Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh without a doubt, the noodles are what sets apart real ramen from what I'm cooking, but like you said to make the dashi is WAY too time consuming.

I just add the spice packet, some soy sauce, and some sriracha and BOOM! Sure it won't have all the nuance and subtlety of an authentic dashi, but it's $2 all in per bowl....and it tastes pretty damned good.

You gave me great ideas with that too...the sliced black forest ham was great, but I swapped the sriracha for 2 packets of taco bell fire sauce & a couple dashes of Texas Pete (it's what I had on hand)...

Hubby has some dental sensitivity lately and he loved it, so thanks for cheap, easy, and full of flava. ??‍♀️

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

You gave me great ideas with that too...the sliced black forest ham was great, but I swapped the sriracha for 2 packets of taco bell fire sauce & a couple dashes of Texas Pete (it's what I had on hand)...

Hubby has some dental sensitivity lately and he loved it, so thanks for cheap, easy, and full of flava. ??‍♀️

I think people underestimate the flavor in that bowl. I even add some lime now too. I tastes a lot more like Vietnames Pho made with ramen noodles, yeah purist's heads may explode but who cares. 

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

It's food.

Great tasting food, I like the lime, almost makes  it Mexicana ?

I add the cilantro and jalepenos too, but ONLY because that's what they give me at the Pho restaurant in Lexington, and I suspect that the people there actually know what they're doing. I have ZERO idea if that's authentic or not, but it tastes awesome, and the crunch of the celery and thin sliced peppers is awesome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is wild.  But that feels like the most unhealthy thing I've ever seen.

Both sets of early grandparents had crazy stuff going on...grew tobacco so spit cans were everywhere...a little shed to "cure" whatever it was...and we picked every bean & ear of corn.

They listened to everything on radio, in the early 70s...even though they had a tv.

I almost miss that, but even though I've smoked for 40 years, the reminder of what a tobacco field smells like is absolutely nauseating. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by the Italian dishes a couple weeks ago, I decided to make my first lasagna.

Four meat, three cheese, one veggie

Def not vegan!!

meats: ground beef, Italian sausage, pepperoni slices, shredded chicken

cheeses: fresh mozzarella slices, ricotta, shredded parmesan

Veg: Spinach

43815250385_a9863d22ab_b.jpg

43815250415_0c9f640610_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Going to try lasagna in my slow cooker in a couple of weeks. Will let you all know how it turns out. Probably one meat, couple of cheeses, probably no veggies.

IMO no need for a slow cooker. I used the “ready to bake” noodles.

50 min covered on 375

10 min uncovered on broil.

And it was done to perfection.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

IMO no need for a slow cooker. I used the “ready to bake” noodles.

50 min covered on 375

10 min uncovered on broil.

And it was done to perfection.

Thanks, I might give them a try.

I have a countertop convection oven and I use that exclusively as I use the regular oven to store pans and lids. This kitchen has a lot less storage, plus my oven doesn't heat up the apartment.

• Like 2

Pulled out my bread machine to make bread dough for a loaf. This is the first bread in Texas. I only use the machine to make the dough, then bake in a Pullman pan. I only use USA pans, they are the best. My pan is the smaller one, 9" long. That way the bread doesn't mold plus I keep it in the fridge.

I will post picks!

• Like 1

No picks, not worth it.

I used Gold Medal bread flour instead of King Arthur bread flour and there is a very different taste between the two. Also, the dough turned out wetter than usual. So I will adjust the recipe and make lots of bread to use up the Gold Medal so I can buy the King Arthur flour.

Not bad but not the regular!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still looks yummy!

Using my convection oven every day, so glad I bought it. Also using my pressure/slow cooker and freezing food, then the FoodSaver to vacuum pack. Can buy the cheaper value packs of meat and freeze. Yesterday I floured two chicken thighs and made a mushroom cream sauce over rice. So two servings, cooking once. Microwaving the second for today's dinner.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I made porchetta following the serious eats recipe (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/all-belly-porchetta-recipe-italian-roast-pork.html).

It was amazing, with perfect cracklings.  Yours looks pretty great... 

Thank you!

It is good and the skin is crunchy, but I want to get it more pork rind-ish (blistered). There is a salt prep recipe that is supposed to do it. So I’ll be trying that next time. 

For those who haven’t had this before, the pork belly is RICH! I like adding the pork loin because it is meatier and adds a balance to the belly and the fat it contians.

55 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Still looks yummy!

Using my convection oven every day, so glad I bought it. Also using my pressure/slow cooker and freezing food, then the FoodSaver to vacuum pack. Can buy the cheaper value packs of meat and freeze. Yesterday I floured two chicken thighs and made a mushroom cream sauce over rice. So two servings, cooking once. Microwaving the second for today's dinner.

What model are you using? I want a gas convection oven but we may be moving and I’m hesitant to invest in the gas conversion that I want.