up with another good performance. If there are still RG3 homers out there that believe he will be playing again with the redskins, you can now officially close the door on his redskins career.

Turnovers suck, but I'll take 300 yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs over 125 yards 0 TDs but no turnovers. The first statline will give you a chance to win, the second gives you no chance.

Don't forget the fumbles. When you add in the fumbles RG3 had 10 turnovers to Kirk's 11 last year. I'll take picks over fumbles every time. The field position on QB fumbles kills you.

I'm happy to see Kirk come back from that interception and still to try and thread some passes to make plays. A bumpy beginning which is expected since he has taken much reps with the 1's and I'm sure this week in practice he will split some more time with no clearance as of yet for Griffin.

If Kirk is still our #1 going into the Jacksonville game, will he play seeing as though generally starters don't play preseason game #4? I would like him to play, especially against the Jaguars since their defense isn't as nearly as strong as the Ravens. He should, in theory, have a formidable showing in that game.

I'm happy to see Kirk come back from that interception and still to try and thread some passes to make plays. A bumpy beginning which is expected since he has taken much reps with the 1's and I'm sure this week in practice he will split some more time with no clearance as of yet for Griffin.

If Kirk is still our #1 going into the Jacksonville game, will he play seeing as though generally starters don't play game #4? I would like him to play, especially against the Jaguars since their defense isn't as nearly as strong as the Ravens. He should, in theory, have a formidable showing in that game.

We play the Dolphins, not the Jaguars.

If this is true then you have to get Griffin off of the team. It's gonna suck to cut him and get nothing back for what he cost us. But it will be refreshing to get rid of the distraction that is RG3.

qVbUArb.gif

As if cutting him at the beginning of the season will mean we won't here the media driveling on about everything RG3 does. :lol: This entire season is going to be all about RG3, whether he's here or not. Buckle up, cause it's going to be a looooooooong, bumpy ride.

When you run the west coast offense at a high level, it's hard to stop.  Kirk shows that potential -- period.  He gonna end up being the dude in the end if he doesn't get hurt. 

In fact, the great Joe Montana said when the west coast offense is run at a high level it totally frustrates defenses.   The dink and dunking drives players and coordinators crazy.  But it takes a certain skill set to run it at a high level.  Kirk shows the potential. 

Shanny knew what he was doing when taking Kirk.  He was insurance in case the experiment failed.  Which seems like it is.  Robert clearly struggles from the pocket.  He's not processing fast enough to run it effectively. Plus, has had two knew surgeries, a dislocated ankle, and concussion.   Not a great recipe for running the read constantly.  We have our quarterback from 2012.  It's just not going to be RG.  

Giving him the $16 million was boneheade.  Can't trade him.  No team wants nor will take that on.  They only did that to try and give the kid some confidence.  Have a full off season to prepare.   One last shot.   And he still can't beat out the other two.   It's showing.   To the point it's making the skins look stupid.  Should have been an open compeition.  Straight up.  May best man win.  Some team might give you 5th, 6th or 7th for Griff.   Not with that bonus on the table. 

Sometimes the original plan doesn't work in life.  If you correctly monitor the results, the data, which doesn't lie, and if you're not blind to bias, you will make the right decision.  When Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe, most people still thought Brady was an after thought.  (He was only picked in the 6th round).   After all Bledsoe was the number one pick in the draft.   Because Belechik is smart he had to make a decision between the two.

Bill made the right decision.   But he is smart.   Redskins not so much.  

Even Parcells jettisoned Bledsoe (the high pick) for some free agent name Tony romoSUCKS.   Whodathunk.   Like I said, the data don't lie.   Picks can eventually be corrected.  Pocket presence, vision and anticipation can't.

Not necessarily saying this is the same thing here with romoSUCKS and Brady.  But Kirk clearly shows much better command of this offense over both Griff and Colt. Certainly from a passing perspective.   New England said as much last year.

When you run the west coast offense at a high level, it's hard to stop.  Kirk shows that potential -- period.  He gonna end up being the dude in the end if he doesn't get hurt. 

Shanny knew what he was doing when taking Kirk.  He was insurance in case the experiment failed.  Which seems like it is.  We have our quarterback from 2012.  It's just not going to be RG.  

He shows potential to throw a bunch of picks.

We don't have anything...just another guy whose weaknesses are different from the other guy we have.  Cousins looks like the same exact player he was last year...he's going to make 2-3 throws a game that dumb throws in double coverage that have no chance of being completed.  How people think that this is a better option at QB just baffles me.

