Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

However to the teams credit they won the last 7 games. Which is my point, Cousins is having a similar start. If we are judging the same then the team should have pulled RG3 that year at some point. but.....it was announced it was RG3's team for 2012.

Skins had 99 points through 3 games in 2012.  It largely was not the offense's fault we were losing games early that season.

Skins had 99 points through 3 games in 2012.  It largely was not the offense's fault we were losing games early that season.

I'll admit the team is not putting the points on the board. and yes I avoided that fact cause I knew someone would throw that up in the air to see where it stuck. But.... the team in 2012 had 4 games where they scored less then 20 points. This year they have only had 1 game so far with the score less then 20. 1 out of the 3 games with less then 20 points. 

Folks this team does not have to put up 50 points a game. All they have to do is keep the other team from scoring more points then we do. Thats all. I'll take a 17 to 14 game as long as the Skins win. 

RG3 has not thrown up all over himself during a game.

Um... yes he did against Tampa. 

I'm personally of the mind set let Cousins play all 16 games. Lets see what he can do, what he can develope into. Since I don't think Gruden is going anywhere due to his contract cost lets build up this team and get quality players. Draft another QB and play the best one. But for a change....keep the coaching staff, try to keep the QB (Cousins), and bring in quality players around him to see if this team can get better. 

Logic doesn't go over well around here.  RG3 put up so many points against New Orleans that it masked our awful defense.  That set the stage in game 1 of 2012 for excitement.  People forget we weren't a very good football team in 2012 until that 7 game win streak.

See it does not matter if it's an INT or a fumble. a turn over is a turn over. RG3 turns over just as much if you counted not only his INT's but his fumbles. 

If you're talking now, sure.  BUt when he ran the read option he had some fumbles that weren't of the sort of "I'm an idiot who turns the ball over" but were the result of runs, not giving it up in the pocket.  So, not all fumbles are created equal.  I remember those games and RG3 was not the one who caused us to lose (minus maybe the Carolina game.)

Logic doesn't go over well around here.  RG3 put up so many points against New Orleans that it masked our awful defense.  That set the stage in game 1 of 2012 for excitement.  People forget we weren't a very good football team in 2012 until that 7 game win streak.

You watched those games right?  The problem was the defense, that's true.  Griffin played well in all but a couple of those games or turned it up later in the game like vs. STL and CIncy.  I've posted before about each game during that first half of the season and except the Carolina game, I would count his games as at least solid to excellent during that time.   I'm not sure where to count the Pittsburgh game since his receivers dropped like 8-10 of his passes in the cold rain. 

If your point is that we aren't a good football team now and COusins needs time to grow with a team finding itself, I can buy that.  But he can't do it at a 1:2 TD/INT ratio.

I'll admit the team is not putting the points on the board. and yes I avoided that fact cause I knew someone would throw that up in the air to see where it stuck. But.... the team in 2012 had 4 games where they scored less then 20 points. This year they have only had 1 game so far with the score less then 20. 1 out of the 3 games with less then 20 points. 

Folks this team does not have to put up 50 points a game. All they have to do is keep the other team from scoring more points then we do. Thats all. I'll take a 17 to 14 game as long as the Skins win. 

The offense was responsible for 14 of the 21 points last week.

And I agree that its nice to harbor memories of defense winning championships like the 2000 Ravens, but this is an offense-driven league. Even the Seahawks during their recent three year run, aside from having the #1 fewest points allowed defense, have put up close to or more than 400 points per year from 2012-14.

If your point is that we aren't a good football team now and COusins needs time to grow with a team finding itself, I can buy that.  But he can't do it at a 1:2 TD/INT ratio.

Thats kinda my point. but my point is RG3 didn't fair much better. Yes he was putting up points but they were quick scores and the defense didn't get time to rest. Also RG3's INT's and Fumbles combined were similar to Cousins INT ratio per game. 

You watched those games right?  The problem was the defense, that's true.  Griffin played well in all but a couple of those games or turned it up later in the game like vs. STL and CIncy.  I've posted before about each game during that first half of the season and except the Carolina game, I would count his games as at least solid to excellent during that time.   I'm not sure where to count the Pittsburgh game since his receivers dropped like 8-10 of his passes in the cold rain. 

Griffin was a better QB than Cousins, don't get me wrong.  But he was running the gimmick offense which he later bailed on.  But I *think* we are a better football team than Griffin led in 2012.

The offense was responsible for 14 of the 21 points last week.

And I agree that its nice to harbor memories of defense winning championships like the 2000 Ravens, but this is an offense-driven league. Even the Seahawks during their recent three year run, aside from having the #1 fewest points allowed defense, have put up close to or more than 400 points per year from 2012-14.

The team in the last two games put up over 20 points. Garbage points or not IDK but the team scored over 20 points. Only the first game against Miami did they score under 20 points. 

