Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 2/6/2018 at 12:07 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

All of the recipes in the app are similar to the above.

Step 1:  Collect your stuff.

Step 2:  Throw it all in a bag.

etc. 

That app is awesome!! Still haven’t gotten to work with mine yet.

Remade the rotisserie chicken and stuffed hasselbeck potatoes again.

28364150389_9dccd4ea1e_b.jpg

Potatoes turned out perfect.

39432486814_b5abdb53c9_b.jpg

Experiementing with a new trussing technique from Chef Steps.

28364152969_2a9df2fdf9_b.jpg

25272407317_ab20d5930c_b.jpg

25272407257_714ca63f01_b.jpg

• Like 3

@AsburySkinsFan , 

I have been using this roasted chicken recipe for over 10 years. 

Love, love, love it. It is really simple... I was thrown of by the ingredients initially, but once I made it...sold. 

Oh...they have a video now as well. Hmm. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/70679/simple-whole-roasted-chicken/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 4

• Like 1

Yeah, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, threw me off at first. 

The thing I love about this chicken recipe the most is that it is a nice crispy chicken skin, with a juicy, flavorful chicken throughout. 

I have made it without the 24 hour suggestion and it is almost as good.  

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Next up is probably going to be an authentic white fish ceviche with seasame crusted tuna steak.

Fine line cooking Tuna... Easiest to pan sear. 

Cooks fast and ruins easily. 

I need more info about that ceviche. I'm typically not a fan because they lack any robust flavor. 

10 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Fine line cooking Tuna... Easiest to pan sear. 

Cooks fast and ruins easily. 

I need more info about that ceviche. I'm typically not a fan because they lack any robust flavor. 

Pan searcon the tuna is the plan, just enough to sear the outsides and toast the seasame, the tuna steaks are 1”+ thick and my goal is a rare center.

I’ll post the ceviche recipe when I’m done, going back and forth on a couple, but it is going to be one where the citrus juice cooks the white fish, no heat application. 

Not that stuff that is basically a cooked shrimp, tomato, onion, and avacodo salad in lime juice. As tasty as that may be, it’s not REAL ceviche.

I'm sure you have a cast iron pan. 

Heat it up... makes all the difference in the world when trying to cook tuna properly. 

Hot pan, rested and seasoned tuna... should only take a few minutes to get it right. 

You want to cook it further...set the oven to broil and watch it carefully. 

Once it is overcooked... it's terrible. With other proteins you can get away with it. 

Tuna is not very forgiving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm far from a grill master or cook, more like an amateur, but I just grilled up come chicken tenders. Came out nice. Seasoned with olive oil, garlic salt, and thyme. 

I'm trying to learn. Living alone doesn't allow me many opportunities, but that's just an excuse.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I'm far from a grill master or cook, more like an amateur, but I just grilled up come chicken tenders. Came out nice. Seasoned with olive oil, garlic salt, and thyme. 

I'm trying to learn. Living alone doesn't allow me many opportunities, but that's just an excuse.

Chicken tenders are deceptively hard, they are VERY easy to overcook. If you made some that came out well then good for you!

For the record: living alone IS your opportunity to learn to cook. I wish I started way back then. I cook first and foremost for myself, if everyone else likes it that’s awesome. The resources available to you through youtube alone are staggering.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

I cook for myself every day. Last night I made some pasta sauce with Italian sausage. Some loose sausage, a can of diced tomatoes, basil leaves, oregano, and minced garlic. Super easy and enough for five meals, four went into the freezer.

Today I am going to make some clam chowder. A package of Simply Potatoes diced potatoes with onions cooked in water and the canned clam liquid to cover until very tender with some thyme, crumbled cooked bacon, a small can of chopped clams, and some cream. I don't drain the water from cooking the potatoes. Also, cooking the potatoes until very tender results in some of the potatoes disintegrating thus thickening the chowder without using flour.  Cooking low and slow takes hours. I make small batches because it doesn't freeze well.

Fresh authentic ceviche! Made with Alaskan cod, fresh squeezed lime juice (with a splash of lemon), madoline sliced red onions and jalapeños, fresh chopped cilantro, topped with fresh avocado.

I’ve made ceviche with cooked shrimp before but this is the first time I have ever made with and let the juice “cook” the fish. Dice the cod into nickle sized cubes and submerge in the lime juice for about 25 minutes. Then mix the tomatoes, jalapeños, oinions and cilatro in to taste. Spoon out into a bowl and leave a little juice in the bowl. Enjoy on torilla chips

40159859751_4e555521ce_b.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Looks great! For the Peruvian version, add some small kernal fresh roasted corn. 

I have to admit that I was very warry of making real ceviche from raw fish with no cooking. But within 25 minutes or so the fish was firm and tasty. You can see the difference as it “cooks” in the lime juice. My wife wouldn’t eat it though. LoL!!! My daughter loved it, but my son turned his nose up at it...oh well more for me!!! 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Put that bowl of beautiful stuff on a platter with multi colored chips around it.

Then pass it this way. :ols:

Oddly enough I think when I make it next time I’ll leave out the avocados. Never a big fan of them, and the lime juice breaks them diwn mushier than they already are.

Visually, ceviche is gorgeous.

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Put that bowl of beautiful stuff on a platter with multi colored chips around it.

Then pass it this way. :ols:

Oddly enough I think when I make it next time I’ll leave out the avocados. Never a big fan of them, and the lime juice breaks them diwn mushier than they already are.

Visually, ceviche is gorgeous.

• Like 1

Anyone making Korean food for the Olympics?  I kind of want to do bibimbap because I've got some dank rice I've been saving for a special occasion.  But I haven't decided what to put in it yet.  I'm think mushrooms and spinach but haven't decided beyond that.  What other vegetables should I cook?  What meat should I do and how should I make it?

Got a new Masterbuilt electric smoker the other day and tried my hand at homemade pastrami to christen it ;).  Came out so much better than I could have hoped for.  Just wonderful.  Cheated a little by using a store bought corned beef (brisket point) instead of curing my own, probably try that next time although I couldn't imagine it coming any better.  Moist, fork tender and wonderful flavor. 

MVIMG_20180216_062232.jpg

MVIMG_20180217_093207.jpg

MVIMG_20180217_122918.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oddly enough I think when I make it next time I’ll leave out the avocados. Never a big fan of them, and the lime juice breaks them down mushier than they already are.

Agree. I simply have never liked avocado. I don't hate it...but if I can do without it, it always seems a little better. 

My wife loves avocado. I can work with it. I know the flavor profile, I just don't think it adds much to anything. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Got a new Masterbuilt electric smoker the other day and tried my hand at homemade pastrami to christen it ;).  Came out so much better than I could have hoped for.  Just wonderful.  Cheated a little by using a store bought corned beef (brisket point) instead of curing my own, probably try that next time although I couldn't imagine it coming any better.  Moist, fork tender and wonderful flavor. 

Looks great!!! Pastrami in this area is seriously under rated, but one of my favorites.

• Like 2