We don't have anything...just another guy whose weaknesses are different from the other guy we have.  Cousins looks like the same exact player he was last year...he's going to make 2-3 throws a game that dumb throws in double coverage that have no chance of being completed.  How people think that this is a better option at QB just baffles me.

Probably because Griffin turns the ball over just as often via fumbles, but Cousins actually puts points on the board. 

Don't get me wrong, before the preseason games started I was fully on board with making this Griffin's make or break year. Didn't like the Cousins distraction. But Griffin looks like he has the same problems, and Cousins are more easily manageable. I was willing to bet on Griffin's ceiling, but I'm less sure than ever that he's even capable of reaching 2012 Griffin's ceiling--its clear that guy doesn't exist anymore.

I read where someone said.  Kirk threw three more picks than Robert last year.   But robert was sacked 25 times more.  I would take the three picks over the 25 sacks.  

Plus the fumbles and the missed opportunities from Griffin, and the TD's from Kirk. I've been critical of Kirk in the past and will continue to be, but right now I'd rather live and die by his flaws than Griffin's. Because I'm not sure Griffin really has any strengths left to lean on.

Robert doesn't have the innate skills to be a great pocket passer, and that is not what we paid for when we drafted him.   When drafted that early we are hoping for greatness.  At least really good.  It's obvious Shanny hid his many flaws.  He clearly does not have the same explosion.  The read froze defenses and had to account for him running.   Now teams are better prepared for it.  Also teams have so much tape on him now they know how to defend him.

He clearly is not feared.  He's is a one trick pony.  Chip is his only shot.  And the way Bradford looks he ain't beating him out.  He's more Kordell Stewart looking like RG.

He really should have sat out more if not all 2013, rather than rushing back. Bad mistake by organization.  Still don't understand that.  If you have to wear a huge knee brace on your leg, you're not really ready to play.   Shanny and the organization fell for the "All In For Week One Hype."  Could you see Adrian Peterson trying to play with that knee brace after his surgery.  Of course not.    Not to mention, I've always thought he has had an insecurity about Kirk.  

He has been obssessed with keeping Kirk off the field.  Always trying to rush back.  Why?  Deep down the dude is insecure.  Why else would you profess yourself as the best qb on the team, when it has clearly shown you're not.  Data don't lie.  I'm a direct response marketer. 

Again thank Shanny for drafting Kirk.  Once Kirk master this offense,(which he hasn't yet -- but is on his way) we could end being a very formidable team and organization.  I could see Kirk being Trent Green, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger good in time.  

This is going to fun.  I'm more excited.

Well, if you think our better options are:

A - Tom Brady

B - Peyton Manning

C - Andrew Luck

D - Drew Brees

E - Tony Romo

I'm sorry to tell you those are not available in a trade nor in FA.

So we'll have to deal with what we have, and well I really doubt Griffin ever gets to that 2012 level again.

I read where someone said.  Kirk threw three more picks than Robert last year.   But robert was sacked 25 times more.  I would take the three picks over the 25 sacks.  

Argue that.

If you are talking about just a poster, it might be me on page 193 post 7706 of the RG3 thread, at the link below (if it sends you to the right spot)... it would be funny if it were me to have actually have brought up a point that was valuable enough to help assist later on, but I am sure it's been brought up before I just remembered saying that recently.  And actually, it was thesubmittedone's post only a few before on 7703 that really spurred the conversation and was a good post concerning roots and signs either type of "drive killer" can reveal.  I also will take 3 INTs over 25 sacks.  

http://es.redskins.com/topic/384859-official-rgiii-obsessivecompulsive-posting-thread-all-rg3-articlesnews-go-here-until-further-notice/page-193#entry10309229

I guess since this has come up and I was considering replying to Santana anyway (for similar reasons as the post I made a few days ago) now I might as well.

are you suggesting that both are equally as capable of winning the same number of games in the immediate future or are you saying that the risk/reward of playing cousins is not worth sacrificing for the "greater" risk/reward of RG3?  

Because, if you are talking about the 1st one, then yea I'm not sure what you are watching because RG3 struggles doing absolutely basic things whereas kirk can at least operate on a second level stage of QB play by comparison.  I mean 2-3 completions, a ton of hits and sacks, and a concussion just from pocket hits is not the same echelon as even a Cousins like tonight that threw an INT.

