Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Quick opinion on the Giants game, I agree with Chris Russell.  There is no spinning that performance, Cousins just looked awful the entire game.

Really, I've not seen his accuracy look that bad in a long time.  Cousins has been known for poor decision making, but by and large he throws a pretty good football.  That Giants game he just looked bad.  I guess anyone can have a bad game... I've sat through dozens of bad QB games with this team, what's one more.

At this point give Cousins the entire season.  If he sucks, fine.  We get a high pick.  If he improves, well, that's good.

This would be beyond dangerous if it were allowed to happen.  If his play and turnover rate were to continue things could actually get much uglier in a hurry.  You owe it to your team, players, and fans to attempt to win every game especially when you're just 3 to 6 games into a season.......where you might faced with the decision of having to bench him for the good of the team both short term and long term. This is even more true after last years circus act that occurred last year.

One thing that we saw last year is when it started to go really down hill for Cousins the decision making, interceptions, and even the ability to run the offense got worse to the point where half the stadium might have walked out of the Titans game if Cousins wasn't pulled.......amazingly he was pulled for very much the prototypical backup QB in McCoy only to win the game and another against Dallas. 

Now its rather easy to say well we'll get a high draft pick, but what do you say to all your vets that basically lost a year of their careers or rookies that you pushed hard and preached good to great play gets you playing time, poor to terrible play shows you the bench or possibly the door.......especially for someone if you get to that point has shown for back to back years is just that kind of guy unfortunately in a system that is really ideal for him.  It sucks and hurts and would be unfortunate but if that's who he is everyone needs to move from denial to acceptance and move on.  

Added to that its a very real possibility that we could stay in the division race late into the year with even very average QB play and a lower turnover rate..........a lot of that has to do with a much improved defense, and the misfortunes to lunacy of others in our division.  This a Defense that appears to have come as close to a 180 in a year as possible, led by a DC that by far was the most questionable new hire of the entire coaching staff (even the 2 TD's given up by Breeland were both contested its just how it is sometimes).

I know some might think we need great QB play to win, however that's just not the case any longer. 

I definitely agree.  I should qualify my post further.

By win now I didn't mean literally WIN NOW, like win the division and make the playoffs.  I mean win more than we did last year, show steady improvement, play hard, stop making bone headed (typical Redskins football over the past two decades) mistakes, and play to win.  I certainly don't expect this team to contend this year, and I dont think any rational fan does either.  I dont recall my exact prediction before the season started but I think I voted for 6-8 wins, which would assume a small but noticeable improvement over last year.

Oh. Then I'm definitely in the win NOW camp lol :lol: ...

Honest question:  Does the current events within our division change anything?  Do you think the coaches/GM look at Dallas being injury-ravaged, Philly stinking it up, etc etc etc....and think "Well hey, maybe 9-7 wins the NFC East this year, every team is in it, we should do everything we can to try and compete in a bad division" or do you think the big picture is always the #1 priority?

Does this change how big of a leash you give the starting QB if you feel his play is holding the team back?

Obviously this team was not built to compete this year, or at least no one thought so before the first snap of Week 1, but things happen, doors open, opportunities present themselves.

It has to especially if a guy is already close enough from being pulled anyway.  A Division win is a division win period. Even finishing 2nd in the division at say 7 and 9 would be a good accomplishment to hang our hat on for next year.   I'm always leary of carrying wins over to the next year, but it would show the improvement is taking hold and are on the upswing.

I guess the only end of a winning argument for Cousins is TD passes and TD/INT % over the past 300 throws. 

Griffin does have 2012, my goodness yes, he has 2012.

Taking Griffin out of the equation, Cousins' TD passes and TD/INT % over the past 300 attempts most definitely does NOT have him "winning" any argument for him being a starter.

His TD % is below average--he ranks either #25 or #26 among QBs who have thrown at least 300 pass attempts since last year (all attempts since last year - 311). His TD/INT ratio (which I assume you meant here) is well below average as well. Geno Smith, Hoyer, McKown, Bortles and Cousins are the only QBs from that same list who do not have more TDs than INTs since last year.