So I decided to go and look at 2012 and compare to this year some things. 

It's tough to compare 2012 to this situation.  Sure Rg3 had some stinker games early, but he had such a dynamic showing against the Saints in game 1 I think the entire fan base just assumed and was excited that we finally had "our guy" under center.  A true franchise QB that we could build around for a decade.  Plus, even in those games that he had fumbles and turnover, he made huge plays with his arm and legs.  Rg3 was under contract for the foreseeable future as well, whereas right now Kirk is in a contract year and the team can move on from him quickly in the off-season.  This is a put up or shut up year for him (and Gruden, too).

Griffin was a better QB than Cousins, don't get me wrong.  But he was running the gimmick offense which he later bailed on.  But I *think* we are a better football team than Griffin led in 2012.

I somewhat agree..... how much of that was the NFL was not prepared in how to defend it? after 3 years we see NFL teams better prepared to defend the gimmicky offense. I don't know we would have much success with it even if the team decided to go back to it. Even the Eagles are starting to have trouble making it work this year. 

I somewhat agree..... how much of that was the NFL was not prepared in how to defend it? after 3 years we see NFL teams better prepared to defend the gimmicky offense. I don't know we would have much success with it even if the team decided to go back to it. Even the Eagles are starting to have trouble making it work this year. 

Russell Wilson and Kaepernick are struggling as well.

It's tough to compare 2012 to this situation.  Sure Rg3 had some stinker games early, but he had such a dynamic showing against the Saints in game 1 I think the entire fan base just assumed and was excited that we finally had "our guy" under center.  A true franchise QB that we could build around for a decade.  Plus, even in those games that he had fumbles and turnover, he made huge plays with his arm and legs.  Rg3 was under contract for the foreseeable future as well, whereas right now Kirk is in a contract year and the team can move on from him quickly in the off-season.  This is a put up or shut up year for him (and Gruden, too).

I totally agree. I'm just saying I also think consistacy is the key. I'm don't agree so much about Gruden though. Snyder dumping Gruden would be dumping $15 mill down the drain plus paying another HC similar money more then likely paying out $20+ mill for the HCing position alone. I don't see that happening. All the QB's might be gone but what?....bring in 3 new QB's and start over? I'd get rid of RG3 and the controversy. Keep Cousins. Get rid of McCoy (injury prone). and either find another vet or draft 1 QB and pick up an undrafted QB for the Practice Squad. 

I totally agree. I'm just saying I also think consistacy is the key. I'm don't agree so much about Gruden though. Snyder dumping Gruden would be dumping $15 mill down the drain plus paying another HC similar money more then likely paying out $20+ mill for the HCing position alone. I don't see that happening. All the QB's might be gone but what?....bring in 3 new QB's and start over? I'd get rid of RG3 and the controversy. Keep Cousins. Get rid of McCoy (injury prone). and either find another vet or draft 1 QB and pick up an undrafted QB for the Practice Squad. 

Agree.  You get out of the win now thing that fans can't get over.  Keep Cousins.  Draft again next year, then reevaluate.  You can't take one of the bottom 4 franchises in the NFL for the better part of 20 years and become a playoff contender with coaches wanting to come here overnight.  Coaches have been turning us down.  This isn't a highly desired job by highly desired coaches.

Attempting to treat a fumble recovered by the offense as a turnover because it COULD have been recovered is a bit like trying to count a ball that hits a defensive players hands/body as a turnover because it COULD have been caught. Both are disingenuous and lazy acts by those beholden to pushing their agenda above all else. While both actions are worthy of critique, the reality is neither should be viewed/counted as if it's a turnover, and most definitely only one side of that equation shouldn't be counted if one is going to do it.

Also, can we please stop attempting to act like it makes any kind of logic within the confines of the norms of the NFL that a staff, team, or fan base should in any way treat the first four games of the rookie year of the number two pick in the draft with the same level of patience, lienency, and critique as they would the first four games of the fourth year of a fourth round draft pick who's played in more than 10 NFL games. That comparison is beyond ridiculous for the premise it's attempting to suggest.

Thats kinda my point. but my point is RG3 didn't fair much better. Yes he was putting up points but they were quick scores and the defense didn't get time to rest. Also RG3's INT's and Fumbles combined were similar to Cousins INT ratio per game.

You're kidding right?

If you're going to out qualifies to point scored, then at least show yourself to be mildly fair or consistent. How in the world you are essentially discrediting Griffin because the offense scored too fast, while hand waving off that some of the points scored last week to out it over 20 has nothing to do with the offense (punt return) or that much of the scoring came after we were multiple scores down in the 4th with the game largely out of hand?

