Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I bought a super cheap cut of chuck steak. The kind you usually would throw in the slow cooker for stew or roast.  Instead I broke out the ol' indoor grill and cooked it to medium rare after sitting in an overnight marinade.  It turned out so tasty.  I love taking advantage of cheaper cuts of meat that most people don't want to fuss with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

I usually sear 3-4 minutes a side depending on the steak. It's more to what it looks like than time.  Also if the steak is sticking to the grill when you try to flip it or look it's not been on long enough.  600-650 is about as hot as you will get a gas grill.  And yes you turn a burner or 2 off and get the temp in the grill about 400 indirect and let it cook to temp.  

Damn okay I thought 3 minutes would be too long but okay I will give it a try.  I'm going to try and get like a 1" thick cut of something today and give it a go, as long as the iGrill arrives before dinner time.

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

Damn okay I thought 3 minutes would be too long but okay I will give it a try.  I'm going to try and get like a 1" thick cut of something today and give it a go, as long as the iGrill arrives before dinner time.

1 Inch is on the thin side.  Might not take quit that long.  it's hard to give exact times.  Depends on your grill, the cut of meat, the thickness, the temp of the meat. etc.  

Edited by HOF44

3 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

1 Inch is on the thin side.  Might not take quit that long.  it's hard to give exact times.  Depends on your grill, the cut of meat, the thickness, the temp of the meat. etc.  

Ah okay.  I am thinking of just getting like a 1" t-bone or NYC or something that I see for like $10 lol.  I guess it's going to take me some trial/error to figure it out exactly.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but is it necessary to use any pam or anything similar when using a grill?

11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Ah okay.  I am thinking of just getting like a 1" t-bone or NYC or something that I see for like $10 lol.  I guess it's going to take me some trial/error to figure it out exactly.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but is it necessary to use any pam or anything similar when using a grill?

My grates are cast iron and seasoned.  I don't ever use any spray.  I'd be carful if you do as some of those sprays could be flammable around a open fire unless made for using while grilling.  

You do have to learn your grill, the only way to do it is cooking on it.  The will be hotter spots, cooler spots.  Stuff like that.  

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Trial and error when cooking is honestly the best part about this whole thing! I mean, even when it's not perfect...it ain't bad! LOL

I personally don't use pam or cooking spray on my grill, but then I don't clean it right after I finish cooking so all of those greasy bits stay on the grilling surface. Then once I get the heat back up to 500 degrees for the next grilling session I take my wire brush over all of it. The bits are gone but the oils stay. I think of it like seasoning a cast iron pan, it takes time to get it right, but the results are great. Also, cooking on a grill the meat will release itself from the grates as it cooks, this is one of the best ways to be able to tell if it's ready to flip, (obviously depending on the cut thickness).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Trial and error when cooking is honestly the best part about this whole thing! I mean, even when it's not perfect...it ain't bad! LOL

I personally don't use pam or cooking spray on my grill, but then I don't clean it right after I finish cooking so all of those greasy bits stay on the grilling surface. Then once I get the heat back up to 500 degrees for the next grilling session I take my wire brush over all of it. The bits are gone but the oils stay. I think of it like seasoning a cast iron pan, it takes time to get it right, but the results are great. Also, cooking on a grill the meat will release itself from the grates as it cooks, this is one of the best ways to be able to tell if it's ready to flip, (obviously depending on the cut thickness).

Yeah my grates are cast iron and I've been doing the same thing since that is what was recommended in the manual for it, to clean it off the next time you turn it on and get it really hot.  I've grilled every night since I put it outside on Sunday and plan on going to get some steaks to grill tonight too.  Definitely need to fill up my spare tank though!

• Thanks 1

Interesting looks like a 3 part rib eye. 

9AE35504-CB4C-48FF-963F-B496E67CF091.jpegCame if nice a juicy a little fatty like a rib eye time to taste it next. 

D7DEEC5D-7F7D-4D50-8578-0CF4D6F965CD.jpegInteresting. Great flavor.  A little tougher than a good ribeye. Not sure I’ll order these again. But happy I tried them. 

FBB574C3-ABEC-4B19-BA46-5D85CEBD433D.jpeg

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 6

I just got some porter house steaks from Safeway and I'd say they are like 3/4 - 1" thick.  

What would you guys recommend the time frame on these for searing and flipping?  Or should I sear until the internal temp gets to a certain temp, then flip based on that?

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I just got some porter house steaks from Safeway and I'd say they are like 3/4 - 1" thick.  