Honest question:  Does the current events within our division change anything?  Do you think the coaches/GM look at Dallas being injury-ravaged, Philly stinking it up, etc etc etc....and think "Well hey, maybe 9-7 wins the NFC East this year, every team is in it, we should do everything we can to try and compete in a bad division" or do you think the big picture is always the #1 priority?

Does this change how big of a leash you give the starting QB if you feel his play is holding the team back?

Obviously this team was not built to compete this year, or at least no one thought so before the first snap of Week 1, but things happen, doors open, opportunities present themselves.

I would want the current events to play a role, yes.

I would want it to also play in the mind of Cousins himself...that not only is he being given the chance to become fulltime starter from here on out, but he's being given the chance to guide the team to a division title. I don't want anyone with the team to have the mentality that we're punting away the season anyway, so who cares. I guarantee you the players will see it as their opportunity dwindling away if they feel the QB production is holding the team back.

But if Cousins is improving but we're still not winning, stay the course. For example, if he was to throw 3 TDs and 0 INTs over the next 3 weeks, we might lose every game but you gotta stay with him. That would be improvement in my eyes. If he threw 10 TDs and 6 INTs over the next 3 games and we lost all three, you stay with him. But if it's 3 TDs, 6 INTs and 3 losses, you gotta consider making a change at some point regardless of whether or not you still have a shot at the division (which, at 1-5, would hardly be a consideration lol)...

I think what we as a fanbase should figure out is if we'd rather be a team that can eventually win with a QB like Cousins, wait for another five seasons or so for the GM to hopefully build us into another Seattle/San Francisco proto-type, where the QB merely has to "exist on the team" or would we rather make finding a franchise QB a priority so that every other aspect of the team doesn't have to be damn near perfect week in and week out in order to come away with wins.

We've been waiting for this franchise QB to come and give us an offense that can actually score points for 15 years now. 

In the Dan Snyder era we've never had a good offense. Ever. Not top 10 in yards or points even in our playoff years; save of course the 2012 season. 

Don't think its going to happen that way my friend. :)  We're going to have to do it the other way.  

Yah, a losing season would really rip this franchise apart at this point.  

Losing in the manner we did last year would.  Pinning our hopes by going  with 1 QB for the rest of the year just for the hell of it basically as you seem to be suggesting is a clear mistake.  We can differ on opinions about this but I can guarantee SM is not going to have that happen.  I'm sorry, pissing away our improvement on defense because  "If he sucks, fine.  We get a high pick.  If he improves, well, that's good." is not a sensible plan.

Losing in the manner we did last year would.  Pinning our hopes by going  with 1 QB for the rest of the year just for the hell of it basically as you seem to be suggesting is a clear mistake.  We can differ on opinions about this but I can guarantee SM is not going to have that happen.  I'm sorry, pissing away our improvement on defense because  "If he sucks, fine.  We get a high pick.  If he improves, well, that's good." is not a sensible plan.

There is no serious alternative on the team right now.

5-11 is 5-11 man. Cousins improves or we're starting over. Colt is pointless. Nothing to gain.

You honestly think the team would be willing to wave the white flag and tank the season by Week 6 if Cousins keeps looking awful? 

Nah, not likely. Best case scenario is Cousins actually looks like a decent QB in the next 2 or 3 weeks so that all of this chatter can go away.

The more realistic scenario is to see Colt or Bob under center by the bye week. By then, Kirk may well have ruined this season already, same as he did in the 2014 season.

Quick opinion on the Giants game, I agree with Chris Russell.  There is no spinning that performance, Cousins just looked awful the entire game.

Really, I've not seen his accuracy look that bad in a long time.  Cousins has been known for poor decision making, but by and large he throws a pretty good football.  That Giants game he just looked bad.  I guess anyone can have a bad game... I've sat through dozens of bad QB games with this team, what's one more.

At this point give Cousins the entire season.  If he sucks, fine.  We get a high pick.  If he improves, well, that's good.

