Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...

Cold day = dutch oven day!!

A labor of love for my family! Slow cooked (5 hours) pork shoulder with onions, peppers, ****take mushrooms, garlic, 1 can of Sam Adams beer, chicken stock, seasoned with bay leaves, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Then seven bean mixture from our local Amish store, cooked for two hours in the broth from the pork shoulder. Result...the perfect comfort food to warm a body on a cold day! (7.5 hours total cook/prep time)

38668926005_065e207ace_b.jpg

Beans done and pork pulled and added back in. Beans cooked for 2 hours.

24697326657_26851894cb_b.jpg

Pork finished 5 hours: (I pulled the meat out, then added the beans and more chicken stock)

27788643809_bbff8308f2_b.jpg

Going in the oven (7 qt cast iron)

24697328637_4efe6eda2c_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2016 at 11:51 AM, GoSkins0721 said:

Damn! That really does suck 

I have one of these - the poor man's version of the BGE. I got it about 3 years ago at a 4th of July sale at Kroger's for $149. It does a damn good job of holding temps. Probably not as well as a BGE, but I can get 10 5 of these for the price of a BGE. I've been very pleased with it. I keep it covered when not in use. A little bit of rust on the wheels but the body is fine. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-22-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

I have this too. Works great. 

Bought a tenderloin for christmas dinner, after butchering had quite a bit of good meat (chain that runs parallel to the loin)

So i decided to do a stir fry, but wanted something different.  Found this, and it was LEGIT.  Kids thought it was too spicy but seriously this is so,e of the tastiest **** ive ever put in my mouth.  I normally dont like stir fry too much because its always basically a bunch of broccoli and peppers that are soggy from too much soy sauce.  This tasted like n actual dish

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stir_fry_ginger_beef/

The ginger, serrano peppers, garlic, and cilantro gave this a nice heat with tons of flavor and a cool finish.  Nice and basic, too.  Just served it over steamed rice.  Will be making this again!  

Ive been cooking a lot of asian recently and its cool to see completely different and original flavor profiles that are a total change from western ingredients and seasoning

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zoony said:

Bought a tenderloin for christmas dinner, after butchering had quite a bit of good meat (chain that runs parallel to the loin)

So i decided to do a stir fry, but wanted something different.  Found this, and it was LEGIT.  Kids thought it was too spicy but seriously this is so,e of the tastiest **** ive ever put in my mouth.  I normally dont like stir fry too much because its always basically a bunch of broccoli and peppers that are soggy from too much soy sauce.  This tasted like n actual dish

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stir_fry_ginger_beef/

The ginger, serrano peppers, garlic, and cilantro gave this a nice heat with tons of flavor and a cool finish.  Nice and basic, too.  Just served it over steamed rice.  Will be making this again!  

Ive been cooking a lot of asian recently and its cool to see completely different and original flavor profiles that are a total change from western ingredients and seasoning

Sounds like you've been eating at the wrong Asian restaurants. It's not like this in the good places and most definitely not in the parts of Asia I've visited.

For home cooking, putting a wok directly on hot coals is the only way to get it hot enough to get Asian stir-fry recipes to come out reasonably well. If you do it on the stovetop, the results can be OK, but it's more of a braised dish than true stir-fry.

I cook asian more than any other type of food. Been doing a lot of thai lately, which that recipe sounds like with the cilantro. Healthy and tasty. Try leaving stinky veggies like broccoli and green peppers out of stir fry (unless you're going to do like Sisko said and heat the wok to insane temps).  I'll use smelly healthy stuff for curry, because the curry flavor stands up it, but not so much stir fry.  For stir fry, stick with red peppers and cook the veggies (onions, mushrooms, squash, carrots, etc) separate from the meat, then put it all together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas even though I like making fun of people with Instant Pots.

The results are fairly amazing so far.

Welcome to the dark side. 

The thing that annoys me about the instant pot “community” is that they cook EVERYTHING in it....EVERYTHING!

The best thing I read was a cookbook intro, that asked the simple question, “Does it need to be cooked in an instant-pot?” It’s a great tool for sure, but it’s not for everything, AND it has limitations.

17 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Sounds like you've been eating at the wrong Asian restaurants. It's not like this in the good places and most definitely not in the parts of Asia I've visited.

For home cooking, putting a wok directly on hot coals is the only way to get it hot enough to get Asian stir-fry recipes to come out reasonably well. If you do it on the stovetop, the results can be OK, but it's more of a braised dish than true stir-fry.

I agree with this.  Stir fry doesn't come out right unless you get your wok to where it is basically glowing red.  I fill up a charcoal chimney, light it up, get all of those coals hot and burned down a bit, then refill the chimney with new coals on top of the lit coals.  Then, rather than dumping the coals out and cooking on them, I cook directly on top of the chimney, which is basically a jet engine at this point.  

• Thanks 1

Allright ****ers, ive been to hong kong more times than you all have been out of your home state.  I assure you i am eating at the correct aisian restaurants

What i was referring to was diy stir fry recipes, and when people you know make "stir fry" and invite you over for dinner

You must go to the really ****ty, non-stir fry making parts of Hong Kong.  :ols:

At home, doing stir fry on your weak-ass electric stove top is an amateur move.  You want to do it on an angry inferno that looks like a portal to hell.  Like this ****ing thing. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I was reading that there is a gene some people have that makes it taste like dish soap (does it to you?).  I'm glad I don't have it.  :D

I read the same thing. Except in my case, cilantro is delicious and avocado tastes like soap. 

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas even though I like making fun of people with Instant Pots.

The results are fairly amazing so far.

I googled it and it's just a stupid pressure cooker.:angry: I was expecting, 'er, ah, quick delivery of....something else. :)

27 minutes ago, zoony said:

Allright ****ers, ive been to hong kong more times than you all have been out of your home state.  I assure you i am eating at the correct aisian restaurants

What i was referring to was diy stir fry recipes, and when people you know make "stir fry" and invite you over for dinner

Just givin' ya the business.

tumblr_movv7zA1Te1r9p0joo1_250.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Welcome to the dark side. 

The thing that annoys me about the instant pot “community” is that they cook EVERYTHING in it....EVERYTHING!

The best thing I read was a cookbook intro, that asked the simple question, “Does it need to be cooked in an instant-pot?” It’s a great tool for sure, but it’s not for everything, AND it has limitations.

I did make steaks in it just to see what happened. They were pretty good actually.

I don't see me using it more than three times a week. Some things need pots and flame and such.

• Like 1

I didn't take a picture, dinner was delicious! 

Using a thicker, firmer fish allows for extended marinating so the flavor goes all the way through. I also included dried basil leaves.

So good with basmati rice. I cooked the fish in some of the marinade and poured it over fish and rice. 

No oils, just the coconut cream and the fish sauce, which is a little greasy.

No measuring of the ingredients, enough to cover the fish.

Yum yum!  

• Like 1