Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

From Peter King's new article, concerning Vernon Davis getting fined for celebration:

• Vernon Davis, you can shoot that jump shot again, without getting whacked. The NFL flagged and fined 26 players for excessive celebration last year; most of those celebrations this season will not be penalized or fined. Commissioner Roger Goodell and his staff met on at least two occasions this spring with a large group of players (one club official told me Goodell talked with more than 40 players about this issue) and came to his senses: It’s asinine to use the “ball as prop” reason to penalize players, and even more asinine to fine someone $12,000 for the simple act of expressing joy after scoring a touchdown. Most of those penalties will disappear Tuesday at the league meeting. For instance, this “foul” will be wiped off the books: Remember when Davis, the Washington tight end, caught a touchdown pass against the Eagles last October and then calmly shot the football over the crossbar, as if was shooting a basketball into the hoop? Last year that was a 15-yard penalty and a $12,154 fine. This year, if the league approves, it will be neither a penalty or a fine. (That has more than just sportsmanship aspects to it. Last year, the 15-yard flag against Davis caused Washington kicker Dustin Hopkins to make a short kickoff, and Eagles returner Wendell Smallwood brought it back for an 86-yard touchdown.) Thankfully, intelligent heads will prevail, and that silliness is very likely to be knocked off the books in 2017.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/22/nfl-power-rankings-offseason-peter-king-part-one

So when a Cowboys running back does a MORE ELABORATE celebration later in the same season, there's no fine and then they go ahead and change the rule in the offseason?  Yup sounds about right.  Absolutely seems like even enforcement across the board. 

I forgot that Davis' penalty lead to a kick off return touchdown for the Eagles, but definitely a fitting end, because of course it did. 

Just another example of the NFL admitting they were wrong after the fact, but in a way that does nothing to change the on-field outcome of the call.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Thanks 1

CSN is purposely  making the Skins/Cousins negotiations sound bad for ratings and hits.  I mean the last we heard last week was a twitter mention that negotiations weren't so bad.  Today they have an article basically dismissing the idea of an LTD and talking about another franchise tag next year

2 hours ago, carex said:

CSN is purposely  making the Skins/Cousins negotiations sound bad for ratings and hits.  I mean the last we heard last week was a twitter mention that negotiations weren't so bad.  Today they have an article basically dismissing the idea of an LTD and talking about another franchise tag next year

There is no news outside of saying he's signed a LTD or words from his mouth stating he won't.  Everything else is just chatter, from negotiations not 'being so bad' to speculation a deal won't get done.  None of it is actual news.  In their defense, they need something to talk about and nobody has given them anything.  It's their job.

Looks like Norman is going for two years in a row as "NFL's most penalized player".  From the new bleacher report article:

Do you really see yourself as that last samurai, the last soldier, fighting for the good of the game? The league's changing. Everyone around you is changing. And you're saying F that.

I'm the last of the Mohicans that's standing, that is in that mindset. ... What makes or breaks me is how I feel about how I do things and how I go about life inside those white lines because I'm a lion. That's why I'm so glad we got DJ (Swearinger) this year because he knows how we roll. When you have a guy like that who can back you up, man? It's so good.

That must help when you're going into games against Dez and Odell this season.

Trust me when I tell you, it's going to be bad blood this year. You think the NFC East didn't like each other before? This year right here? There's going to be a lot of fines and maybe some suspensions. I'm going to be honest with you: This **** is going to get really ugly. Because I do have a safety that don't give a **** and I definitely don't. And I know they don't have that many people on the offense who do on their side.

And if it turns south like it did that last time, you're not holding back?

I'm letting all hell break loose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711580-josh-norman-the-nfls-last-true-warrior-is-ready-to-let-all-hell-break-loose

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Looks like Norman is going for two years in a row as "NFL's most penalized player".  From the new bleacher report article:

Do you really see yourself as that last samurai, the last soldier, fighting for the good of the game? The league's changing. Everyone around you is changing. And you're saying F that.

I'm the last of the Mohicans that's standing, that is in that mindset. ... What makes or breaks me is how I feel about how I do things and how I go about life inside those white lines because I'm a lion. That's why I'm so glad we got DJ (Swearinger) this year because he knows how we roll. When you have a guy like that who can back you up, man? It's so good.

That must help when you're going into games against Dez and Odell this season.

Trust me when I tell you, it's going to be bad blood this year. You think the NFC East didn't like each other before? This year right here? There's going to be a lot of fines and maybe some suspensions. I'm going to be honest with you: This **** is going to get really ugly. Because I do have a safety that don't give a **** and I definitely don't. And I know they don't have that many people on the offense who do on their side.

And if it turns south like it did that last time, you're not holding back?

I'm letting all hell break loose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711580-josh-norman-the-nfls-last-true-warrior-is-ready-to-let-all-hell-break-loose

Norman, Swearinger and Anderson possess the attitude that this defense has lacked and needed sorely for such a long time (since Greg?)..."Dogs of War" attitude. Everybody wants a new nickname for the defense? That is my proposal, now live up to it

Edited by RedBeast
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Roger.Staubach said:

Is that type of attitude something you want to root for???  Dude sounds like a douche.