That's fair...I would alter it just a little. 

In the rare case that he continues to suck yet we win games (defense, running game, whatever) and the rest of the division cooperates, you may have to put in Colt to try to make a run. I realize that's a pretty unlikely set of circumstances. However I also believe that Colt gives the team a slightly better shot to win immediately, despite his lower ceiling. So let's say the team is 5-5 in November but Cousins hasn't progressed...I'd be fine with a change at QB assuming Jay and Scot have seen enough to know they don't want Cousins after this year. 

Lastly, the interceptions bother me less than the fact that Cousins hasn't really made big plays. Before this year, he countered the picks with big plays in the passing game. I would like to see those return. In addition, he has to eventually do something in a big spot. Doing it in a division game would be nice, but also arbitrary. I just can't remember a time he's had the ball, a small deficit, and a chance to go tie or win the game and come through. To believe that he'll develop into something, I'll probably need to see that sooner than later. 

You honestly think the team would be willing to wave the white flag and tank the season by Week 6 if Cousins keeps looking awful? 

Nah, not likely. Best case scenario is Cousins actually looks like a decent QB in the next 2 or 3 weeks so that all of this chatter can go away.

The more realistic scenario is to see Colt or Bob under center by the bye week. By then, Kirk may well have ruined this season already, same as he did in the 2014 season.

Then we will have abandoned potential development (which admittedly may not happen) for two guys that are not better than who is currently playing. Nothing to gain. No improvement will happen. Any extra, freak win, meaningless. We watched it last year. There is no serious alternative on the team. Please don't mistake that as a glorious endorsement of Cousins. He is the best we have, and not near as bad as some make him out to be. He is the only one still with potential to turn the corner.

Taking Griffin out of the equation, Cousins' TD passes and TD/INT % over the past 300 attempts most definitely does NOT have him "winning" any argument for him being a starter.

His TD % is below average--he ranks either #25 or #26 among QBs who have thrown at least 300 pass attempts since last year (all attempts since last year - 311). His TD/INT ratio (which I assume you meant here) is well below average as well. Geno Smith, Hoyer, McKown, Bortles and Cousins are the only QBs from that same list who do not have more TDs than INTs since last year.

It's quite convenient to ignore fumbles that occur as the result of being sacked 4X more than the other QBs, to ignore a non-existent TD% and ignore a TD/INT % that is similar to Cousins over a similar time period, when "arguing" who should be starting.  Most definitely.

There is no serious alternative on the team right now.

I think a lot of people fail to realize this.  It's not I'm a believer that Cousins will become Brady.  It's just he is the best we have at this time.  Unless a miracle occurs we will be searching for a new starting QB next season. 

It's quite convenient to ignore fumbles that occur as the result of being sacked 4X more than the other QBs, to ignore a non-existent TD% and ignore a TD/INT % that is similar to Cousins over a similar time period, when "arguing" who should be starting.  Most definitely.

Uh, did you not see the part where I said "Taking Griffin out of the equation"? lol...

Cousins making a case to be starter (or not making one, either/or) should be made on HIS performance and production, not someone else's.

I think a lot of people fail to realize this.  It's not I'm a believer that Cousins will become Brady.  It's just he is the best we have at this time.  Unless a miracle occurs we will be searching for a new starting QB next season. 

I've yet to see evidence that he's the best option. If anything, Colt McCoy has shown to be the best option right now...but this season always seemed to be about evaluating who could be a long-term solution, Cousins or Griffin...and whether we should look elsewhere next season.

If neither is the answer I'd rather start McCoy.

Then we will have abandoned potential development (which admittedly may not happen) for two guys that are not better than who is currently playing. Nothing to gain. No improvement will happen. Any extra, freak win, meaningless. We watched it last year. There is no serious alternative on the team. Please don't mistake that as a glorious endorsement of Cousins. He is the best we have, and not near as bad as some make him out to be. He is the only one still with potential to turn the corner.

Im not sure what you've seen out of Cousins throughout his career that makes you think this. He's 27 years old and been in the NFL for 4 years. He has probably the worst potential of any QB on our roster. He is athletically inferior to the other two, he does not have the strongest arm or the best accuracy. 

