Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

45 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This will be happening in my immediate future!!!

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

I don't know that I would call those burnt ends, but they look amazing.  I just don't have the time or smoking setup to make them.  Let us know how they turn out.

• Thanks 1

Had been eyeing the traegers and looking for comparables for when I decided to upgrade.  Well, The old grill burners started going low and not getting heat and was going to try and fix but wife said to just get a new one (probably just a regulator reset but I didn’t argue) so here we are!

went with with pitboss 820 - was 20% off and about half the price of a same size traeger ($399).  Anyone have experience with these?

5F130236-DE94-43A6-AB1B-E2EEFFEB4FBC.jpeg

• Like 3

No experience with Pitboss but I’m a big fan of pellet smokers in general.  I’ve been using an old Traeger that my uncle gave me, getting comparable if not better results than folks with big smoking rigs.  I do have some Pitboss brand pellets, a mix of a few different types I can’t quite remember but very good.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, smoked pork belly on the Weber kettle, and the Slow-n-Sear. Great on flavor, but I wasn’t able to baby-sit the temps so it’s not perfectly rendered. Lesson learned for next time.

45724610922_44d6d9a177_b.jpg

Did you follow the recipe on the Adrenaline web site?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Did you follow the recipe on the Adrenaline web site?

Sort of.

I was forced to do the cook when I wasn’t ready because one of my kids let my frozen pork belly thaw before I was planning. I was balancing half a dozen things all while trying to maintain my temp so I kept dropping and was never able to really settle in at a 225-250.

Other than that yeah. 

I’m going to put them in my oven, put them on a wire rack and covered backing pan with some water in the bottom to help render the fat more completely.

My smoke penetration was excellent, beautiful pink rings with dark bark.

• Like 1

Forgot about something nifty quick I pulled off that y'all might be able to use...

I sauteed the onions as usual, with a piece of buillion & butter 

Little thin sirloin steaks, room temp, sprinkled with med sea salt & cracked pepper with a splash of Worcestershire in foil boats in toaster oven on "toast" setting, light...flip steaks, set to medium toast. When timer goes off, leave it while you plate your sides. 

Pile sauteed onions on steak. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Steak seemed to cook quicker than what I had seen in recipes so it was dry, called for 3-4 hours and it was above what I was hoping for at 230 when I pulled off to sear.  Seems like 225 for 2 would be good

ended up adding some sauce and sautéed to get some moisture back

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

That's funny...I've wanted @Chews wife's recipe for years...?

What’s that consist of?

Edited by steve09ru

In Myersville, MD this weekend viditing family before a funeral.

I had the opportunity to cook some chicken parm with vodka sauce from scratch. I feel like I’m much more confident about my cooking, I made this chicken parm from scratch with no recipe. My piece was a bit darker than I wanted because I had to use graded parm rather than a shredded parmesan.

45899832061_bafdcb46ef_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/23/2017 at 10:47 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

My mom always hosts Tgiving and I do the cooking. My itinerary:

Head to Sterling at 12

stick turkey in over at 12:05

Turn on NFL pregame show 12:06

Obsess over fantasy lineup 12:07-1:00

Start drinking first bottle of wine at 1:00

sharpen every knife in house

chop stuff 

make a rack of deviled eggs

roast beets for salad

demolish large plate of cheese and crackers

open second bottle of wine

assign responsibly for my 2 3 year old to 7 8 year old niece. 

boil potatoes for mashing

argue with western PA cousin why Trump sucks and Fox News is actually the fake news. Assert dominance

Roast squash and bake stuffing

pull bird to rest

open third bottle of wine

explain to my mom that it is “for dinner”

drink entire bottle

set table for dinner (with 4th bottle, placed at my end of the table)

carve bird

make gravy

Eat!

Make grandma mom do the dishes

Make wife drive home

Watch WVU basterball football game

Tomorrow is my favorite day of the year.  My itinerary has changed slightly.  

• Haha 1

What's interesting is last year I cooked the turkey in about the most classic no-frills possible way. Lifting the skin, rubbing butter underneath it, injecting the meat all over with a creole spice marinade, and stuffing it with sliced apples & oranges.  

Then just baked it according to directions, while basting it in it's own juices & drippings every so often.

It was probably the best tasting turkey I have ever made.

I am going to find out tomorrow if it was just dumb luck or not because I am going that route again.

• Like 6

this year i'm going with a 12 lb. that i haven't prepped yet besides thawing (i'll wing that in the morning i suppose) and a smaller 6 lb that i have sitting in a traeger brine mixture  until morning then rubbing and smoking with a turkey pellet blend (oak, hickory, maple, rosemary)

Edited by steve09ru