Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

My wife and I like to make corn chowder, especially this time of year. It's pretty flexible, but you basically start with a base of corn and stock and add whatever you like. Possible inclusions:

Potatoes/Onion/Leeks

Beans/Peppers/Chipotles

Smoked sausage

Broccoli/Cabbage

Cheese/Velveeta

Milk/Cream

I was inspired by the previous post about Instant Pot ribs. Here’s mine from tonight.

Central BBQ (Memphis, TN) Dry Rub seasoning, apple juice and bourbon as the juice in the pot. 

25 minutes pressure cook.

10 minute natural release

Coat with Stubbs BBQ sauce broil top rack until caramalized.

Reglaze and shake more rub on top.

Broil again.

Photograph and then eat!

44344318295_fc09cee6fd_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
Wrote City rather than Central BBQ
  • Like 9

Home-made from scratch with shrimp and garden fresh okra gumbo with roasted crushed tomatoes. I even made my own roux!! The roux worked perfectly! Cooked on medium heat for 20 minutes then I took it off the heat, and it continued to brown in the measuring cup until it was chocolate brown!!

31452217918_7c3773b094_b.jpg

31452217778_82408c8466_b.jpg

31452217868_af5b60d515_b.jpg

45277106292_d302a78316_b.jpg

• Like 6

Only thing missing was the crawdads!!

This was my first gumbo attempt, I love hiw the okra cooks down and then thickens everything. Purists will probably holler that I used tomatoes rather than letting the roux provide the color, but I like a tomato background in there. 

I do need recommendations for a new canjun seasoning, the one I have is WAY salty and nit nearly as spicy as I want, so I used a LOT more cayanne. All in all it blended very well with thick spicy stew and delicious seasoned shrimp. I just threw them in raw with about 30 minutes left on the cook.

It turned out just like I like it, spicy and chunky with loads of shrimp...4 pounds!!!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I do need recommendations for a new canjun seasoning, the one I have is WAY salty and nit nearly as spicy as I want, so I used a LOT more cayanne. All in all it blended very well with thick spicy stew and delicious seasoned shrimp. I just threw them in raw with about 30 minutes left on the cook.

This is from Chef Paul's book.  Although it's meant specifically for the etouffee recipe I really like it as a catch all cajun seasoning.  It's excellent as a blackening spice mix.

IMG_20181014_202323.jpg

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

This is from Chef Paul's book.  Although it's meant specifically for the etouffee recipe I really like it as a catch all cajun seasoning.  It's excellent as a blackening spice mix.

Thank you! I was afraid of using basil because I didn’t want it tasting Italian. Gonna have to see about the white pepper and why it’s different than black.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Thank you! I was afraid of using basil because I didn’t want it tasting Italian. Gonna have to see about the white pepper and why it’s different than black.

Maybe cooking with white pepper is something...but the Chinese restaurant we used to go to had white pepper in the table shakers, and I hated it, always brought my own black pepper.?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That would be a great test comparison! 

You said you had them in the bath for 24 hours? How did you finishe them?

I had them at 152 for 24 hours.  I finished them by applying BBQ sauce and putting them on my gas grill.  Broiling or grilling should work the same just some way to crisp them up.  Gonna try a little liquid smoke next time too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

They're pepper berries before they are ripe and turn black and hard.  Has a more peppery flavor but not quite as sharp.  If that makes any sense.  I also use white pepper in dishes where I don't want the black specks but I want some of the flavor.  Like risotto for instance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

I had them at 152 for 24 hours.  I finished them by applying BBQ sauce and putting them on my gas grill.  Broiling or grilling should work the same just some way to crisp them up.  Gonna try a little liquid smoke next time too.  

Let me know your thoughts on the liquid smoke, for some reason I’m skeptical, but I see it used a lot...so maybe I’m wrong

On 10/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

I was inspired by the previous post about Instant Pot ribs. Here’s mine from tonight.

Central BBQ (Memphis, TN) Dry Rub seasoning, apple juice and bourbon as the juice in the pot. 

25 minutes pressure cook.

10 minute natural release

Coat with Stubbs BBQ sauce broil top rack until caramalized.

Reglaze and shake more rub on top.

Broil again.

Photograph and then eat!

44344318295_fc09cee6fd_b.jpg

Honestly the first thing that came out of my mouth when i saw this was " HOLY ****" that looks glorious

Edited by JoeJacobyHOForRIOT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Let me know your thoughts on the liquid smoke, for some reason I’m skeptical, but I see it used a lot...so maybe I’m wrong

It is literally liquid smoke. It's made by condensing smoke. It actually works reasonably well, especially for someone who can't smoke (say lives in an apartment) or wants to use a slow cooker or other pot but still get smoky dishes. 

You can even make your own liquid smoke believe it or not. 

Just be sparing with it, a little goes a long way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Pretty much what Dfitz said.  This will be my first time using it.  I ordered apple wood smoke as I like to use apple wood when I actually do smoke. Just using a few drops. 

• Like 2

Pork shoulder in instant pot.

layered with onions on base with the spices rubbed on pork and poured sauces on top (half cups of bbqs, splash of red hot and quarter cup of vinegar).  Did high pressure for about 70min the removed onions and some of the liquid and put on sauté for 5 minutes with left over juices and additional sauces. 

Turned out with a nice sweet tangy flavor, slightly over salty but not too bad

ED539878-91EF-4368-B386-62BAC24CFD37.jpeg

4DB0A478-485B-406C-A80C-0C1BC36BC703.jpeg

C4557618-9EDC-464E-95C7-1C2BB384E95A.jpeg

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1