What would you guys recommend the time frame on these for searing and flipping?  Or should I sear until the internal temp gets to a certain temp, then flip based on that?

Try reverse sear:

Warm up to 500 degrees. 

Kill one of your three burners, and place the steaks on there with temp probe. 

I leave on one side until it’s over 70-80 degrees then flip and continue to cook to 115-130 degrees then move over your direct heat and sear to temp.

———

Here’s dinner tonight.

Cowboy butter Surf-n-Turf with pan seared green beans.

28229444647_8b09b43141_b.jpg

Oh and....

28229444527_9248552997_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

So I gave it a go tonight with the iGrill.  As for the iGrill, so far I like what I see.  When I first hooked it up I fired up the app with it sitting on the grill and it read 85/84 degrees.  I checked my weather app and it was 85 so pretty accurate.

I then googled what temp to cook a steak at medium rare and it came back at 140, and let it rest till 145.  So I decided to take it off at 135 and let it rest and one got to 142 and one to 140.

In the end, they were definitely cooked more than we wanted.  They still tasted great but were more med/well for sure.  They were super juicy still which was nice, but definitely tougher than we like.

Then I played with the app some more and noticed you can set it to 'grill' mode and when you do, you can pick the meat you are picking and the desired done-ness.  So I decided to check the porter house steak (which is what I cooked) and noticed that the temp it shows for med-rare on there was 130 degrees, which is 15 degrees lower than what I found when googling.  So in hindsight, I probably should have seen what cut of steak it was talking about on google however it didn't mention it at all.  I feel had I taken it off the grill when it read 125 and let it rest to get to 130 it would have been PERFECT.

At least I bought a 4 pack, so I still have 2 left to try out over the weekend!

As for the iGrill, I mean there isn't much to it but I really liked my experience with it thus far and I really liked the app so I'm not sure what people didn't like about the app.  It could be that I'm on an updated one too but I just like the interface and how clean everything looks and works with the grill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just cooked the other 2 porterhouse steaks that I had left over and this time I took them off the grill around 125 degrees.  They ended up resting and getting up around 133'ish or so and turned out pretty good but were still a tad more cooked than we prefer.  So next time, I'm going to take them off at 120.  It's crazy that food can get like 8-10 degrees hotter when resting, I had no clue.

Also I actually set the iGrill to the cut and doneness I wanted, which said 130 is where med-rare should be.  When it got to 120 degrees it actually set an alarm off to let me know it's almost done, which I thought was pretty cool.  So next time I'm going to just take it off at 120 and see how then turn out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I just cooked the other 2 porterhouse steaks that I had left over and this time I took them off the grill around 125 degrees.  They ended up resting and getting up around 133'ish or so and turned out pretty good but were still a tad more cooked than we prefer.  So next time, I'm going to take them off at 120.  It's crazy that food can get like 8-10 degrees hotter when resting, I had no clue.

Maybe you already know this, but the steak as a whole isn't getting hotter. Some of the heat from the outside of the steak is transferring to the center of the steak. 

5 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Maybe you already know this, but the steak as a whole isn't getting hotter. Some of the heat from the outside of the steak is transferring to the center of the steak. 

Nah I didn't know that.  But I just mean the temp at the core was 125 when I took it off and was like 133 or so when I stopped looking at the temp.  I just didn't know that is changed so drastically internally while resting.  

38 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Nah I didn't know that.  But I just mean the temp at the core was 125 when I took it off and was like 133 or so when I stopped looking at the temp.  I just didn't know that is changed so drastically internally while resting.  

@purbeast It's called carryover.  I pull at 120° and carryover takes it to ~ 130°. Did a ribeye tonight.  Here are the pics of the thermometers and carry case that I posted about earlier.

20180701_193839.jpg

20180701_193844.jpg

20180701_193857.jpg

20180701_194255.jpg

20180701_194250.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2018 at 6:59 PM, purbeast said:

I know that it's after the fact, but I recommend thicker steaks. At least 1 1/2".  If they don't have any in the display case, get the butcher to cut you some. Pretty much every store will do that for you.

As for your question, it's the latter. For medium rare, cook indirect until it hits 115° internal, then crank up the heat as high as it will go, and flip every 30 seconds, or so, until they hit 120.  When I say hot, I mean very hot, "afterburner" hot.

• Thanks 1

So tonight's dinner: Fresh Atlantic salmon marinated in soy sauce and brown sugar, (baked then broiled), yam patties sauteed with chopped Vidalia onion, kidney beans in my Memaw's butter sauce, and corn muffins.  ?

Lotta different flavors going on there. 

• Like 1