Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Ten bucks of dryer vent and I have the cold smoker attachment set up nice.  Trying another brisket flat.  Last one was a little dry so I'm using 220f vs 225 this time and pulling for the crutch at 190 instead of 195.  It's no lie that they're tricky.  What with the better temp regulation using the attachment I think it'll work.

IMG_20180727_083609.jpg

IMG_20180727_071336.jpg

• Like 4

Obviously a misprint at Sams on these ribeyes.  Priced at 1.8 pounds for 18 bucks.  There were 3 and I split them.  I was so impressed with the Weber honey garlic rub that I picked this one up and I must say it’s damn good too.  Primarily salt, pepper, garlic and onion but also has some lemon zest.  Came out real nice.  Used it on the grilled onions, shrooms and zoodles as well. 

Whats everyone else got going on Sunday night?

5CEB18CF-E5BB-453F-B599-072BDC47D6FD.png

798DC64A-3599-4843-9147-311E1EC30567.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm...I love spatch****ed dry rub roasted chicken on the grill. Especially that spicy crispy skin when the sugar in the rub caramelizes. I put a mixture of crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and basil under the skin to add a ton of juicy flavor to the meat!
(Offset heat until temps got to 160, flipped over direct heat with some oil drizzled over the skin until crispy, then flipped back and continued to heat to 165+.

43059109974_9cd35287e2_b.jpg

43775428681_e2e89abf1f_b.jpg

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Damn that looks good.  What is the total cook time on a full chicken of that size?

Tell ya the truth I haven't a clue, I really don't. I wanted a slower cook on them so I had them offset on the right ride of my grill with burner 1 (left) on med-high, and burners 2-3 on low. Like I said earlier I cooked them to about 160 offset, then flipped them over onto the direct heat and kicked the heat up a bit more until I thought the skin was good and crispy, then I flipped them back off the high heat and kicked burners 2-3 up to about med-high to push up over 165. It took awhile, hour and a half maybe? Dunno. I had time for a yeti of rum and coke, the kids got home from soccer practice, my black lab was laying at my feet as I sat on the deck, and the weather was perfect. But, I couldn't tell you how long it was with any sort of certainty. My built in thermometer read over 300 degrees-ish, for most of the cook, so whatever that works out to be time wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

My first whole hog cook is coming up on Saturday.  I'm getting awfully excited.  Any tips and tricks will be much appreciated.  

Never done whole hog myself before, I’ve worked BBQ teams that do it, but never been part of the prep/cook team, just the eatin’ team. BTW, if you are offered the cheek meat, smile big and say thank you so much, then truly enjoy. That’s the oyster!!

What type of smoke system are you using? Cement block with coals, hybrid smoker, old school metal smoker? How big is the pig?

The whole hog...damn that sounds awful impressive!  I've done them in the ground before, that's pretty common at metanzas around here.  Burn a fire in a big pit on someone's farm all night while you drink beer.  In the wee hours of the morning cut the hog in quarters, saving the longa or skin for chicharrones, then wrap in foil and wet gunny sacks put on top of the coals from the fire and bury it all day.  By late afternoon when you dig it out it's sublime.  Truly some of my best memories revolve around that.

Edited by KAOSkins

11 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Never done whole hog myself before, I’ve worked BBQ teams that do it, but never been part of the prep/cook team, just the eatin’ team. BTW, if you are offered the cheek meat, smile big and say thank you so much, then truly enjoy. That’s the oyster!!

What type of smoke system are you using? Cement block with coals, hybrid smoker, old school metal smoker? How big is the pig?

We are getting the hog from a friend of mine's brother who is a pig farmer, so we don't know exactly how big.  He said probably in the 80-100lb range.  We have a couple of options for cooking.  We have access to a "La Caja China" - the cuban style pig-roasting box.  I also have a decent size drum smoker if the pig is on the smaller side, and we have a truck load of cinder blocks and rebar to MaCgyer our own.  I think we are going to see how the weather looks before we decide.  There is some rain in the forecast for Friday night/saturday morning, and if that's the case, we may go with the Caja China (shortest cooking time).  If it stays clear, I think the cinder-block/coals sounds like the most fun.

I already have dibs on one cheek.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, purbeast said:

That's good to know, I have never considered cooking a full chicken like that but one day hope to give it a try.

Dude, you gotta! These things were $5 each at my grocery store....avoid Perdue chickens they were $10...REALLY!?

I've been playing around with different techniques, roasting "beer" chicken stand, trussing (tying), and butterflying (spatchcoc*ing).

I don't do actual beer can chicken because it's a complete waste of time and a good beer and only makes the whole process take longer, I do have a roasting stand that I use on occasion but I don't care for it as much. Trussing is fine but it can be a pain, and you really have to watch your temps to make sure the chicken breasts get cooked completely. Butterflying the bird helps with cooking time, because you don't have a ball of mass you're trying to heat, and the bird can cook from both sides. It's super easy to do, you just flip the bird breast down, grab the neck and then with a sharp chef's knife start cutting down one side of the spine, then on the other. (You're gonna have to get real with it though, don't be bashful) Once the spine is free, flip the bird and spread it out a bit, then with the palm of your hand push on straight down on the breast bone to completely open the bird. I "chicken wing" the wings (basically making the bird reach behind its head). Oh, I also cut around the end of the leg, this cuts the tendon and skin and allows the meat to pull up toward the top as it cooks. I know there's a term for this but I don't know what it is.

Don't forget to season the breast meat under the skin. Starting at the head you should be able to find an easy opening, there may be a thin membrane but you can push through that with your fingers. Push your fingers all under the skin to create the space, you aren't looking to pull the skin off, just creating space under it. You can come up from the bottom the same way to access the thigh/leg area too. I like using garlic, salt, pepper, and some herbs like basil. Just take a spoon and push it under the skin and then spread it around as best you can. 

I personally like well seasoned food and the juices etc will "wash" some off so I use an ample amount of seasoning all over the skin, getting it into all of the nooks and crannies.

Total prep time for two birds, about 15 minutes.

42 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

We are getting the hog from a friend of mine's brother who is a pig farmer, so we don't know exactly how big.  He said probably in the 80-100lb range.  We have a couple of options for cooking.  We have access to a "La Caja China" - the cuban style pig-roasting box.  I also have a decent size drum smoker if the pig is on the smaller side, and we have a truck load of cinder blocks and rebar to MaCgyer our own.  I think we are going to see how the weather looks before we decide.  There is some rain in the forecast for Friday night/saturday morning, and if that's the case, we may go with the Caja China (shortest cooking time).  If it stays clear, I think the cinder-block/coals sounds like the most fun.

I already have dibs on one cheek.  

THAT sounds like a lot of fun!!!

I wish I had more advice other than aluminum foil wrap the ears and tail so they don't burn.

And you had best post photos!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Cooking whole chickens is so underrated.  Sometimes I throw them in the slow cooker for an easy dinner, but also on the grill with a nice rub.  Sometimes beer can chicken....

Totally agree with cooking whole chicken! 

I mean each bird is $5!!! Try feeding a family under $10 for protiens!

• Like 4

Just got some of the steak n chop seasoning- really good.

had some garlic and herb chicken (bought pre seasoned from Walmart), ny strip with the steak n chop, grilled zucchini, cucumber and tomato in olive oil with salt and pepper wrapped in foil- 

• Like 1