He excels at unloading the ball quick so he wont get hit in the pocket... and we see that essentially equates to interceptions. Kirk reads the defense pre-snap but makes no adjustment after the ball has been snapped. This leads to defenses routinely baiting him because Kirk is blindly throwing the ball where it is supposed to go based on his pre-snap reads. Bottom line, this offense is almost custom tailored to fit Kirk's strengths and he has had the least success in it

Again, as a Redskins fan the best case is that Kirk snaps out of it and becomes a serviceable QB. If he could play like a Derek Carr or another QB that is showing clear signs of growth and progress, then I think everyone in this thread is thrilled because that means we'd most likely be a decent football team. We would easily be 3-0 right now with decent play at the QB position.

If this goes on into week 6 or 7 and we are still seeing the same "scared" QB play out of Kirk, teams are still stacking 8 in the box when we go three wide, and he's still averaging 2+ turnovers a game... then a change has to be made. If Gruden refuses, then I think the front office will step in and let Gruden know that his services are no longer needed by the Washington Redskins.

So again, if you think that a 27 year old QB, one who has been stated as fully understanding the mechanics and mental necessities of this offense, is still developing.. then I'd question you how? How can Kirk develop any further? Sounds like he's fully developed and just not getting the job done. He is not learning anything new week in and week out.

Here's a question, just for ****s and giggles lol...

Right now--this very minute--you HAVE to keep one person and immediately cut ties with the other two:

- Griffin

- Cousins

- Gruden

Which one do you pick?

EDIT: assume the season is over--3 game season, folks lol...and that Griffin will NOT get $16 million next year. Cousins and Griffin will both get whatever amount you feel is acceptable.

I've yet to see evidence that he's the best option. If anything, Colt McCoy has shown to be the best option right now...but this season always seemed to be about evaluating who could be a long-term solution, Cousins or Griffin...and whether we should look elsewhere next season.

If neither is the answer I'd rather start McCoy.

Why? So we could maybe win a couple more games? I'd rather be 3-13 than 6-10. I agree with you about evaluating who could be the long term solution. That's the point of riding Kirk.

Why? So we could maybe win a couple more games? I'd rather be 3-13 than 6-10. I agree with you about evaluating who could be the long term solution. That's the point of riding Kirk.

If you're saying that Cousins is the best option on the team because he'll guarantee the Skins a higher draft pick next year, that's a different story lol...

Im not sure what you've seen out of Cousins throughout his career that makes you think this. He's 27 years old and been in the NFL for 4 years. He has probably the worst potential of any QB on our roster. He is athletically inferior to the other two, he does not have the strongest arm or the best accuracy. 

He excels at unloading the ball quick so he wont get hit in the pocket... and we see that essentially equates to interceptions. Kirk reads the defense pre-snap but makes no adjustment after the ball has been snapped. This leads to defenses routinely baiting him because Kirk is blindly throwing the ball where it is supposed to go based on his pre-snap reads. Bottom line, this offense is almost custom tailored to fit Kirk's strengths and he has had the least success in it

So again, if you think that a 27 year old QB, one who has been stated as fully understanding the mechanics and mental necessities of this offense, is still developing.. then I'd question you how? How can Kirk develop any further? Sounds like he's fully developed and just not getting the job done. He is not learning anything new week in and week out.

I guess my response is that two professional coaching staffs seem to see things differently than you. I see the offense much more proficient with Cousins playing.  He is the best we have. Let him develop or show that he won't. That will take more than 3 more games. I would argue its not leaving Cousins in that gives the season up, its putting in one of the other guys that admits the season is over.

If you're saying that Cousins is the best option on the team because he'll guarantee the Skins a higher draft pick next year, that's a different story lol...

Well, I'm saying for a 2 win difference I'd ride Kirk to give the maximum chance of turning the corner. Putting in an equal or worse guy in the hopes of sparking an extra meaningless win does nothing. That's all.

Archived