Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

8 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Here's a link to NFL.com's highlights of the game.  Pretty sure the play your talking about is the first one shown if anyone wants to look at it.  Hard to see a clear view of it, I definitely didn't notice it in real time

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000730325/Redskins-vs-Bengals-highlights

Yep that's the one.  They showed a replay from the sideline looking at Crowder and you could see Cousins in the background, and it was all in slow motion too.  My brother and I were yelling at the screen like "HOW DID THAT NOT GET CALLED?!?!?"

Little did we know how the rest of the day would unfold.

EDIT:

Watching these highlights, this just pisses me off even more.  That Crowder touchdown ... wow.  I mean the ref was LITERALLY like 5 feet from the facemask, looking directly at it.  I know people say that the ref is looking to see if he scored a TD, but after the TD he points to the OTHER ref that was also looking to see if he stayed in bounds I guess.  SO there were 2 refs watching that play up close and personal, and no one threw a flag.  Unbelievable.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We don't deserve anyone's respect. We **** ourselves in every embarrassing way and chance we get. Nobody takes us seriously and they shouldn't. After 20+ years of seeing us fall flat on our face, why would we ever get any respect? 

Also, Philly beat down a healthy and rolling Steelers team and the Vikings when they were red hot. They've bought a lot more goodwill than us by those victories 

Maybe you should watch the play Reaper mentioned and tell me if there isn't something going on against our team, why we are being targeted by the media.  If that was not a roughing the passer penalty I don't know what is.

8 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Maybe you should watch the play Reaper mentioned and tell me if there isn't something going on against our team, why we are being targeted by the media.  If that was not a roughing the passer penalty I don't know what is.

It's not in those highlights but do you remember the 15-yard penalty in our favor earlier in the game? I think it was Kelley who basically flopped like a soccer player after a run when a defender kept hold of his foot for an extra second or two. If there was a conspiracy against us, why would we get that call? What about Shanahan's first game against Dallas when the Cowboys scored the GW TD with no time on the clock only to have it nullified by a holding penalty? There are dozens of examples of our team getting the breaks that refute the entire premise of this thread. 

No one is out to get us. Refs make bad calls sometimes, so we are going to be on the wrong end of them and we tend to remember those more than the favorable ones. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's not in those highlights but do you remember the 15-yard penalty in our favor earlier in the game? I think it was Kelley who basically flopped like a soccer player after a run when a defender kept hold of his foot for an extra second or two. If there was a conspiracy against us, why would we get that call? What about Shanahan's first game against Dallas when the Cowboys scored the GW TD with no time on the clock only to have it nullified by a holding penalty? There are dozens of examples of our team getting the breaks that refute the entire premise of this thread. 

No one is out to get us. Refs make bad calls sometimes, so we are going to be on the wrong end of them and we tend to remember those more than the favorable ones. 

That was not a flop at all, the dude wouldn't let go of his foot for like 5 seconds after the play ended.  You simply can't do that.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The guy didn't let go for a few seconds, that's true. But nothing the guy did caused Kelley to fall backwards like he did. That was completely over-exaggerated. 

The ref also had to made that call on the fly though.  he didn't have the benefit of seeing it on replay.  Action after the whistle, Bengals player not letting go.  Kelley definitely overacted, but its still the correct call to make.

Even if it wasn't, us getting a favorable call and them hedging the game in the Bengals favor are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Reaper Skins

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The guy didn't let go for a few seconds, that's true. But nothing the guy did caused Kelley to fall backwards like he did. That was completely over-exaggerated. 

No, but in this case it was actually smart of Kelley to flop since refs weren't calling Bengal players as easily as they were calling our stuff. That should've been a penalty, Kelley flop or not, that idiot Dlineman even grabs back on to Kelley's other foot as he's getting up. 

Jamison Crowder had to turn around and scream on his fair catch where he got hit for the refs to throw it. Bengals players were launching, grabbing our player's face masks and helmets in general, and using their own helmets to hit all game. 

Everyone in that stadium, players and coaches included, saw that the refs were "letting the Bengals play", often through the whistle, but nitpicking anything we did. The penalties they called on us were mostly correct, but that's not the issue though, the issue is why they weren't calling as many ticky tacky penalties on the Bengals - and there were many potential ones - as consistently as they were on us. 

So, yeah, Kelley basically had to do that to get the right call. If anything, we should be pissed off that it took silliness like that from our guys to get the right calls from the refs. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess I shouldn't come into a Conspiracy thread and think I'm going win many debates. 

I think refs mess up all the time, but don't believe anyone is out to get us. 

There is clearly favoritism in the NFL for which team games are to be called a certain way by the officials.   I am not sure what drives it, but it obviously isn't based on money earned by franchise (Since our team is like the 3rd highest revenue) grossing team out there.   With that said,  I would like our team to get the same exact calls and respect that the Patriots or the Packers get.  That is all,  thank you.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

There is clearly favoritism in the NFL for which team games are to be called a certain way by the officials.   I am not sure what drives it, but it obviously isn't based on money earned by franchise (Since our team is like the 3rd highest revenue) grossing team out there.   With that said,  I would like our team to get the same exact calls and respect that the Patriots or the Packers get.  That is all,  thank you.  

Jesus H Christ

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess I shouldn't come into a Conspiracy thread and think I'm going win many debates. 

I was specifically talking about the Bengals game, myself. I was not attempting to provide evidence of any grand conspiracy. 

I don't believe anyone is out to get us, but I do believe there is confirmation bias and perception based subjectivity on the part of refs since, you know, they're human. 

We've mostly sucked as an organization while most of these refs have been in the league. To think that has no effect or to think refs are perfectly objective at all times and aren't allowing their own perceptions to factor into their calls is pretty dang naive. 

