Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Kirk's game immediately following the Giants debacle looked like this (vs. Seattle on MNF): 

21/36 for 283 yards and 2 TDs (0 INTs)

Seems pretty comparable to a 250 yard/3TD game vs. Atlanta

QB rating vs Seattle's D last year.

1. Austin Davis 132.3

2. P. Rivers: 124.2

3. Tony romoSUCKS 110.2

4. Kirk Cousins 102.0

5. Alex Smith 87.5

6. Peyton. Manning 85.7

7. Eli Manning 81.9

8. Aaron Rodgers 81.5

9. Colin Kaerpernick 81.2

10. Mark Sanchez 76.3

11.  David Carr 66.5

12. Shaun Hill 65.5

13.Cam Newton 61.0

14. Drew Stanton 54.8

15. Ryan Lindley 47.2

16.Colin Kaerpernick 36.7

Cousins topped out at #4 for the best QB rating against Seattle last year. Please someone tell me that if Robert played that game that he wouldn't be in 12-16 slot of this list.

Same excuses? No.

Griffin has had 38ish starts in this league and looks lost in the pocket. He doesn't sense pressure and doesn't seem to find the right guy to throw to.

Cousins has had 10ish starts in the league and looks pretty good in the pocket, moves the chains, and puts up points. In a few of those starts, he's let turnovers snowball. That weakness is also something that has plagued even some of the all-time greats in their first 16 starts in the league (Manning, Elway, Aikman, Young, etc.). ***

**** I am in no way comparing Cousins to one of those guys, simply stating that struggling with turnovers early in your career doesn't mean your ceiling is Rex Grossman.

I hear Manning referenced a lot for throwing INTs as a rookie, but I never thought that was a good example. It's always left out that he threw 26 TDs as well, which was 5th on the league. And all while leading the league in attempts as a rookie, which is insane when you think about it. Talk about having to carry a team on your shoulders. So throwing 28 picks in context doesn't seem that bad.

I know that really wasn't your point, but his INTs as a rookie comes up so much, it drives me crazy. Lol.

But more to your point, if Cousins could just get a sustained opportunity to play and develop, he would probably would do something similar, meaning throw a lot of picks early, while also being prolific in other more positive aspects. Especially at the rate they had him throwing it.

I hear Manning referenced a lot for throwing INTs as a rookie, but I never thought that was a good example. It's always left out that he threw 26 TDs as well, which was 5th on the league. And all while leading the league in attempts as a rookie, which is insane when you think about it. Talk about having to carry a team on your shoulders. So throwing 28 picks in context doesn't seem that bad.

I know that really wasn't your point, but his INTs as a rookie comes up so much, it drives me crazy. Lol.

But more to your point, if Cousins could just get a sustained opportunity to play and develop, he would probably would do something similar, meaning throw a lot of picks early, while also being prolific in other more positive aspects. Especially at the rate they had him throwing it.

That's what I believe as well. 

As for your initial point, that's true that he had about a 1:1 TD:INT ratio as a rookie. But, I think it's a nice comparison* to Cousins as he throws a relatively high number of TDs too. 

* Once again, I don't mean that Cousins will ever approach Manning as a player, just that his high interception total is offset by his high TD total early in his career. 

I hear Manning referenced a lot for throwing INTs as a rookie, but I never thought that was a good example...

Just for fun...

Cousins so far: 407 attempts, 240 completions, 3,030 yards, 18 TDs, 19 INTs

Manning rookie year: 575 attempts, 326 completions, 3,739 yards,  26 TDs, 28 INTs

Cousins extrapolated: 575 attempts, 339 completions, 4281 yards, 25 TDs, 27 INTs

Just for fun...

Manning rookie year: 575 attempts, 326 completions, 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs

Cousins extrapolated: 575 attempts, 339 completions, 4281 yards, 25 TDs, 27 INTs

That's kinda crazy. Lol

Just for fun...

Manning rookie year: 575 attempts, 326 completions, 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs

Nice Stat work.I am in the camp that thinks it should have been competition all year long. There isn't a qb on this team that deserves the starting position out right. Kirk has been given some opportunity but not a complete opportunity. He hasn't started a full season yet. I have been blown away at times with his throws. After the jags and eagles games last year I thought we had found our guy. Then the bad games came. That's OK. Those were his first real opportunities. The previous opportunities the whole team was in season over mode. It's time for a bigger sample size before we make another costly mistake.