If you are talking about risk/rewards of playing Cousins just to eek out some extra wins that we may not get with RG3 starting the whole season at the expense of seeing what we *might* have in RG3, then I am still on the fence on that one myself.  But those are two totally different things.

Mark Bullock ‏@MarkBullockNFL  2m

For all those saying "Cousins got lucky on the TD", perhaps he did, but it was a perfect throw that Roberts dropped.

I'm going to get picky on that throw. It was far from perfect - it was high. You don't want to throw the ball high down the middle ever but especially not around the goalline. At best you will get your receiver hurt at worst you get tipped balls that can as easily end up in a DBs hands going the other way as into a receivers. Six inches under the chin in where you want it. It's throws like that which lead to turnovers.

I will say though that I was encouraged by Cousins. Firstly he started badly but bounced back and played better rather than going into a funk and digging a deeper hole. Secondly he was very good on 3rd and passing downs which is a concern of mine. More to like than not and he did enough for me to get the start against Miami even though Colt was impressive with the 2nd and 3rd string.

He needs to get rid of the bone headed throws through. Suggs is 6 foot 3 and about 270. How you don't see him stood right in front of your receiver on that bubble screen I don't know.

I was very happy with Kirks performance last night.  Yes he had a terrible INT once again, but Suggs man, they guy is one of the best at reading a play and he read that play perfectly.  As the game slows down a little more for Cousins he will pull that ball down next time.  But did you guys see how he moved the ball?  Did you see some of the throws he completed on long 3rds?  That was a top 5 defensive unit he was doing it to and after that shaky start man did he and the team settle down.  He just give you confidence that if things click he will move the ball for you.  In this offense, especially if we can run the ball (and last night lets face it we couldn't the first two series) you can just sense the play action pass will work so well for example.  And guys our number one receiver DJ is not playing, again you don't think teams will pull back their FS to cover him in most passing situations?  With Robert teams simply don't fear the deep ball anymore, they just bring the house and tell him beat us if you can.  Tell you that two minute drill in the end of last nights first half was a thing of beauty also.  Role with Cousins, we have seen enough of the RGIII show. 

i really liked that outing by cousins. he picked apart the defense. made the necessary plays to put the team in the position to win the half. pretty accurate overall and converted many tough first downs. smart enough to throw the ball away. did a great job of avoiding sacks and delivering the ball when pressure was there. looked to be calling out assignments and/or audibles. best 2 minute drive ive seen in a while.

the fumbled snap was annoying but really the only complaint i have was the interception. i feel like cousins knew the guy was right in the way and decided to throw it anyways. the right tackle did a poor job, and suggs made a great play. id like to hear what gruden has to say about the play.

has cousins improved his ability to prevent picks and meltdown? im not sure, it's tough to tell in preseason. i did think that cousins was staring down receivers at times and i think that will keep on leading to interceptions. also, the playcalling was a bit predictable and it did seem obvious that we were targeting both ryan grant and crowder at times.

has cousins improved his ability to prevent picks and meltdown? im not sure, it's tough to tell in preseason. bottom line though, if we can keep the ball moving under cousins, we'll have a shot in every game, which is more than what we've been able to say in the past.

I'm going to get picky on that throw. It was far from perfect - it was high. You don't want to throw the ball high down the middle ever but especially not around the goalline. At best you will get your receiver hurt at worst you get tipped balls that can as easily end up in a DBs hands going the other way as into a receivers. Six inches under the chin in where you want it. It's throws like that which lead to turnovers.

at best the receiver catches the ball like he is supposed to, but roberts sucks. receivers are not all fragile little girls and the rules now protect them from undefended hits. if you cant go over the middle and make that catch, you dont belong in the NFL.

was it a perfect throw, no, but it was very catchable, in stride, and cousins stepped up in the pocket and took a shot to get it there. not many qbs in the nfl can make that throw better than that.

If this organization was smart and really wanted to compete this year they will start Cousins. My point is this. Theres no way RG3 will be a Redskin next year. Its already done. Why are you wasting your time starting him when hes not even gonna be here next year. Just take the loss and move on. Point 2.... Kirk Cousins is a far better QB in a pro style offense then Rg3. Point 3... Our defense isnt looking that impressive. They still struggle with tackling which I just cant understand and the Special teams still sucks! Them two factors alone is gonna cost us to have to put alot of points on the board and move the chains. The offense moves better with Kirk point blank. 

Archived