Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I know some of you guys said that you also noticed that the temperatures for steaks are like off by 10 degrees when looking online as we discussed earlier.

Is that also the case for pork? I got some thicker pork boneless cuts that I am going to try to grill tonight and definitely don't want to overcook them so I plan on using my iGrill but I'm also wondering if I should take them off earlier than the temps that you find when googling.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I know some of you guys said that you also noticed that the temperatures for steaks are like off by 10 degrees when looking online as we discussed earlier.

Is that also the case for pork? I got some thicker pork boneless cuts that I am going to try to grill tonight and definitely don't want to overcook them so I plan on using my iGrill but I'm also wondering if I should take them off earlier than the temps that you find when googling.

Trial and error, I would run it up to the recommended temp then check it, if it’s over it shouldn’t be by much, if it’s under you can go more.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I pull them off at 135° carryover takes them 140-145, which is perfect medium. At that temp, it will be cream color, with some pink and juicy.  If that freaks you out, pull at 140, but they will be slightly overdone.  Mrs Skinsfan doesn't want to see any pink, so I pull hers at 150,(and apologize to her), but she swears that they're great.  I've tried them at that temp and they're too dry for my taste.

Be careful, they cook fast, so you have to be vigilant. There's no need to use a leave-in thermometer. I use my Thermapen.  

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I pull them off at 135° carryover takes them 140-145, which is perfect medium. At that temp, it will be cream color, with some pink and juicy.  If that freaks you out, pull at 140, but they will be slightly overdone.  Mrs Skinsfan doesn't want to see any pink, so I pull hers at 150,(and apologize to her), but she swears that they're great.  I've tried them at that temp and they're too dry for my taste.

Be careful, they cook fast, so you have to be vigilant. There's no need to use a leave-in thermometer. I use my Thermapen.  

I didn't come back here before I cooked them, but that's exactly what I did.  I took them off at 135 and they kept going up.

I used the iGrill again and it worked perfectly.  One of them was probably like 1/8" thinner than the other and that one was taken off like 2 minute earlier than the thicker one since it got to temp quicker.  The pork cooked noticeably slower than the steaks I've been cooking too.  After 3 minutes the steaks were up to 90 but these were like mid/low 70s.  I believe these were also a bit thicker too which could have also had to do with it.

If I was just eye balling it I probably would have f'ed it all up lol.

• Thanks 1

Damn, I need to start keeping my phone in the kitchen when I cook to take pics  ?.this was a beautiful bone-in salmon steak, and it came out awesome! (Hubby just pulled the bones without issue, but lesson learned on that...it was like $7)...?

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, purbeast said:

I didn't come back here before I cooked them, but that's exactly what I did.  I took them off at 135 and they kept going up.

I used the iGrill again and it worked perfectly.  One of them was probably like 1/8" thinner than the other and that one was taken off like 2 minute earlier than the thicker one since it got to temp quicker.  The pork cooked noticeably slower than the steaks I've been cooking too.  After 3 minutes the steaks were up to 90 but these were like mid/low 70s.  I believe these were also a bit thicker too which could have also had to do with it.

If I was just eye balling it I probably would have f'ed it all up lol.

So..how did they turn out?

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

So..how did they turn out?

LOL oh yeah.  They turned out great.  They were very moist and juicy with a good crust on the outside.  They came in a 5 pack so I will be cooking 3 more of them again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

LOL oh yeah.  They turned out great.  They were very moist and juicy with a good crust on the outside.  They came in a 5 pack so I will be cooking 3 more of them again!

Lasies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a convert! Great job @purbeast! I love to feed my people well, sounds like you do as well. Welcome to our merry band of misfits grilling royalty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any of you all have any specific ways you like to cook ribs?  They have 2 for the price of 1 at Safeway and I'm thinking of getting 2 to grill tomorrow and I've never done it.  I was gonna just google it and take it from there lol.  I have some people coming over so if I do it I can't **** it up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Any of you all have any specific ways you like to cook ribs?  They have 2 for the price of 1 at Safeway and I'm thinking of getting 2 to grill tomorrow and I've never done it.  I was gonna just google it and take it from there lol.  I have some people coming over so if I do it I can't **** it up!

For the best ribs you gotta go low and slow.  Like 250 for 4-6 hours depending on conditions. I prefer a dark brown sugar based dry rub. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, purbeast said:

https://amazingribs.com/

There's a reason that I post this site, from time to time in this thread. Peruse it, and the majority of your questions will be answered. That, and Steve Raichlen's BBQ Bible have been my "go-to" for years.

I highly recommend joining the Amazing Ribs on-line community, :Pitmaster Club" It's $29.00 and worth every penny, and  then some. It's full of experts, tips, ideas, recipes,  techniques,  etc.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

https://amazingribs.com/

There's a reason that I post this site, from time to time in this thread. Peruse it, and the majority of your questions will be answered. That, and Steve Raichlen's BBQ Bible have been my "go-to" for years.

I highly recommend joining the Amazing Ribs on-line community, :Pitmaster Club" It's $29.00 and worth every penny, and  then some. It's full of experts, tips, ideas, recipes,  techniques,  etc.

And if Rick is spending $29 bucks on it you KNOW you're getting your monies worth!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Kirk Cousins = Ned Flanders

Just because someone is very smart or successful at one thing, doesnt mean they will understand concepts you consider basic. I feel sorry for his wife and others who have to eat what he grills. 

On aluminum foil?? Really Kirk???  Also WTF you just signed for MEGA bucks and you go with the Spirit instead of the Genesis???  Oy vay!!

• Haha 2