I find myself conflicted with Norman.  I think his mindset is interesting but sort of wonder how much of it is for show.  I respect his story and grind to get where he is.  At the same time I completely understand why non Redskins fans roll their eyes when he opens his mouth.  

2 hours ago, Roger.Staubach said:

Is that type of attitude something you want to root for???  Dude sounds like a douche.

Yeah, but he's our douche. :ols: 

Wait, aren't you guys used to rooting for douches? And not just douches on the field, but total scumbags off of it, too. 

Teach us how to cope with that since you've undoubtedly become an expert at it. Should be easier for us since we don't have to worry about the off field stuff that's even worse. I mean, "boys will be boys", right? :D 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Roger.Staubach said:

The ****?

Our best defensive player is saying he is bringing it gameday with 100% warrior mentality and that makes him a douche? If he was a cowboy his jersey would outsell e-wok21 and Dak-Dig'emfrog... 

Edited by Rattlesnake88

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I find myself conflicted with Norman.  I think his mindset is interesting but sort of wonder how much of it is for show.  I respect his story and grind to get where he is.  At the same time I completely understand why non Redskins fans roll their eyes when he opens his mouth.  

Dude is damned good on the field and I can appreciate his attempts to get under his opponent's skin.  

I just wish there was a mute button for him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roger.Staubach said:

Douche is exclusively reserved for Cow****es...they own the copyrights for douches. The Dallas Massengills I tell ya

Edited by RedBeast
  • Like 4

This defense has lacked talent, and on top of it, lacked attitude, for nearly a decade now

I don't take Normans words totally at face value. He's the leader of the defense now, no question, and he's letting it be known what is expected. We are going to hate joy and happiness, and love misery and despair. He's setting the bar and challenging his teammates to meet him there

• Like 2

I for one love it. I hope the rest of the defense takes notice and gets mean too. It is Washington vs everyone. Norman is already starting the mind games early. We all know OBJ is mentally weak.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

I for one love it. I hope the rest of the defense takes notice and gets mean too. It is Washington vs everyone. Norman is already starting the mind games early. We all know OBJ is mentally weak.

Hopefully this is the year someone on our team finally crushes his ass over the middle. Gotten so tired of seeing him run through our secondary with no fear

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roger.Staubach said:

To make a defense jump from where it was previously, you really kind of need some sociopaths out there.  For example, teams like the Seahawks, Broncos, Steelers (late 2000's), and Ravens (2000's) have had some inflammatory characters that did not shy from saying/doing some less than respectable things.  Bucs elite D from early 2000's had Warren Sapp who definitely fit that bill.

You need that abrasive personality to set the tone and edge for a defense.  If that abrasive personality is also focused and aimed not against his locker room but against other teams...good stuff tends to happen.

We have 2 unusual and fiery personalities on our defense now.  Ryan Anderson and Josh Norman.  Possibly Swearinger if recent rumors are true.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm concerned that Jerruh is trying to get influence with the Roman Catholics  - here he is presenting a Cowturds jersey to the Pope:

0ap3000000816851.jpg

At the end of next season we'll have to run an analysis to examine whether there is correlation between ref calls in favor of the Pukes and Catholic officials.

default_smile.png

• Like 2

On 5/25/2017 at 6:18 PM, Roger.Staubach said:

He's a great guy off the field, and he backs up his bravado in a billion different ways on the field. I have zero problem with Norman.

Does your stance have to do with how he and Dez went back and forth during the Thanksgiving game? lol...

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 1:20 PM, Califan007 said:

He's a great guy off the field, and he backs up his bravado in a billion different ways on the field. I have zero problem with Norman.

Does your stance have to do with how he and Dez went back and forth during the Thanksgiving game? lol...

No Dez has his own issues.  Seems our division is loaded with immature 'adults'.

Are the Giants getting preferential treatment in this case?  With last season's Punter's domestic abuse case that got swept under the rug, as well as them getting caught using walkie talkies on the sidelines during games, it's surprising that the NFL isn't playing closer attention to making sure the Giants follow the rules.  Don't forget about who is in charge of the competition committee.   If this case originated in DC, do you think the league would be coming to our defense this way?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/01/nfl-still-has-nothing-to-say-about-giants-memorabilia-case/

Meanwhile, over in Dallas.......

DAK PRESCOTT ACCUSED OF FAKE AUTOGRAPHS

"There’s been no comment so far from Prescott or his agents, but it makes him the second NFC East quarterback in the midst of a memorabilia scandal, along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who is accused of passing off gear as game-wornwhen it may not have been."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/05/report-dak-prescott-accused-of-fake-autographs/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19841501/dak-prescott-accused-using-machine-sign-autograph

This will be especially interesting to see how the NFL handles any punishments for Prescott vs. Eli, a division rival compared to a Giants player.  Not exactly the same offense, but fake memorabilia for both.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Josh Norman Says He's Being targeted with NFL Banning Bow-and-Arrow Celebration

"You're just picking on one person here," Norman said. "[Brandin] Cooks has been doing it for years, and now all of a sudden you want to quit and stop it? Why is that?"

