Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Agreed. But it was a shot. Last year when Griffin was hurt was his big chance. It was his chance to take the job and make it his. He didn't. Again he may get another shot (one way or another I think we will see him at some point this year) and if he does I hope he kills it and makes it his job for ten years. I just don't see it happening.

Those 3 games at the end of 2013 were on a putrid team that had packed it in already, including the HC with a foot out the door,. Nobody was going to look good in that environment.

I don't understand why Kirk wasn't given an open competition this year.

because as an organization we decided our starting QB's ego couldn't be bruised by having an open competition.

which is, in itself, probably all you really need to know about griffin at this point.

Those 3 games at the end of 2013 were on a putrid team that had packed it in already, including the HC with a foot out the door,. Nobody was going to look good in that environment.

It was an opportunity. Not a great opportunity I'd agree, but one he did not make the most of. Last year was a better opportunity - same story. Might be another chapter. We will see.

And this silly excuse continues to rear its ugly head.

So what part of what I said do you disagree with?

- Was it not a putrid team ?

- Did Shanahan not have 1 foot out the door?

- Was it a great environment for a rookie QB making his, what, 2nd start?

I'd love to hear your explanation on why the above are "silly" excuses. To me they had a very real effect on Cousin's performance.

<edit to add>

I guess where I am on this is:

Yes, Cousins has been given some limited opportunities, and his performance has been uneven. I don't believe the opportunities have been under the most ideal conditions however, and I'd like to see him given an opportunity to play at least 8 games without worrying about being pulled. I think he needs to know that he will be allowed to make mistakes and work through them. 2013 was not ideal, and Gruden was quick with the hook last year because I don't think he knew what the hell to do when things started going sideways.

Cousins got a shot at the end of 2013, he did not take it. He got another shot last year with 6 games before he was benched for McCoy, so clearly he did not take that either. He may get another shot at some point this year and he may take it - he does have talent - but that's more hope than expectation IMO.

And yet you have hope for Griffin who since is 2012 injury has clearly looked inept.  In 2014 he clearly was the worse of the 3 and this year forget about it.  The Coaches get roasted for the leaving the poor hapless Griffin in the game with the first team line minus 1 starter.

Cousins has had 9 starts, I don't know what Cousins would like after 36 NFL starts but we know Griffin looks like dog doo after his 36 starts and I want to try something different. 

And yet you have hope for Griffin who since is 2012 injury has clearly looked inept. In 2014 he clearly was the worse of the 3 and this year forget about it. The Coaches get roasted for the leaving the poor hapless Griffin in the game with the first team line minus 1 starter.

What do you think I meant when I said in my first post in this thread...

"I just want a guy to grab the job, perform and make it his. I'm increasingly of the view that guy is not currently on the roster."

But congratulations for summing up everything that's wrong with the RGIII v Cousins 'debate' in one post.

Agreed. But it was a shot. Last year when Griffin was hurt was his big chance. It was his chance to take the job and make it his. He didn't. Again he may get another shot (one way or another I think we will see him at some point this year) and if he does I hope he kills it and makes it his job for ten years. I just don't see it happening.

Now, lets be fair about this. Yes, Cousins slacked off and went into a slump; name a QB that hasn't. Thats why coaches stick with their QB to give them the backing they need, and eventually they work their way out.

And it didn't help that our 3P defense didn't do any favors or help out, but KC didn't get near the opportunity Griffin did, so its not fair to say 'he had his chance'.

and i want a prrivate jet....looks like we're both out of luck.

Just use your moms credit card :P

:

Scott Mitchell probably grabs a tub of vaseline and locks the bathroom door thinking about the chance(s) Kirk has had since January 2013 to win the job outright and/or AT WORST improve his worth in the sport. 

:

Kirk Cousins is the control on a science project, he's the placebo in a drug test, starting him 16 games will have no effect on this team good or bad.

giphy.gif

I agree with the post. Kirk should DEFINITELY start 16 games.

RG3 hasnt looked good so far, and McCoy is a temp band aid. BUT, Kirk last season didn't win the job from Colt, and McCoy was preferred to him(Kirk). So i'd like Kirk to start so we can all see that he is not the answer right now, but i feel would win 1-2 games more than RG3 would.

Other than that its just a matter of choosing who is not going to suck as much as the next person

If we could get a third round pick for Cousins, I would trade him. Of course, everybody knows we have gotten zero offers for Cousins in three years now. Reality is, his only shot (again) to start is probably in Washington. I would be as comfortable with Colt McCoy starting. Cousins has a lot of people pulling for him (and against Griffin), including one person I have zero respect for, and that is Mike Shanahan.

