Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

21 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

This thread is still alive? Sweet merciful God, make it stop. This is, without a doubt, the worst thread in the history of the internet.

By the way, you guys know that Chris Samuels didn't really need to retire in 2010, right?

THINK ABOUT IT, MAN!!!

Thread will be back to full speed when football starts again. Don't worry about that.

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Thread will be back to full speed when football starts again. Don't worry about that.

That's what I'm worried about.

But I was serious about the Chris Samuels thing. If you recall, the Skins were in constant cap Purgatory and every year they would buy themselves a little relief by restructuring Samuels... reducing his base salary and giving him more guaranteed money. In fact, they had just extended him the year before.

When he retired, the Redskins said that they were aware of his spinal stenosis condition and always had been. So either they were closely monitoring their best player's health and were confident in his ability to continue playing before continuously restructuring him and giving him more and more guaranteed money or this is the most idiotic franchise in all of sports...

Ok that last part doesn't really support my theory. The Skins might actually have been that stupid.

Anyway, it just so happens that he "HAD" to retire and take his nice new restructured contract with all that guaranteed money on a nice vacation in 2010 during the offseason leading up to the uncapped year, clearing millions and millions of dollars in cap space. Oh, he also made the announcement one month before the NFL draft where the team was going to be in prime position to draft a premier left tackle (Trent Williams).

49 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That's what I'm worried about.

I don't see why people should be worried about this thread. If you read the Op it's a good place to rant, vent, and everything that goes with it about stuff you can't control and seem unfair.

This place is filled with sarcasm and irony, and should be taken as such. Play the game, it's a fun one. After all, that's what conspiracy theory is all about, making you believe there's a conspiracy, while there's in fact none except making you believe there's one because that makes the guy in charge smarter, while they are mostly dumb and stupid and doesn't want to admit mistakes.

Now I don't see how much you Chris Samuels' story fits the conspiracy theory. I don't recall much of it, but I don't see any conspiracy here.

• Like 1

Wow, certainly didn't expect to see this on the front page when I logged on today.

But since it's here, I'll drop this little theory I've got about the upcoming season. 

Here's an article from March of this year, when the NFL  passed a controversial, and extremely ambiguous rule about helmet to helmet targeting.

NFL passes rule to prevent helmet-to-helmet hits, but it could lead to more controversy

The NFL is running the risk of adding an ambiguous and inconsistent rule.

By Adam Stites  Updated Mar 28, 2018, 12:14pm EDT

The NFL’s effort to make football safer was expanded Tuesday by league owners who voted to approve a rule that seeks to take head-first collisions out of the game.

Discussions about curbing the worst collisions in the sport led to the drafting of a new rule that quickly went to a vote.

Playing Rule Article 8: It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. The player may be disqualified. Applies to any player anywhere on the field. The player may be disqualified.

What’s different about the NFL now with the new rule?

If strictly applied by NFL officials, it could have a sweeping effect on the game. Lowering one’s helmet is an instinct that may be difficult to legislate out of the sport overnight. The result could be many more penalty flags and automatic first downs.

“The crown of the helmet rule got way too narrow,” Falcons president and competition committee chairman Rich McKay said Tuesday. “This has very little requirement to it. This is simply, if you lower your head to initiate contact and you make contact with an opponent, it’s a foul.”

......if every instance of a player lowering their helmet to initiate contact — helmet-to-helmet or otherwise — results in a penalty, it’d be a huge change to the entire sport. Imagine if every quarterback sneak was suddenly an offensive penalty......

......The likely result is it will only be used when an egregious hit occurs. But that brings plenty of ambiguity and judgment into play. Earlier Tuesday, the NFL got positive reviews for changing a catch rule that was plagued by those same issues. Now the league is running the risk of adding a rule that’s just as controversial and inconsistent.

What is the NFL and what are players saying about the change?

.....Players are unimpressed, though. Some of the league’s most vocal defensive players have expressed concerns.

“I don’t know how you’re going to play the game,” Washington cornerback Josh Norman toldUSA Today. “If your helmet comes in contact? How are you going to avoid that if you’re in the trenches and hit a running back, facemask to facemask, and accidentally graze the helmet? It’s obviously going to happen. So, I don’t know even what that definition looks like.”

Text from former NFL linebacker: “Can't believe how ridiculous this lowering of the head thing is. Go back and watch any game and you will see probably 30 to 50 examples of guys lowering their head on contact. A f——— mess. Why does the NFL want to self-destruct?”

“It’s ridiculous,” 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman told USA Today. “Like telling a driver if you touch the lane lines, you’re getting a ticket. (It’s) gonna lead to more lower-extremity injuries.”

Full article here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyway, the interesting thing to me is that, according to the rule, it looks like helmet to helmet targeting can be called on ANY player on the field, offensive or defensive.  My question is, does this apply to running backs as well? 

Which division in Football has just re-invented itself with young, explosive running backs?  And which team in the division just drafted a notoriously violent runner who will have no chance to adjust to the NFL level before this rule is implemented?

This upcoming season, I'm going to be paying specific attention to:
- how opposing teams tackle Guice,
- whether or not this new rule limits Guice and makes him have to alter his running style, and
- where and when this new rule is implemented on gameday. 

The fact that this is yet another example of the refs being asked to make a judgement call on the field, with implications that could disqualify a player, makes it ripe with potential to alter a game's outcome or completely undo huge, momentum shifting plays.