Again, please tell me you're not someone who was routinely critical of anyone posting stats about Griffin back in 2013 due to claims of "Garbage Time", the type of which was often far less accurate than it would be when looking at Thursday.

Again, there's nothing in these first three games to suggest we should move on from Cousins. But that can be argued without this type of absolutely ridiculous assertions. Even beyond the issues with your comparison I already noted, Cousins this year hasn't had a game as good as the New Orelans game, and the offense through the first four of 2012 put up over 20 points in each contest.

Cousins should be shown patience because the team benefits in no way with a chaotic QB carousel that changes every few weeks. He should be shown patience as the guy the staff see,s to view as the most likely have a shot to help this team in the future. But he should not be shown patience because patience was shown in the rookie season of a #2 pick who's first game was better than anything we've had this year; that is not a reasonable arguments for why patience should be had.

"They fought their guts out" (after every loss), "He's super smart" (usually in defense of an awful performance by Brunell), "He moved the ball well against their prevent D at the end there" (I think that one came after a blowout regarding Brunell, lol)

- Joe Gibbs

Sorry, Kokomike, that's utterly ridiculous to criticize him for, especially considering how much he qualified those type of statements with saying things about how Kirk has to improve. You're grasping here, brother.

"Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners." Joe Gibbs

"The future is now." George Allen

"Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing." Vince Lombardi

"We have to have patience." Jay Gruden and Extremeskins

Because obvious, Gibbs was never prone to any platitudes and empty coach speak to cover for a bad team...

...also obvious, you never watched any Gibbs 2 press conferences ;)

Fought their guts out comes to mind

Also of note......

In RG3's first game he had 1 fumble that was recovered. The second game he had 1 INT. The third game he had 3 fumbles with 1 lost. Technically he could have potentially have had 5 turn overs by this point. Cousins has 4. No better no worse. 

Are you also going to compare INTs dropped by the other teams' D? I understand what you're getting at, but if fumbles were treated like INTs (only count when it's truly a TO), then it's a more straight-up comparison. Either one is a QB giving the other team a shot at the ball, but only 1 gets officially counted. And a fumble we might have lost in a pile wouldn't be as devastating as a pick-6 that the other guy didn't drop on the turf.

I mean, Brady's a super-elite QB, but his TD:INT ratio wouldn't look as shiny if somebody kept track of how many dropped INTs other teams had and included that in some kind of "potential INT" column.

You're kidding right?

If you're going to out qualifies to point scored, then at least show yourself to be mildly fair or consistent. How in the world you are essentially discrediting Griffin because the offense scored too fast, while hand waving off that some of the points scored last week to out it over 20 has nothing to do with the offense (punt return) or that much of the scoring came after we were multiple scores down in the 4th with the game largely out of hand?

Again, please tell me you're not someone who was routinely critical of anyone posting stats about Griffin back in 2013 due to claims of "Garbage Time", the type of which was often far less accurate than it would be when looking at Thursday.

Again, there's nothing in these first three games to suggest we should move on from Cousins. But that can be argued without this type of absolutely ridiculous assertions. Even beyond the issues with your comparison I already noted, Cousins this year hasn't had a game as good as the New Orelans game, and the offense through the first four of 2012 put up over 20 points in each contest.

Cousins should be shown patience because the team benefits in no way with a chaotic QB carousel that changes every few weeks. He should be shown patience as the guy the staff see,s to view as the most likely have a shot to help this team in the future. But he should not be shown patience because patience was shown in the rookie season of a #2 pick who's first game was better than anything we've had this year; that is not a reasonable arguments for why patience should be had.

A win is a win, a loss is a loss, turn overs are turn overs. It does not matter if they put up 600 yrds and lose, or if they put up 60 points and lose. I agree with the fact the team put up over 20 points in 12 of their 16 games. But no one wants to give Cousins that opportunity. Some people here want Cousins gone now. All I'm saying is be fair and let him play. We are in week 3 of a 16 week season. He's put up over 20 points in two games. I honeslty don't care how they got over 20, they got over 20. Now the team needs to figure out how to eliminate the mistakes, stop the penalties, and catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Doing these things might give them a better chance even with Cousins INT's. 

The blocked punt for a Safety was not Cousins fault. The fumble at the 1 yard line into the endzone for a touchback was not Cousins fault. Did Cousins make mistakes? Yes, but so did quite a few other players on the team. Across the board the team crapped the bed. To include Cousins. I doubt though Cousins would have been able to do anything even if he was playing lights out. Hardly anyone else was doing their job. 

I yearn for the day when we are talking about how many game winning drives, how many comebacks to win in the last two minutes, how many wins the QB, whoever that is, has led the team to. Alas, we are encouraged to be patient, while we endure comparisons with poor times of other QBs. 13 more games of this? I hope not. I hope Cousins gets his act together soon.

Archived