Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

10 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, my stall didn’t quit.

I’ve opted to wrap in foil and finish on old reliable. Here it is pre-wrap, just before I took it off the Weber kettle.

Knew it would be a big stall with a shoulder that size.  You can even wrap it bring in the house and finish it in the oven if your grill won’t go low enough. Gotta get it through that stall without drying it out with to hot s temp. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Knew it would be a big stall with a shoulder that size.  You can even wrap it bring in the house and finish it in the oven if your grill won’t go low enough. Gotta get it through that stall without drying it out with to hot s temp. 

Yeah, I was hoping a 5 hour stall would get me through. 

I broke the stall on the gas and just dropped temp to finish. Shouldn’t be long now.

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yeah, I was hoping a 5 hour stall would get me through. 

I broke the stall on the gas and just dropped temp to finish. Shouldn’t be long now.

A shoulder that size is an overnight deal straight slow cooking it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

On the bbq rig we run these on 12 hour smokes and they’re perfect, key difference between a Weber kettle and a $20,000 rig I guess! ??

Wether your using a file cabinet or a 20k smoker at its heart it’s just time and temp.  My guess is those are cooked at a higher temp than you used.  Also moving you ambient probe around can help just to make sure your getting the heat you think you are.  I put mine on the opposite side of the meat from the heat source.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

On the bbq rig we run these on 12 hour smokes and they’re perfect, key difference between a Weber kettle and a $20,000 rig I guess! ??

Nope, temp is temp, regardless of the rig....

23 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Wether your using a file cabinet or a 20k smoker at its heart it’s just time and temp.  My guess is those are cooked at a higher temp than you used.  Also moving you ambient probe around can help just to make sure your getting the heat you think you are.  I put mine on the opposite side of the meat from the heat source.  

Leave the probe next to the meat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's some good smoke! I always wrap mine, just depends when the stall hits. Today was at 165, but I've gone as long as 180. Usually do a 6-7 lb. shoulder in 8-10 hours. 

Like @AsburySkinsFan, always a great way to end the day

I wanted to avoid wrapping (for the sale of purity) but when I saw the bark on that dog I knew it had enough smoke, so wrapping was a pretty easy choice, especially considering that the stall was not breaking after almost 6 hours.

• Like 1

I've read that the smoke can only penetrate the meat so far, so wrapping after 5-6 hours doesn't really affect that. Plus I always wrap it and let it rest for an hour or more (today was like 2.5). Wrap it in foil, place in an insulated bag with a towel keeps it hot for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I go with the Texas crutch every time.  No sense even messing with it, after 10 hours it's as smokey as it's gonna get and the crutch doesn't take away any tenderness or juiciness.  Just easy to know after a set time you can have done in two hours.  Looks beautiful ASF.

Thank you, and I totally agree, I’ll definitely be wrapping from now on.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 11:47 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Thank you, and I totally agree, I’ll definitely be wrapping from now on.

I never crutch anything but brisket.

If you do crutch, make sure that you have a nice bark first, and wrap it very tightly.  

• Like 2

After a holiday weekend of cooking for my sister and her family, I'm taking the easy way out. 4lb butt. I got off to a late start, and put her on at 9:00am.  Temp has been holding ~ 230°-235° and I hit the stall,(162.5°) at 2:00pm. The goal is to eat before the puck drops.

I have some beans below the grate. Love smoked beans!

Poured a Guinness stout and fired up a Montecristo Monte and am binge watching "Billions" on the back porch. Usually it's bourbon, but I need to stay awake for the Caps game!

20180528_083114.jpg

20180528_083527.jpg

20180528_151120.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 4

I got some ground pork and beef that I make into patties and freeze for when I travel. Easy to cook with in lots of different recipes. And I don't have to cut anything. I can't wait until I get my apartment and get moved in. 

I look at what you all are cooking and drool!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I got some ground pork and beef that I make into patties and freeze for when I travel. Easy to cook with in lots of different recipes. And I don't have to cut anything. I can't wait until I get my apartment and get moved in. 

I look at what you all are cooking and drool!

I'm intrigued. Do you have a certain proportion of pork to beef? What % fat?

I cook them separately for the most part, beef dishes and pork dishes. The beef is 90%. I don't know what the pork is but it's pretty lean, not much fat cooks out. 

My mom used to make meatloaf, beef, pork, and veal. I make that occassionally but it's a lot for one person. I could freeze it but haven't made it in a while. 

I eat pretty simply these days. Tonight it's a pork patty and some baked sweet potatoes. Dancer likes the sweet potato too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I cook them separately for the most part, beef dishes and pork dishes. The beef is 90%. I don't know what the pork is but it's pretty lean, not much fat cooks out. 

My mom used to make meatloaf, beef, pork, and veal. I make that occassionally but it's a lot for one person. I could freeze it but haven't made it in a while. 

I eat pretty simply these days. Tonight it's a pork patty and some baked sweet potatoes. Dancer likes the sweet potato too.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

If I do 8+lbs I have to do it overnight. It’s a 12 hour minimum thing. I always get concerned I’m going to wake up to a smashed Komado from a bear :(

Also, I second wrapping in foil, towel, then place in cooler (or whatever)

i miss smoking :(

• Like 3