Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@Chinarecipe links?

:ols:

Recipes?  Um, no.  Just out from my brain.  No measurements.

The dill sauce is just lemon juice, dill and sour cream.  I also pre-basted the salmon with lemon juice and added salt and pepper.  Cooked it about halfway and then coated with the sour cream mixture.  (Edit:  I suppose if you wanted it to look nice for presentation sake you could put slices of lemon on top and a sprig of dill, but I didn't do that)

For the broccoli I par-cooked it (steamed) so it cooks all the way through without getting  burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.  Then I brush it with olive oil and dredge it in a mixture of parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt.  Then roast it in the oven till nicely browned crust.

Edited by China
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've done braised short ribs a few times in the last year.  They are wonderful, juicy, fatty, crispy, tender goodness.  Marinate overnight in soy/sugar/garlic/sesame oil then dutch oven into the oven.  250 till they reach 195.  Can't leave your probe in while braising tho, learned that lesson the hard way.  Probably seems obvious to everyone else, lol.  :)

My first stab at beef ribs. I bought them from a butcher, last summer, when I was visiting my folks in Va Beach. Smoked them at ~ 240° on the Weber kettle and SnS with a couple small chunks of sugar maple. I'm resting them in a cooler for now. Smoked some beans too. 

The last pic is some chard that I cooked on the gasser yesterday, also a first. It came out great!

20180617_080438.jpg

20180617_140751.jpg

20180617_141320.jpg

20180615_184604.jpg

• Like 3

So can I ask this question here, even though it's not in regards to what I actually grilled?

I am just wondering - what makes Weber grills so much better than other grills?

I've only ever owned one grille.  It was a $500ish Lowes brand one that I got for $88 due to a slick deal years back.  I've used it extensively over the past 5+ years and it's completely bit the dust.  I went to clean it and the burners are like split open, the bottom of the inside part has corroded away, so I can't just replace parts.  So I'm in the market for a new grill.

The one I had was a 5 burner one and I measured the area and it's 576 sq inches.  I assumed that I would need an equivalent burner number to get the same area and saw the Weber grills were over the $1k price range for that size.

But then I started reading specs and see that the 4 burner Weber Genesis is way larger than what I own now, and the 3 burner Spirit one is like 425 sq inches.  The 3 burner Genesis is 513 sq inches.

The 4 burner Genesis is $899.
The 3 burner Genesis is $699.
The 3 burner Spirit is $499.

Then I see these other grills that are 5 burner and start at $199 up to like $299 and they have great reviews generally speaking.

So my question is - what is it that is so much better about Weber than the other ones?  Everyone says to pony up and just get a Weber but I really don't understand why it's better.  I know they have a 10 year warranty on all parts, but is that what makes them so much better?  If you do need replacement parts, is it a piece of cake to actually get them?  Or is it a process?

I also realize that most of the time I cook for my wife and I so I don't really NEED a huge ass grill.  Usually when I would cook I didn't even turn on all the burners so I wasn't using all of them.  But when I do have a party or something, it's nice to have that space for sure.  So I'm also debating what size I wanted to get at this point too.

I also am only really cooking chicken or pork on the grille, with the occasional burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.  I rarely cook steak or fish on there or anything fancy at all.

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

So can I ask this question here, even though it's not in regards to what I actually grilled?

I am just wondering - what makes Weber grills so much better than other grills?

I've only ever owned one grille.  It was a $500ish Lowes brand one that I got for $88 due to a slick deal years back.  I've used it extensively over the past 5+ years and it's completely bit the dust.  I went to clean it and the burners are like split open, the bottom of the inside part has corroded away, so I can't just replace parts.  So I'm in the market for a new grill.

The one I had was a 5 burner one and I measured the area and it's 576 sq inches.  I assumed that I would need an equivalent burner number to get the same area and saw the Weber grills were over the $1k price range for that size.

But then I started reading specs and see that the 4 burner Weber Genesis is way larger than what I own now, and the 3 burner Spirit one is like 425 sq inches.  The 3 burner Genesis is 513 sq inches.

The 4 burner Genesis is $899.
The 3 burner Genesis is $699.
The 3 burner Spirit is $499.

Then I see these other grills that are 5 burner and start at $199 up to like $299 and they have great reviews generally speaking.

So my question is - what is it that is so much better about Weber than the other ones?  Everyone says to pony up and just get a Weber but I really don't understand why it's better.  I know they have a 10 year warranty on all parts, but is that what makes them so much better?  If you do need replacement parts, is it a piece of cake to actually get them?  Or is it a process?

I also realize that most of the time I cook for my wife and I so I don't really NEED a huge ass grill.  Usually when I would cook I didn't even turn on all the burners so I wasn't using all of them.  But when I do have a party or something, it's nice to have that space for sure.  So I'm also debating what size I wanted to get at this point too.

I also am only really cooking chicken or pork on the grille, with the occasional burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.  I rarely cook steak or fish on there or anything fancy at all.

As far as grills go, you get what you pay for.  They use quality materials, and last a long time. I own a bunch of Weber kettles, and 2 gassers. My oldest kettle is 34 years old and is still going strong.

My Genesis, (pictured below), is 17 years old. I've replaced the flavorizer bars, the crossover ignition and the grates. The parts are easy to get.  

You can't go wrong with any of those models. Even if you don't get a Weber,  at least a 3-burner because, as you start to use it, you'll find that you end up grilling indirect most of the time.