I also predict this rule will cause at least one "WTF that's so unfair" moment for this team this season, as well as numerous instances of uneven enforcement from team to team around the league. 

I can also totally see someone like Josh Norman (who already spoke out against it), and D.J. Swearinger falling victim to this while Giants and Cowboy players are allowed a much wider margin of error.

Keep your eyes open folks!!!!!! 
Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 8

The new helmet rule is ridiculous. It will obviously be used to help the Giants and Eagles against the Cowboys and Redskins.

I find it very interesting that the words "the player may be disqualified" are repeated. Why?

"Playing Rule Article 8: It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. The player may be disqualified. Applies to any player anywhere on the field. The player may be disqualified."

As a redskin fan, you can almost instinctively chalk up one heartbreaking loss this year from this new rule being used to call a penalty against us in a crucial moment. 

I would  not even be surprised if it was week 1.  As they look to make an example early. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

This has been a horrible rule in college also with a lot of opposition to it. A team's depth may be tested from time to time.

Well....if the past injury ridden seasons have taught us anything...its depth....

How is it  that Matt Patricia was a coach for the nfl darling patriots for 14 years without a word of improriety but a mere couple months after he goes to one of the leauges bottom tier teams a reporter gets a huge story on him with a two second Google search? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How is it  that Matt Patricia was a coach for the nfl darling patriots for 14 years without a word of improriety but a mere couple months after he goes to one of the leauges bottom tier teams a reporter gets a huge story on him with a two second Google search? 

Revenge of the Krafts!

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 9:23 AM, Wildbunny said:

When they say:

Read:

Redskins players will automatically be disqualified on the first penalty.

Giants' players will be disqualified after the 30th penalty.

Lets fire this one back up....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/05/14/parties-reach-settlement-in-eli-manning-giants-memorabilia-fraud-lawsuit/?utm_term=.faa588ff1514

Now that Eli has settled his case, will the NFL treat him the way the NFL treated Zeke or Tom Brady and suspend him anyway? Both of those situations didn't go to trial, both of those situations resulted in suspensions for these players based off text messages. In Eli's case the text messages were emails that stated

A court filing from April 2017 showed a 2008 email exchange from Inselberg to equipment manager Joe Skiba, in which the former asked if a helmet and jersey being represented as game-used were actually “the bs ones eli asked you to make up because he didnt want to give up the real stuff.” Skiba replied, “BS ones, you are correct.”

Another email exchange, this one from Manning’s personal account to Skiba, appeared to show the quarterback asking Skiba to produce two helmets “that can pass as game used.”

That should be more then enough to get Eli suspended. Since he plays for the Giants does any one actually think the NFL will suspend him though? Conspiracy...we shall see. 

• Like 3

I think they won't suspend him mainly out of pity. He's got enough challenges getting through life without that...

eliface.jpg

On another note, I predict that later on this year we hear allegations that Matt Patricia framed Aaron Hernandez, and is really the killer.

Edited by MassSkinsFan
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Regarding the helmet rule, from Norman's press conference today:

On the new helmet rule:

"Really I don’t, other than just leaning with the crown of your head which is, I think is basic in the rules of the game that you learn since pee-wee and stuff. Have your head up, bold neck, just face-mask contact, but not that I know of, you know lean down with the crown of your head. I think that was taught - basic elementary. Now I guess there’s a big emphasis on that which I thought it was before but face mask always up anyways, hit what you see, which is what you have always taught. But being that this is now a rule where you can’t lead with the crown of your head just got to play up better but in the heat of the moment that split second, you’re just trying to get the guy down. Trust me, they’re definitely going to look for that fine, it will be there, waiting in your locker. FedEx delivery." 

• 4 weeks later...

@Malapropismic Depository

Says the NFL has been fixing games since about 2000.  In 2005, I think the NFL would have wanted the 'Skins to beat Tampa.  Would have likely ended up with a re-match between Seattle and Washington for the NFC Championship followed by a possible re-match in the SB along with a Portis versus Champ story line or  a SB match up between two of the NFL's oldest franchises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

@Malapropismic Depository

Says the NFL has been fixing games since about 2000.  In 2005, I think the NFL would have wanted the 'Skins to beat Tampa.  Would have likely ended up with a re-match between Seattle and Washington for the NFC Championship followed by a possible re-match in the SB along with a Portis versus Champ story line or  a SB match up between two of the NFL's oldest franchises.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The NFL doesn't rig games. Stop.

I think it's also suspicious that recently over the past several years they installed new rules that are extremely vague and open to interpretation.

That opens the door to rigging games, when a ref can implement a rule wherever he chooses to, based on some mystery interpretation of the rule.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just a little bumperooski after this latest installment of "Refs psyche out the Redskins early, team decides it's not worth trying"

I'm not even going to bother with a recap.  You can literally go back and look at any other Monday night game I've covered in here and see the same storyline play out.  It had everything.  The returning player who has a huge game, the opposing Player setting some kind of record against us, a terrible ranked defense magically looking like world beaters, one sided calls all day, a mysterious lack of any penalties on the other team until the game was out of reach.  The phantom flag to extend a drive that never gets shown on replay.

Skins once again played their parts to perfection as the punching bags for whatever storyline of the week the NFL wanted to push.  This isn't football.  Its predictable garbage.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1