"You can shoot a cannon in a stadium, or you can shoot a musket in a stadium a well," Norman said, referring to celebrations in Tampa Bay and New England. "If one of them is bad and looked at as dangerous, how come not all of them are looked at in that way? ... When someone shoots an imaginary bow and arrow up in the sky, that's a penalty?"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20269020/josh-norman-washington-redskins-feels-targeted-nfl-rule-prohibiting-bow-arrow-celebrations

And just as a a visual reminder:

Week 4:

10,000 fine / 15 yard penalty

josh_norman_celebration_615.jpg

One week later against the same team:

Not worth a fine / no penalty flag on the play

tom-brady-celebrates-first-down-rush-aga

Brandon Cooks repeatedly doing the same gesture without getting fined:

Edited by Reaper Skins

• 4 weeks later...

I can already see where this is headed.  

Goodell gets to claim that he was "tough" on domestic violence with his suspension.  But due to unforeseen circumstances, it suddenly can't be upheld.  They'll make up some nonsense about "not having all the facts" and then... 

Poof!! The league gets its big name star back without the negative backlash.  A bunch of side stories suddenly pop up about "NFL procedures" and "internal miscalculations"  to distract fans from the real issue, the fact that Elliot is getting away with preferential treatment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/01/elliott-alleges-existence-of-a-conspiracy-to-suspend-him/

"The contention of a conspiracy emanates from the alleged decision to keep Roberts away from a June 26 hearing, at which time the evidence was presented to four outside experts who would make recommendations to Goodell, and from a separate meeting with Goodell. The focal point of the conspiracy allegation seems to be NFL Special Counsel for Investigations Lisa Friel.......

....The procedural flaws were obvious throughout the various steps of the process. On Thursday night, the misgivings of Kia Roberts became apparent for the first time. If, as the petition claims, Roberts was kept away from key meetings that resulted in the suspension, the entire case against Elliott could implode."

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly not sure if this was a terrible call or a mercy kill by the ref.  We played like crap and had no business even being in this game.  

That being said, we did have a chance to win going into the final possession.  And this did happen.  Add it to the list.  I've had so many Eagles fans tell me today that it was not a fumble.  Both commentators during the broadcast said that it should have been overturned, including Mike Pereira.  Eagles players on the field didn't think it was a fumble.  Just another "mystifying" call that no one can explain. One more example of a bad team not getting the benefit of the doubt.  On its own perhaps not a big deal.  But it sure seems like this team has more "unexplained" mistakes by the refs than normal.

"Some calls are open for debate. They live in the grey area, and can go either way depending on your perspective.

This is not one of those calls. This seems so blatantly obvious on the first, second and third viewing that even the most ardent Eagles fan would be hard-pressed to argue in its defense. But alas, it wasn’t so. The wrong call stood, and Redskins fans left the first game of the season feeling robbed.

With 1:39 left in the game, the Eagles led the Redskins 22-17 as Cousins looked to convert a short second down on his own 35 yard line. He dropped back to pass and was immediately rushed by Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham from his right side, resulting in a fumble which Cox returned for the score.

The call on the field was a fumble, but there were immediate suspicions that the play would be overturned. Slow motion footage of the play almost ensured it would be, and the Redskins offense was so confident of that fact that they remained on the field throughout"

video and reactions at link

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/washington-redskins-nfl-refs-kirk-cousins-fumble-video-review-refs-wrong-call

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Sad 1

The fact of the matter is the crew for this game was downright pathetic for the entire 4 quarters.  How many 'whoopsie' flags and calls can be made in one game? 

I've watched a lot of football and convinced myself on numerous occasions that things should go our way when under review and they don't.  After the initial cursing, I'm typically capable of being rational about the decision and maintaining my belief that refs don't lose you games and that you can't put a game in their hands.

I sat there and told my wife and son to calm down, it would be overturned, that it was clear as day that his hand went forward and the ball was batted down - incomplete pass.  With each angle they showed the play, my confidence only grew stronger.  I didn't think there was any way possible the play could stand as called.  I cannot recall a scenario in recent memory where I've been more shocked.  Just seeing the shock on the Eagles face, Doug Pederson looked like he won the freaking lottery.

I'm not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories by the league, refs, media, etc. as the Redskins have given me more than enough reasons to lay the blame at their feet in all my years being a fan of the team.  But this really had me wondering what on earth was at play that he could actually have the audacity to trot out there and leave that play as it stood. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's no conspiracy that makes Gruden target Grant 5 times, start Kelley, or Kirk throw the ball 5 yards over Crowders head for a(nother) crushing red Zorn int.

thats just Redskins football.

the reason it feels like we're always on the short end of the stick is because we always make stupid mistakes, and many of them, it amplifies when the refs make one.

If there is a team that has been on the wrong end of two of the most controversial calls in league history, it's the raiders.  The immaculate reception and the tuck rule.  You could argue that they got jobbed both times and it cost them 2 SBs. At least 2 SB appearances.

• Thanks 1