Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Ok it shouldn’t need to be said but if ya’ll don’t post pics of Turkey Day food then I’ll petition the mods to shut this thread down.

Tomorrow’s menu:

16lbs smoked turkey

Honey glazed spiral sliced ham on bone

Green bean casserole 

Deviled Eggs

Mashed potatoes

Stuffing (dry)

Cranberry sauce

Homemade pumpkin pie (daughter)

Homemade peanut butter pie (daughter)

• Like 5

I went & picked up my stuff from Boston Market, turkey dinner for 5 with 2 large sides of sweet potato casserole, mac n cheese, green beans, and candied apples, cornbread and 2 big bowls of gravy.  Then I went to Kroger (holy cow...and there was a wreck at the absolute worst intersection which backs up traffic for miles in every direction  :hitfan:) and got the stuff for deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, stuffing, fried corn and broccoli/cheese casserole. 

I better not need to get near my stove for another week. :ols:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Oooh, deviled eggs! I might make a couple. I need to make some hard eggs anyway. I steam mine.

My wife makes some good deviled eggs, bout the only thing good she cooks besides Italian cream cheese cake.

3 dozen scheduled

• Like 3

Made butternut squash bisque for my contribution to the feast at the in-laws. 

Roast cubed peeled squash, a few smashed garlic cloves, 2 diced medium onions, a few carrots, salt, white pepper, turmeric, paprika, smothered in oil until everything is soft.  Then into the blender with a couple quarts of chicken stock until smooth.  

On the subject of cookbooks, I tend to just look for techniques and food-spice combinations that I can put together in interesting ways myself vs. following a recipe.  

• Like 4

Cranking out three pumpkin pies from scratch, including one gluten free one. Then throwing some dip together as our contributions. 

15 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Oooh, deviled eggs! I might make a couple. I need to make some hard eggs anyway. I steam mine.

What's your timing on steaming them?

• Like 1

My mom always hosts Tgiving and I do the cooking. My itinerary:

Head to Sterling at 12

stick turkey in over at 12:05

Turn on nfl pregame show 12:06

Obsess over fantasy lineup 12:07-1:00

Start drinking first bottle of wine at 1:00

sharpen every knife in house

chop stuff 

make a rack of deviled eggs

roast beets for salad

demolish large plate of chees and crackers

open second bottle of wine

assign responsibly for my 2 year old to 7 year old niece. 

boil potatoes for mashing

argue with wetern PA cousin why Trump sucks and Fox News is actually the fake news. Assert dominance

Roast squash and bake stuffing

pull bird to rest

open third bottle of wine

explain to my mom that it is “for dinner”

drink entire bottle

set table for dinner (with 4th bottle, placed at my end of the table)

carve bird

make gravy

Eat!

Make grandma do the dishes

Make wife drive home

Watch WVU basterball game

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Going to my wife’s parents house.  They’re going to grill oysters this afternoon.

For dinner we’re having:

- butternut squash bisque and sippets first course

- ?

- mashed potatoes ? 

- green bean casserole ? 

making two pumpkin pies out of the cushaw purée I made several weeks ago too.

I was in charge of the turkey this year.  I brined it in buttermilk.

• Like 3

I'm thinking of taking some puff pastry and making small turkey packets, some have corn, some have green beans, all have stuffing and gravy.  Just thinking about the work this entails. But I can freeze them after baking for lunches.

My new electric can opener works great.  The old one that I had for about 30 years died last week. I bet the new one doesn't last that long.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

• 2 weeks later...

Baked a tilapia in Old Bay and ground pepper, with mashed potatoes, lima beans and our signature garlic bread knots from work.

With the snow, it was good to know I didn't have to hit a grocery store on the way home from work.  There were things we would have liked to have had, but the hell with it.  We can make do.

• Like 2

If you really like rice and eat it a lot, buy a rice steamer. No burning. If you get one that has a couple of levels, you can steam fish or shrimp or chicken along with you rice.

I use mine for hard boiled eggs too. Or to steam crab legs and lobster.

Edited to add: these things have a timer, really foolproof. They usually come with a guide for cooking times, amounts, etc.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

• 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit late, but we did Thanksgiving in the cash parking at FedEx:

Photo_20171123_1.jpg

Photo_20171123_2.jpg

Photo_20171123_6.jpg

Photo_20171123_7.jpg

Photo_20171123_8.jpg

Photo_20171123_12.jpg

Photo_20171123_17.jpg

Photo_20171123_18.jpg

First time deep frying a turkey.  Injected with a garlic-herb butter the day before, it turned out AWESOME.  Tender, juicy, crispy skin in just about an hour.  Had 10 lbs of mashed potatoes from scratch in a crock pot, two platters of sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, grilled rolls and Hawaiian rolls.  It went about as well as could be expected for doing Thanksgiving in a field before a football game!  Two TVs to watch the early games, a propane heater and a firepit.  Glad we had the chance to do this...

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 4