Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Yes, people need to have patience with Cousins. Despite what's being said by some here, most people ARE giving him due amount of patience. The suggestion that he should be benched right now, or even if he has one more bad game, is coming from an extremely small minority that is being treated as if it's "everyone" saying it. Most people are advocating for patience.

The issue is, the type of patience that Shanahan seems to be stressing is the kind of patience given to first round draft picks in their first or second year. That's unrealistic to expect or demand people to have with Kirk Cousins, and it goes against the reality of how things have generally worked this at least sine the new millennium within the NFL.

I am not saying Shanny's take is right.  You got me one way or another.   However, I really doubt Shanny or for that matter Jay cares about where Kirk was drafted as to moving forward.  At least I don't think they should.   Both coaches have had them on their roster, they know his ability, make up, etc.     

Now both Shanny and or Jay could be dead wrong about Kirk but they are clearly going with tomes and tomes of information about Kirk for better or worse that goes way beyond at this point what the scouts saw from Kirk at the combine and his college tape. 

I think people on this thread are going to drive themselves crazy if they live and die with each Kirk start.   I didn't think that was the right way to judge RG3 and the same principle applies here IMO to Kirk.   I'd give him a shot to bounce back against Philly.  

IMO, he hasn't sucked. He's had a decent game, a good game, and a bad game.

Which pretty much describes 50 percent of the current NFL starters this year.

At least.

But some folks only watch highlights.

2 picks, 195 yards and 10 points is not "decent" by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not buying into Shanahan. He wants to preach patience? Didn't he give up on Beck after like 5 starts after he and his son were raving about him? I think Kyle Shanahan even said he would've drafted him in the top 10. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/kyle-shanahan-says-he-wanted-texans-to-take-john-beck-with-10th-pick-in-2007-draft/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/29/redskins-shanahan-john-beck-rex-grossman-qb-plan/?page=all

“I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’m putting my reputation on these guys that they can play.” - Mike Shanahan on Beck and Grossman. 

I don't believe a word Shanahan is saying about Cousins. He has his own agenda. 

IMO, he hasn't sucked. He's had a decent game, a good game, and a bad game.

Which pretty much describes 50 percent of the current NFL starters this year.

At least.

But some folks only watch highlights.

I don't know if "sucked" is the right word (though it is pretty apt for the Giants game). The word I would use is "unchanged". He has looked, to me, exactly like the same guy we've seen before. He'll make a great play, then a bunch of boneheaded ones. He is inconsistent and turns the ball over too often. He also doesn't seem to have the confidence or ability to turn the ball over and then put the team on his back and bring them back to a win despite messing up. He can do well when the run game is clicking and the defense plays well. He is essentially a game manager who also turns the ball over a lot.

So not "sucks" necessarily, just "unchanged".

Timmy Smith got a week off (not by me) for ignoring sub's directive.

I wasn't going to be the one to close this thread though we knew it would be shaky at the outset, but so it goes, and the following comes not exclusively, but most definitely, from TK, zoony, TSO, Martin, and myself:

Due in part to some of the same folk who lived in the rg3ocd thread, this thread, despite some good efforts and good posts, has become too much same old infinity-repeat rehash to just watch fester week after week (win or lose), though we know at least a few folks would be just fine with it. 

Every week we will have a new game and new material upon which to make posts regarding the qb(s) etc., and some of you wanted to avoid long ongoing "megathreads", so rejoice!

Yah, interesting to see the posts counts from certain posters ebb and flow based on if the Team won.

Beat the Rams, certain posters drinking STFU.  Lose to the Giants, certain posters have 100 posts in 48 hours.  There's no agenda here.

You know who you are :).  I have a friend on the mod squad that did the analysis on this one.  It was enlightening :)

Archived