Please.......Kirk would be starting if he was worth a darn.  He's a career back-up.

Ummm. He is isn't he?

Alot harder to be a 4th round starter when your other QB teammate was traded for 3 1's and a 2 and from day one was coined as our "savior"..So I think your assessment is wrong. Just watch and see if he is worth a darn

Ummm. He is isn't he?

Alot harder to be a 4th round starter when your other QB teammate was traded for 3 1's and a 2 and from day one was coined as our "savior"..So I think your assessment is wrong. Just watch and see if he is worth a darn

Guess you haven't watched him play in all his starts the past 2 seasons.

Guess you haven't watched him play in all his starts the past 2 seasons.

Bro...such a hater.lol. Cousins is a Redskin. Don't we want him to succeed? I still have RG3SKNS as my license plates the week after he was drafted (I'm living in Cali now, so I will change the plates) I beleived in the hype, but he doesn't have the "IT" factor we thought he had...and if he did (circa 2012) it is long gone. Maybe he would succeed in a 2012 K. Shanahan offense for about 2 weeks, but it was his own recklessness that caused all his injuires and also his lack of confidence. Sorry man. RG3 just isn't the right QB for this team. And since I have only 1 team.. Let's go to the next QB

Bro...such a hater.lol. Cousins is a Redskin. Don't we want him to succeed? I still have RG3SKNS as my license plates the week after he was drafted (I'm living in Cali now, so I will change the plates) I beleived in the hype, but he doesn't have the "IT" factor we thought he had...and if he did (circa 2012) it is long gone. Maybe he would succeed in a 2012 K. Shanahan offense for about 2 weeks, but it was his own recklessness that caused all his injuires and also his lack of confidence. Sorry man. RG3 just isn't the right QB for this team. And since I have only 1 team.. Let's go to the next QB

Not a hater by any means.  Just tired of reading posts about "the Kirk era", etc.  If he was starting material, he would have already shown that in his opportunities the past two seasons.  He didn't.  

Teams would have been knocking on our door wanting to trade for him, with a decent offer....they didn't.

Point to where I said I didn't want him to succeed or would not be cheering him on every game he plays in through it's entirety.  I also never said that RGIII was the right QB for this team either :)

I'm a realist.  Reality and history lead me to believe that Cousins isn't the answer.  Same with RGIII.  

Kirk's game immediately following the Giants debacle looked like this (vs. Seattle on MNF): 

21/36 for 283 yards and 2 TDs (0 INTs)

Seems pretty comparable to a 250 yard/3TD game vs. Atlanta

Kirk plays tomorrow since RG3 is out.Lets see what he does against a tough Baltimore D

Ummm. He is isn't he?

Well we get to see tomorrow,this is the game Kirk needs to ball out so that Jay can reconsider who will be the starter.

Not a hater by any means.  Just tired of reading posts about "the Kirk era", etc.  If he was starting material, he would have already shown that in his opportunities the past two seasons.  He didn't.  

Teams would have been knocking on our door wanting to trade for him, with a decent offer....they didn't.

Point to where I said I didn't want him to succeed or would not be cheering him on every game he plays in through it's entirety.  I also never said that RGIII was the right QB for this team either :)

I'm a realist.  Reality and history lead me to believe that Cousins isn't the answer.  Same with RGIII.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14880/kirk-cousins

The opportunities are there.  If RG3 can have the hope to learn to be an NFL QB then KC should have the ability to cut back on INTs (his only real weakness we've seen).

Please remember... this is still Kirk Cousins and this is still a rebuilding team.

A miracle worker did not just luck into a start here.

Let's be realistic about expectation management and...

Ah... who am I kidding?

It matters little. 

Not one of the three are worth much of a damn IMHO and Mac will be drafting his next Spring. 

Hail. 

The proverbial crushing grip of logic, here.

Will obviously be rooting hard, and we'll most likely be getting some attractive football blended with some WTFs... but my advice is to root for some of the youth or pick a unit to root for improvement on.

Archived