Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I made a latin inspired marinated and seared flank steak and homemade cheese fondu yesterday.

marinade: 3 limes, two clices garlic, olive oil, equal parts; salt, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin. 

I put cross slices on the flank steak then into a ziploc bag for two hours. 

Overall it was pretty good, I liked the steak best. But I need to work on my cheese dip recipe.

• Like 3

Ok folks, I’m seriously about to buy a mini fridge and start dry aging beef. 

So far I’ve been able to determine that the rib cut that provides goid protection is the 109A cut. Anyone know what other cuts are good for aging? I want to make sure it has plenty of protection (fat, trimmable areas) so I don’t lose as much actual product.

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

So far I’ve been able to determine that the rib cut that provides goid protection is the 109A cut. Anyone know what other cuts are good for aging? I want to make sure it has plenty of protection (fat, trimmable areas) so I don’t lose as much actual product.

Im not sure you are going to get the humidity levels you are interested in with a mini fridge.

I also think there are much more relevant variables that go into the tastiness of a steak besides the moisture content.  Work on those instead, save yourself some time and money

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Im not sure you are going to get the humidity levels you are interested in with a mini fridge.

I also think there are much more relevant variables that go into the tastiness of a steak besides the moisture content.  Work on those instead, save yourself some time and money

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

What made you decide you want to do that at home?

@zoony humidity levels and other variables addressed here.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Because the money you save on aging your own 45 day ribeyes and NY strips is insane. Everyone talks about loss during aging but it’s about the protective fat that is cut off. The meat doesn’t shrink during aging or else it would pull off the bone.

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Be careful doing that can ruin some good beef, or even worse make yourself sick.  

Edited by HOF44

Aparently a 45 day aging makes a BIG difference. I also like his sous vide idea with it.

9 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Be careful doing that can ruin some good beef, or even worse make yourself sick.  

I just finished an hour long discussion with a 6th gen Texas cattle rancher and meat supplier about this. He said this is easy, it all about getting cuts of meat that are pre-trimmed.

Just need a fridge with wire racks.

38984869334_625d699975_b.jpg

A desk fan, a small slit in the seal for the cord. The fan promotes air circulation.

39662566432_fefa5ffe93_z.jpg

Wrap in cheese cloth for the first week, changing every couple days, catching drippings until it stops. After that it’s fine to leave unwrapped. 

When done, it should only need about 1cm trimmed off in order to get to the cookable meat. 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

I remember through my daughter's HS years when she was a vegetarian. I felt like a short order cook at times.

Spaghetti sauce with meat cooked on the side, lots of veggies dishes. When she was pregnant, she got cravings for bacon, and she stopped being vegetarian. 

There's something about bacon....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I remember through my daughter's HS years when she was a vegetarian. I felt like a short order cook at times.

Spaghetti sauce with meat cooked on the side, lots of veggies dishes. When she was pregnant, she got cravings for bacon, and she stopped being vegetarian. 

There's something about bacon....

Bacon is the balm of Gilead! (Ironic that I just compared bacon to a Biblical quote.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If my daughter gets to HS and becomes a vegan, she can cook her own ****ing meals.  :)

I went vegan for 2 months on a bet.  Not doing it again. 

Agreed, I cook ONE meal, if you want something else help your self.

As for vegan, well I’m sure there are some lawn clippings left.

• Haha 3

Buffalo chicken thighs! I know these don’t look like much but they are delish! Fam gave 4 thumbs up and devoured them all.

3lbs chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed.

Toss in spiced four (1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon each paprika, cayanne pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt), dab lightly in peanut oil, then arrange on cookie sheets with space between. Sprinkle lightly with oil.

Bake 425 for 20 min...flip...20 more minutes.

Toss carefully in sauce (1/2 cup Frank’s + 1/2 cup butter) warm medium heat and whisk together.

Scrape and drain pans of extra grease.

Place thighs back on sheets,

broil 5 min...flip...recoat if necessary...broil 5 min.

Serve with celery and blue cheese.

39006258864_13ae64b7af_b.jpg

27936481059_448249ebae_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Anyone have any weird aversions to certain mixed flavors? For instance, I'm not a fan of garlic flavor on pork. And I don't mix seafood and cheese. Ever. 

You're missing out on seafood lasagna. I've never made it, but probably couldn't get close to the yumgasmic version at Sundae Cafe on Tybee Island. It's amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottom round roast today, think I will make it on Sunday, pot roast. Have potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions. Since my pressure cooker is packed, will braise in the oven. I have some red wine I want to use up too. 

A low and slow braise. The roast is about 2.5 Ibs. Perfect for one!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2