Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haszard County: The official '15 OTA's/Camp Twitter thread, Duke & the Schreff, Boss Hog!

SWFLSkins

Off to take the grandkids to Universal Studios, will be offline for most of the morning

It's 5;24 sure they aren't wanting to sleep in until 6? hahhaa, What time did you get up 3? Grandkids like granpa eats lunch so late, like at 4, I could go on,,,,haaha, Hope y'all have a wonderful day and you can still move fast enough to beat the lines on the rides. 

2015 #Redskins Training Camp begins two weeks from today. And I will be there.

Weird that it's 8 days until the start of TC and this site is dead. I've seen more life in a morgue. 

I guess it's the 20 years (1992-2012) that put people in a funk, then have a 1 year respite with frenzied excitement, only to watch it go down in flames on the Fed Ex turf. 

I have to admit, I'm like the rest, first time in a long time that I'm not really excited about a new season.  I can't put my finger on it, but I've felt less enthusiasm for an NFL season than ever before.  And it's not just the Redskins, its the NFL as a whole.  I guess I'm just tired of the same teams winning all the time. I hate a lot of the rule changes that I believe have made the game horrible.

It really is weird that I have no excitement whatsoever.  I'm usually on pins and needled counting down the days and getting ready for preseason. Even with Scot making some good changes, I'm still "meh" about the NFL.

Even the ATN Section in here has been dead.  Hardly any opposing fans either.

Weird that it's 8 days until the start of TC and this site is dead. I've seen more life in a morgue. 

I guess it's the 20 years (1992-2012) that put people in a funk, then have a 1 year respite with frenzied excitement, only to watch it go down in flames on the Fed Ex turf. 

I have to admit, I'm like the rest, first time in a long time that I'm not really excited about a new season.  I can't put my finger on it, but I've felt less enthusiasm for an NFL season than ever before.  And it's not just the Redskins, its the NFL as a whole.  I guess I'm just tired of the same teams winning all the time. I hate a lot of the rule changes that I believe have made the game horrible.

It really is weird that I have no excitement whatsoever.  I'm usually on pins and needled counting down the days and getting ready for preseason. Even with Scot making some good changes, I'm still "meh" about the NFL.

All of the drama and leaks over the past 5 years drained everyone's energy.

PJ, part of me agrees with you, but part of me is savoring the fact that for the first time in a long time, the Redskins legitimately HAD an offseason.  Their focus was on quietly improving the roster and not jamming marketing schemes down our throat about how all our our big name, shiny new acquisitions will turn this team into a Super bowl winner in just one season.  Realistic expectations, players settling into workout routines to prepare for the season, minimal off season drama of players getting in trouble, no Subway ad overload. Our mindset as an organization seems to have shifted.  From now on, if the team has headlines or is in the news, its for what they do on the field.  Since they haven't gotten to the field yet, there really shouldn't be much going on.  I can't wait for training camp and preseason to come around, and for our players to be getting press and exposure for being football players, rather than just off season celebrities.  As much as I enjoy leaked playbook photos and eastern Motors ads, I would trade that in a heartbeat for guys who make a name for themselves by outplaying the competition and lighting up their opponents on gameday because they used every second of the off season to do their boring, day to day preparation and grunt work.

I don't know. I don't think it's lack of excitement. It's just that it doesn't feel real yet. We're still in the doldrums and not much is happening. The lid has been put on Redskins' Park and so little drama or crazy rumors are leaking out and we've done the RGIII,  o line, and coaching tango for months now with nothing new to add.

I think I'm revving up for the season. I have my doubts and my hopes too. This feels like a forging season. Can RGIII be hammered into a QB again? Can we smelt an O-line that isn't brittle? Have we sharpened our blades to pierce the shields of the enemy or will they be blunt with hafts that crack and splinter? Do we have scouts that can stall the enemy at need and rush of arms that make captains hesitate and generals doubt their plans?

If it feels strange to go into battle under the flags of Gruden and Barry, it's because it is. The only proven quantity we have is a running back, a linebacker, and McCloughin. Everything else is a question, but a question where the answer doesn't have to be "no."

For instance, I think we'll have a solid defensive line. I think the dbs will be better. I have some worries about the linebacking corp (even though that should be our strength)  We have a fearsome group of wide receivers. We have a very good runner. We have a better QB than some think, but one that hasn't become good yet. We have a line that finally has potential, but we don't know how much of it will be realized.

As I said, it's a forging year. By year's end, we will learn not only what weapon we made, but what metal we wound up working with.

Don't worry if we come out and put up 30+ points and shut the Dolphins out on opening day the Optimism will be on Overload around here.

I'm amped but quietly, cautiously amped 'cuz so much is up in the air right now. We don't know anything yet so I am kinda waiting and working hard on keeping my big yap shut (publicly anyway) until we see what we have to work with. There is an awful lot to be hopeful about, but IMO Callahan and Fewell might just end up being the big FA acquisitions this season that have an effect right away.

Until TC though I'm just roasting like a rotisserie chicken here desperately praying that the Hope platter I ordered off the menu doesn't turn out to be the same ole **** sandwich they been serving me for 20 yrs.............

And it's not just the Redskins, its the NFL as a whole. 

This is how I feel. If I weren't such a big Redskins fan I would probably ditch the NFL.

I am about fed up with all the stupid and wimpy rule changes, drugs, DUIs, PEDs, domestic violence and greed.

I was in the car picking up my daughter and I was listening to 980; they announced it was 9 days away. My reaction was "Really?!" In the past, I've been on countdown. Now, it's not a blip on the radar--I had absolutely no emotional reaction. I was more interested in hearing about the Nats walking wounded returning--with a big series coming up against the Mets (that the Mets even loaded up to face the Nats.)