I think a good example of this was the Norman-Green matchup. It makes perfect sense they'd be intensely focused on Norman and call him anytime he came near Green's face mask, even though we see DBs get away with those type of hand swiping interactions all the time, never mind Adam Jones' doing it himself to Garçon on that infamous offensive PI call. 

I find it hard to believe it was just honest objectivity that lead to Norman getting called every time on it, and that their perception of either him or his matchup with Green didn't play a major role. To elaborate, it could easily have been just that the refs were paying closer attention to the matchup since it was a high profile one. It only takes one ref to have the perception of Green winning more often than not, or that he should be winning, in his mind to start calling Norman tighter than he'd otherwise would.

I don't think this is exclusive to the Redskins, though. I do think great teams get away with more and bad teams get called on more. Great players get away with more, and bad ones get called on more. Great/Bad can all be perception-based. 

Interestingly and fittingly, as we've improved talent-wise I feel like so has the way the refs call our games. For instance, one of Djax's generated pass interference calls against the Ravens this season was more confirmation bias from the ref than an obvious, objective call. 

13 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well you know, that thread is also done for us to exaggerate things and stuff. It's meant to have fun and **** regarding any conspiracy, even though there probably isn't one :P

It's a great thread to complain about stuff we (as an organisation, not specifically us fans) have no control over.

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1

From Hap in BRBN: 

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/two-bengals-fined-shawn-williams-jamison-crowder-dre-kirkpatrick-penalties-vs-redskins

TWO BENGALS FINED MORE THAN $50,000 COMBINED FOR PENALTIES VS. REDSKINS

Jamison Crowder's head and neck weren't violently twisted in vain during the Redskins game against the Bengals, it turns out. 

Shawn Williams, the Cincinnati safety who nearly ripped Crowder's noggin clean off in London last Sunday as the receiver was diving toward the end zone in the second half, was fined $33,424 by the NFL for multiple violations in the contest, according to NFL writer Tom Pelissero. Surely that play was one of the violations.

Somehow, however, Williams wasn't assessed a penalty after the sequence.

He wasn't the only member of the Bengals secondary to be docked some cash, though. Dre Kirkpatrick also received an envelope from the league and owes $18,231 for a horse-collar tackle he made on Pierre Garçon.

The whole affair was a chippy one, and that physical tone didn't stop when overtime wrapped up. After the conclusion of the game, players from both sides got into a scuffleand exchanged a few not-so-pleasantries. 

As a whole, 22 flags were accepted, as refs got more than their fair share of practice tossing the yellow hankies.

The Bengals have long had a reputation as being a dirty team, and they did nothing to erase that sentiment against Washington. These two fines are just the latest in a long line of them that Cincinnati has picked up in recent seasons.

The bolded above (emphasis mine) is what really pisses me off about the game. I don't usually come on here and complain about the refs, but this one was just ridiculous. Like I said a few posts above, I believe the refs often allow their perceptions of teams/players to color their calls, which causes them to sometimes lose the objectivity necessary for their profession. 

I understand that, however, as just simply human behavior, not a conspiracy against us or any particular team.

What I'm so pissed off about after this game was that the refs had EVERY REASON to perceive the Bengals as a dirty team... yet they managed to get away with so much extra-curricular crap. Often RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REFS.

How did that happen?  

• Like 3

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1147347-report-norman-fined-25k-for-criticizing-officials

Josh Norman's fined 25k for criticism of officials.  Cam Newton, Carson Palmer receive no fine.

And just like that our team's national image has shifted from on field NFL football back to off field MTV drama.  I can feel the season slipping away

Edited by Reaper Skins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/05/josh-norman-appeal-will-be-heard-by-commissioner-or-his-designee/

"Despite the language of the policy, the NFL previously has said (including last Sunday, after Norman said what he said) that players are fined for criticizing officials only if they question their integrity. That didn’t happen in Norman’s case, but that didn’t stop the Commissioner from implementing the plain language of a rule that, if strictly applied, allows the fine to be imposed.

Since it will be the Commissioner or someone he designates who will hear the appeal, it likely will be hard to get the hearing officer to exonerate Norman based on the reality that the league has said on the record that rule is only invoked if the criticism from a player crosses into suggestions of, for example, rigging the game, betting on the game, or otherwise making bad calls based not on incompetence but corruption. Ultimately, this specific punishment falls squarely into the “we’ll do what we want” bucket, and in this case the Commissioner wanted to fine Norman — even if other players who have criticized officials haven’t been fined."

This fine seems especially hypocritical when you realize that the league has basically admitted the officials did a terrible job by shelling out fines for Bengals players from that game on personal fouls that didn't get called.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 7:10 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Totally wrong on Kelly, the dude had a hold of his foot for 5 seconds after the play was over.  And look no every ref has bias against us, look who threw the fag.  But that FJ I believe the same ref who threw  most of the flags against Norman.  Yet he misses a hands to the face on Packman and then calls a BS PI on the same play against Garcon?  Seriously?  You believe what you want to believe, but I have seen way too many calls go against us in the past to think "its only a bad call" by certain refs against us.

It sucks, and it's unfair, but it looks like Josh Norman is going to have to deal with this now for the rest of his career. When he said what he said about Goodell this offseason, it was over. Goodell is a petty little man.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 3:09 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm sure you are right, but as a fan of the Redskins, it has felt like a conspiracy on a multitude of occasions in multiple games.  This team gets some of the ticky-tackiest calls against them, especially in critical situations.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I'm sure you are right, but as a fan of the Redskins, it has felt like a conspiracy on a multitude of occasions in multiple games.  This team gets some of the ticky-tackiest calls against them, especially in critical situations.

Eagles had some rough calls today in big situations. Clear roughing the kicker, hands on the helmet of Wentz on 3rd 10 final drive. It happens.