20180526_133956.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

As far as grills go, you get what you pay for.  They use quality materials, and last a long time. I own a bunch of Weber kettles, and 2 gassers. My oldest kettle is 34 years old and is still going strong.

My Genesis, (pictured below), is 17 years old. I've replaced the flavorizer bars, the crossover ignition and the grates. The parts are easy to get.  

You can't go wrong with any of those models. Even if you don't get a Weber,  at least a 3-burner because, as you start to use it, you'll find that you end up grilling indirect most of the time.

20180526_133956.jpg

Yeah I would definitely be getting at least a 3 burner.  It looks like if I do get a Weber I will be getting either the 3 burner Spirit or Genesis model.  I just need to figure out why exactly the Genesis is $200 more in that size.  I know it has more grilling space but I'm also wondering what else it has that is different.

So it just seems in general from my research that Weber is basically for durability.  Which is good for sure since it's going to be outside all the time.

When you replaced those parts, was it under the 10 year warranty period and did they give you the new parts for free?

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I would definitely be getting at least a 3 burner.  It looks like if I do get a Weber I will be getting either the 3 burner Spirit or Genesis model.  I just need to figure out why exactly the Genesis is $200 more in that size.  I know it has more grilling space but I'm also wondering what else it has that is different.

So it just seems in general from my research that Weber is basically for durability.  Which is good for sure since it's going to be outside all the time.

When you replaced those parts, was it under the 10 year warranty period and did they give you the new parts for free?

I don't know the difference between those models.  In addition to durability,  they're designed very well and are great to cook with. Between the high quality burners, and cleverly shaped flavor bars, the heat dispersion, is spot-on, and makes grilling easier.

When I replaced the parts, the grill was 15 years old, and those  parts were no longer under warranty.

Weber's are rock-solid, IMHO. 

• Like 2

Well I ended up getting the Weber Genesis II E-310 last night at Home Depot after being able to price match it to Walmart and bring the price down $150, which was only $50 more than I almost bought the Spirit II for 2 days ago.  So I'm glad I waited and found a better deal on the next model up since I think the extra space as well as the durability/quality of it was worth the extra $50.  I compared the two side by side again yesterday and the Genesis is noticeably heavier/thicker than the Spirit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Well I ended up getting the Weber Genesis II E-310 last night at Home Depot after being able to price match it to Walmart and bring the price down $150, which was only $50 more than I almost bought the Spirit II for 2 days ago.  So I'm glad I waited and found a better deal on the next model up since I think the extra space as well as the durability/quality of it was worth the extra $50.  I compared the two side by side again yesterday and the Genesis is noticeably heavier/thicker than the Spirit.

I bought the 4 burner back in March after I got my bonus.  I think even beyond the fact that they are made really well is that they cook really well.  I've had numerous $200 gas grills in the past, where I'm playing around with the food all the time because of flare ups and hot spots vs. cool spots.  My Weber cooks evenly front to back, side to side.  I feel confident getting the grill to the proper temp, placing the food down and closing the lid.  That's something I never felt so hot about with my cheaper grill.  I'd recommend getting a cover for it.  Don't fall for the trap and buy it at HD or whatever though, they can be had for much cheaper on Amazon and Ebay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I bought the 4 burner back in March after I got my bonus.  I think even beyond the fact that they are made really well is that they cook really well.  I've had numerous $200 gas grills in the past, where I'm playing around with the food all the time because of flare ups and hot spots vs. cool spots.  My Weber cooks evenly front to back, side to side.  I feel confident getting the grill to the proper temp, placing the food down and closing the lid.  That's something I never felt so hot about with my cheaper grill.  I'd recommend getting a cover for it.  Don't fall for the trap and buy it at HD or whatever though, they can be had for much cheaper on Amazon and Ebay.

Yeah I am going to get a cover for it.  From what I've been reading the Weber covers now a days are crap though - very thin and flimsy.  I have an Amazon Basic cover that I bought that is tan/brown because it matches my patio better, but I'd be willing to get a better cover if it means better protection.  I haven't actually opened my Amazon Basic one yet though as it was for my old grill, but once I went to clean my old grill I realized it was not salvageable.

And I am anxious to try grilling with the new one.  I know what you mean about hot spots and flare ups, especially towards the end of my old grill.  And I would constantly have to lift the top every minute or two when cooking chicken to make sure nothing caught on fire or was burning too much, so it'll be nice to not have to do that.  I got home from HD last night around 9pm and was going to start building it in my garage, but damn it was still hot outside so I said screw that.  I may start on it today though.

That 4 burner Genesis is a monster!  I saw it at HD and was like damn this thing is a tank!  It's SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the 5 burner one I am replacing now.  But for me that is just overkill for the most part and I couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on it.  90% of the time I'm grilling for my wife and myself for dinner, and I'm sure as my son gets older I'll be cooking more for him on there too.  The 3 burner Genesis is a tad smaller in main grill space than the one I am replacing, however I feel like I will use more space on it since I can just flip the warming rack up and hide it, giving me more unobstructed space.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that sir, looks delicious.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:53 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

My problem is that my local grocer cuts short ribs the wrong way! I think it’s for an Asian style cut, splitting the bone and thin meat on the bone. I’ve got to drive an hour to a butcher who cuts thick whole bone.

The skinny thin short ribs might be korean style.  I often make those on the indoor grill with a killer korean BBQ sauce I discovered at the store.  My local grocer cuts them both ways.