I love it and can't get enough, both of the Redskins and the NFL. I don't really mind any of the rule changes either.

Once TC starts, this site and the excitement will pick back up.

We have a real GM guys, now is not the time for apathy...

2010. We said the same thing. Honestly, now is the perfect time for apathy, I want to see it done, not talked about. Until then, for me personally, I'll be in the Tailgate 90% of the time and gearing up for a pennant race.

I wasnt on the board in 2010 but surely Bruce and Scott do not have nearly the same resumes as GM, talent scouts and team builders.

Besides, there was a lot of big names and hype that offseason and there isn't now which is a refreshing change that makes me more excited

I hear you, but Riggo is echoing a sentiment a lot of veteran ESers feel. You mention how Scot is an improvement over Allen and that should have us excited. He certainly is an improvement, but Allen was an improvement over Cerrato... Shanny over Zorn... RGIII over Grossman, and I'm sure we can list a dozen other instances where off season acquisitions fed our appetites.

However, we get burned every time. Every. Single. Time.

I don't feel fans are less excited, we are just wayyy more guarded about our excitement. And smartly, we are taking a wait-and-see approach.

I've been drifting this way too. Five years ago I would have been all over these threads or starting my own discussing all the different breaks that might get us to 9 or 10 wins. I'd be so excited to watch pre-season games (not only ours) and see all the new guys on different teams. I don't even think I could tell you where major FAs signed. I know the major people that we brought in, but couldn't tell you much more. 

We'll see - maybe a couple years of winning would change that or maybe I'm growing up (38 years old!). 

I love it and can't get enough, both of the Redskins and the NFL. I don't really mind any of the rule changes either.

Once TC starts, this site and the excitement will pick back up.

We have a real GM guys, now is not the time for apathy...

I am on board with this sentiment.  the weeks leading up to camp are usually the deadest media coverage wise of the team, with many media types who like to cover football out on vacation.

Once camp starts, things should be hopping.  I would say this season has more of a wait and see environment than the typical one where many of us are dreading the idea that things could go south again and we have a repeat of last year.  It's certainly feasible.  Equally IMO feasible is this season is the kickstart to a resurgence.   To me its a big time wildcard season  and many of us have been burned too many times when we've banked on best case scenario so its easier to envision these days worse case scenario. 

For me, its one of the hardest seasons to gauge in advance -- it wouldn't shock me if they go 8-8, 9-7, and conversely it wouldn't shock me if they went 4-12 again.  Am leaning a little more on the optimism side and splitting those two scenarios in the middle, so I'll go 7-9.

I also think there is a lot of emotion with some and a chunk of it negative as to both the head coach and QB where some people are just waiting for that dynamic to change -- new coach, new QB -- and knowing if that's the case that won't happen until 2016 making it tough to get into 2015. 

I hear you, but Riggo is echoing a sentiment a lot of veteran ESers feel. You mention how Scot is an improvement over Allen and that should have us excited. He certainly is an improvement, but Allen was an improvement over Cerrato... Shanny over Zorn... RGIII over Grossman, and I'm sure we can list a dozen other instances where off season acquisitions fed our appetites.

I don't feel fans are less excited, we are just wayyy more guarded about our excitement. And smartly, we are taking a wait-and-see approach.

I definitely understand that feeling. It's just not as fun for me. I don't want to be reserved, I let it out. I've rather come to enjoy the subdued highs of excitement with the bottomless lows of pain and personal torment.

Noticed my bar last night was looking a little empty and I said, football seasons coming up babe, I need to restock the bar soon. She said, "you don't have to tell me, I know

how the Redskins make you drink"

Weird that it's 8 days until the start of TC and this site is dead....

Yeah, I think part of it is that the offseason schedule change makes this everyone's break. With all the added time before the draft, I'm just sort of mentally drained when it comes to football. I also pay much less attention during the deadzone of the offseason. Once TC begins, I'll start checking tweets regularly and the excitement will begin building.

I think, during this TC, my excitement will be pretty subdued. We have a GM for the first time (who has a pretty great record as a GM and drafter), and a brand new DC (with a terrible previous post as a DC) and we're all sort of riding the wave of what Griffin turns out to be.

Honestly, I don't have any clue what to expect from this season, so it's hard to get excited when you feel like your team could either go 0-16 or, with a **** ton of luck, squeak into the playoffs in a terrible division.

Vinny Cerrato, Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen -- none were known to be even mediocre at being a GM when they came here.  Either they have never done it before or fired by previous employers for being mediocre to bad at it.  In defense of Bruce he was really touted as a money guy not a personnel guy. 

It's like running a restaurant and trying chefs who have never cooked before and can't even do it full time because they have other jobs and or grabbing the chef down the street who was canned and out of work.

Scot McCloughan IMO is a radical departure for Danny.   Yeah he can fail.  But at least they have hired a guy in demand who is known to be among the best at what they do.  Its equally stunning to me that for a smart businessman, it never dawned on Danny on doing this sooner. 

Vinny Cerrato, Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen -- none were known to be even mediocre at being a GM when they came here. Either they have never done it before or fired by previous employers for being mediocre to bad at it. In defense of Bruce he was really touted as a money guy not a personnel guy.

It's like running a restaurant and trying chefs who have never cooked before and can't even do it full time because they have other jobs and or grabbing the chef down the street who was canned and out of work.

Scot McCloughan IMO is a radical departure for Danny. Yeah he can fail. But at least they have hired a guy in demand who is known to be among the best at what they do. Its equally stunning to me that for a smart businessman, it never dawned on Danny on doing this sooner.

as a chef, I completely endorse this comparison.

Article talks about some changes for training camp: The city-run paid parking spots are going up to $10. No more parking at the baseball field, and no shuttle services + stuff about food.

Archived