Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

44 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh and I just ordered my charcoal basket from ABCbarbeque and a hinged grate from amazon. Now the only question is, brisket or pork butt first?

Go with a pork butt.  Much more forgiving while getting used to your setup.  

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m tempted to agree, but the thought of 12 hour brisket is TEMPTING!!!!

Get used to the way the smoker works before you pay for a brisket and risk drying it out.  A tip for the Kettle is to put a few binder clips around the outside.  Gives you a good seal.

8 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Get used to the way the smoker works before you pay for a brisket and risk drying it out.  A tip for the Kettle is to put a few binder clips around the outside.  Gives you a good seal.

Trust me drying out 39 bucks of meat due to temp fluctuations from your new grill sucks

On 5/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

Just ordered this cheapie cabinet smoker from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGO1890BDC-D-Vertical-Offset-Charcoal/dp/B010759GGQ/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526075629&sr=sr-1&keywords=dyna+glo+smoker+wide

Looks like it could fit maybe 8-10 racks of baby backs.  Gonna try it out next week, after sealing it up with silicon and the high temp gasket.   I actually wanted to go with a "real" cabinet smoker, like the ones you can get here https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/grills-smokers/cabinet-smokers but those are pricey (like $2000), and take 8 weeks to build and I don't have that much patience. 

Update: I tried this smoker last Friday.  It has 6 grates and easily fits 12 racks of baby backs, which I made for a little after work happy hour.   It eats charcoal like a beast and the built in thermometer is worthless (even after calibrating), but if you want to smoke ribs (or anything else I guess) in quantity, on the cheap, I don't know of a better way.

When I see a Washintonian list like that I wonder what places they went to that they picked those 13.  I'd like to see the list to know if there are some hole in the wall joints that maybe they missed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I went to Myron Mixon's place, had the brisket and wasn't impressed. I liked the Mission BBQ on Telegraph Road much better.

I’ve seen a lot of bad brisket, there’s only been a couple restaurants who serve something worth eating IMO. Most of the times it’s a well done and dried out steak. I’m guessing they rush the cook, but I’m usually disappointed with brisket at BBQ joints.

Yeah, it tasted like yesterday's meat, dried out and way overcooked like warmed up in the microwave. 

When I have gone to Mission, there is always a bunch of customers there and the food is fresh and hot. I have eaten at the place, too much hardscape so it's pretty noisy, and also to go. It's about fifteen minutes away from my house and the food is still pretty warm when I get home. Yum!

• Sad 1

On 5/22/2018 at 5:21 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Binder clips?

What do you mean?

Also don't know if you have one or not, but I've found a must for smoking is a 2 probe thermometer.  One probe reads the cooking temp in your smoker, the other you insert in the meat you're cooking for a temp to cook to.  You have to know your internal cooking temp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Also don't know if you have one or not, but I've found a must for smoking is a 2 probe thermometer.  One probe reads the cooking temp in your smoker, the other you insert in the meat you're cooking for a temp to cook to.  You have to know your internal cooking temp.

Yessir! I have an interal therm, I am getting an ambient probe.

• Like 2

You got the fancy new one with the grate in the bottom!!! Nice, now cook some stuff up, with pics of course! Also if you really want to cook a good steak put all the charcoal in that and get it screaming hot, then sear and slow cook on the other side, or a reverse sear whatever floats your boat.  

Edited by HOF44
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve seen a lot of bad brisket, there’s only been a couple restaurants who serve something worth eating IMO. Most of the times it’s a well done and dried out steak. I’m guessing they rush the cook, but I’m usually disappointed with brisket at BBQ joints.

I used to like the one at Urban Bar b Que a lot.  I think it didn't taste the same the last couple times I had it though, so maybe they changed cooks or the recipe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, visionary said:

I used to like the one at Urban Bar b Que a lot.  I think it didn't taste the same the last couple times I had it though, so maybe they changed cooks or the recipe.

Changing recipes can kill a restaurant. 

A place I absolutely love had a potato salad made with sour cream and made the flavor badass. They changed it, and what they serve now is what I can buy in a grocery store. ?

18 hours ago, visionary said:

It’s frustrating when that happens, the worst part is that it usually happens as a result of a cost analysis. So they find they can save a few bucks a week if they go with this new recipe or cook the brisket hotter for a shorter cook. Yes, restaurants are businesses with low margins but if you want to stay in business then the decisions should be based as much on the food as the bank. The truly frustrating thing is that apparently there is a large portion of society that eats without tasting their food. Which is why Red State BBQ here in the Lexington area has three locations. I wouldn’t feed that crap to my dog, and no, I’m not just being a BBQ snob. The “double smoked brisket” was cubes of gray tough flavorless meat, the pulled pork was dry and flavorless, and the smoked chicken was sawdust. I am convinced to this day that the meat serves only as a vehicle for sauce delivery...which you NEED!! I hear people rave about Red States’ sauces and my simple reply is, “If you need sauce then the BBQ wasn’t that good.”

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

, “If you need sauce then the BBQ wasn’t that good.”

Nothing truer than this.  Sometimes I just use a dry rub no sauce.  To strong a sauce can even ruin good BBQ.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1