I am curious to know how people can say there weren't any offers for him? Does anyone know this as fact or only speculation? How do we know the FO didn't put such a high price on a potential trade and would only settle for a high pick. We know Cleveland offered a 4th last year but it was not accepted. My guess (only a guess) is they are keeping him because the RG3 escapade looks like a failure and if/when he fails, they still have KC waiting with CM as his backup.

I want to go with Cousins too.  I've defended the other guy ever since he was drafted but this summer I've finally given up.  If Cousins gets all the first team reps and attention and time a starting QB receives then he can improve and possibly be a good QB.  Cousins just has "it" and can play the position without a complete fundamental overhaul.

... Kool story bro?

it's nice to have wants... but we've seen Kurt play. It was ugly. The only difference was that expectations were lower, so it felt less ugly than a gimpy rg3 looking like a ball bouncing around bumpers in a pinball machine as his eyes glazed over right after the snap.

I honestly doubt even Tom effing Brady would look like a franchise qb behind this coach and o line.... passable, yes. franchise, no.

any of the QBs we have now are barely passable. so...

I think if Griffin gets benched and subsequently released this offseason, Cousins is resigned on a short-term team friendly deal and goes into camp as the starter. Perhaps with a high draft pick as his backup. Cousins could replace RG3 early in the season and light it up, earning a long-term deal, but I think it's more likely we see an improved version of his 2014 self with perhaps still some inconsistency.

I am curious to know how people can say there weren't any offers for him? Does anyone know this as fact or only speculation? How do we know the FO didn't put such a high price on a potential trade and would only settle for a high pick. We know Cleveland offered a 4th last year but it was not accepted. My guess (only a guess) is they are keeping him because the RG3 escapade looks like a failure and if/when he fails, they still have KC waiting with CM as his backup.

Redskins have denied that Cleveland made any offer for Cousins. Also, Scott stated in April that we have received no offers for Cousins.

I think Kurt might make the game more watchable.. less cringey....

I agree. Kurt Warner still has the juice.

I am curious to know how people can say there weren't any offers for him?

Because he's still here. Frankly that means that he either got no offers or no offers worth considering. That may have been more true last year than this year, but Cousins has been on the trade block with the Redskins announcing they were open to offers for two years and yet he's still here.

That doesn't mean that Cousins lacks potential. I'm not sure how any QB could really succeed under the limitations we have placed on them. Both RGIII and Cousins have looked worse than they should. This year, if Scherff and Moses pan out and mature quickly will be the first where the QB under center has at least an average offensive line.

I think Cousins if given a year would open some eyes, but it's no stretch to say as of right now he has not done that. More importantly, his play and potential has not been good enough to open any GM's wallet.

Because he's still here. Frankly that means that he either got no offers or no offers worth considering. That may have been more true last year than this year, but Cousins has been on the trade block with the Redskins announcing they were open to offers for two years and yet he's still here.

That doesn't mean that Cousins lacks potential. I'm not sure how any QB could really succeed under the limitations we have placed on them. Both RGIII and Cousins have looked worse than they should. This year, if Scherff and Moses pan out and mature quickly will be the first where the QB under center has at least an average offensive line.

I think Cousins if given a year would open some eyes, but it's no stretch to say as of right now he has not done that. More importantly, his play and potential has not been good enough to open any GM's wallet.

I think we value kirk higher then we let on. He is our insurance policy. A policy we've had to call on quite a few times. That being said, we can't afford to let him go for what the rest of the league sees as a fair trade.

I think we value kirk higher then we let on. He is our insurance policy. A policy we've had to call on quite a few times. That being said, we can't afford to let him go for what the rest of the league sees as a fair trade.

Yup. At the same time, I also think that he can be a starter. I've seen some good stuff. However, Cousin's problems are more than just the interceptions. The interceptions are the biggest, most glaring problem. He also has significant third down and second half issues. Now, they might be correctable, but he hasn't corrected them in three years. He always starts out great and then tails off hard. My guess is that as DC's start game planning for him he has tells which must make him easier to defend. Part of that I suspect is not due to him, but our line. He is a one read QB. First read and it's out. That means corners and safeties can play tight and jump routes with impunity. He also sees things that his arm can't quite do. Which is the Grossman/Farve problem.

His biggest problem though might have been Haslett. With Haslett, no lead was safe no matter how late in the game it was which meant that QBs always had to press and never had a series off. They always had to score or they would fall behind. A better line and a better defense will make both QBs worlds better.

Archived