Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

The pig was delicious - perfectly juicy and great flavors in the rub and sauces.  We had no cracklings - the pig came skinned.  That was disapppointing, but apparently this supplier didn’t have the necessary scalder needed to sell skin-on hogs.  Still, the rub and heat made for great bark.  We’ll definitely get a smaller pig with skin next time.  At 98lbs (dressed weight), this one barely fit in the box.

62F479E3-F03E-4E0D-B33A-D52D4114DEC2.jpeg

• Like 4

It was actually really easy.

Friday night, we injected the pig (just the hams and shoulders) with a brine of orange juice, lime juice, pineapple juice, a ton of garlic, oregano, cumin and salt.  We then liberally added a basic dry rub over everything.  Dry rub was garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper.  We also built the box, which took a little while (all the beer probably didn’t make it go any faster).

Yesterday we got the pig in the box and just followed instructions.  Basically, we started with 18lbs of charcoal on top and added another 9 lbs every hour or so.  We had wired thermometers in each ham/shoulder, and pulled it out when they all were at around 185.  Overall, took a little over 6 hours.  We cooked the corn in its husks right in the coals.

Pig was served with two dipping sauces.  One was citrus and herbs (mostly mint/parsley/oregano), the other was dried toasted chiles, rehydrated in grapefruit juice, puréed.  

Super-easy way to feed 50+ people.  It was all delicious, and we have tons of left-overs.  

• Like 4

Something cheap, easy, and delicious!

This is a bit of a Japanese ramen/ Vietnamese Pho hybrid. Uber easy and cheap. 

I just used el cheapo two ramen packs 1 seasoning packet.

43028661305_a99482ffb5_b.jpg

1 poached egg...super easy

thinly sliced jalepeños, celery, chopped black forest ham slices, cilantro, soy sauce, and some sriracha to taste. I’ve paid upwards of $12 for a bowl this size for a very similar bowl of Pho. I just added my costs, I've got maybe $2 in this bowl. 

Some purists may hate be, but this was delicious!!!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

pics or it didn't happen

It was just the cheap home depot one but I still love it. 

I get to use charcoal when I have the time and propane when I don't. 

Plus the propane side is perfect for quick stuff like hot dogs or quickly re-heating stuff. 

20180527_193417.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Plus the propane side is perfect for quick stuff like hot dogs or quickly re-heating stuff. 

I REALLY debated on a similar one when I got my Genesis II. It was really close, and if I didn't already have my Weber kettle with my slow-n-sear then I probably would have gotten it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I REALLY debated on a similar one when I got my Genesis II. It was really close, and if I didn't already have my Weber kettle with my slow-n-sear then I probably would have gotten it.

I've never been a huge griller. 

Always kinda just when the moment strikes me but I took a vacation last year where they only had a charcoal grill and I fell in love with charcoal. 

Now that I grill far more often I'll probably think about getting a nicer grill in the not too distant future. 

And the whole charcoal vs propane debate seems so ridiculous to me. 

For flavor charcoal all the way. 

Propane if you're feeling lazy or don't have the time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I've never been a huge griller. 

Always kinda just when the moment strikes me but I took a vacation last year where they only had a charcoal grill and I fell in love with charcoal. 

Now that I grill far more often I'll probably think about getting a nicer grill in the not too distant future. 

And the whole charcoal vs propane debate seems so ridiculous to me. 

For flavor charcoal all the way. 

Propane if you're feeling lazy or don't have the time. 

I was gas all the way until a couple years ago when I started with my Weber, now quick and easy dinner is on the gas grill, stuff I want special goes on the Weber. My wife was a big reason I got the gas grill too, when I'm not home for dinner she cooks on it, but wouldn't touch the Weber kettle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, redskinss said:

Can I ask where you got that canopy structure in your picture? I just finished rehabbing my porch (wood rot repair, belt sanding 80+ years of paint, priming, painting, caulking,,,,) and we want to use the space without the grill and grilling stuff taking up so much space. I want to do a paver patio (maybe a deck) and keep the big grill out on that, but want it covered with something besides just the grill cover. That looks like it could be a good solution.

EDIT. Nevermind. I found it. This thread is great, btw. I just don't post pictures of my embarrassing grilling efforts.

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Something cheap, easy, and delicious!

This is a bit of a Japanese ramen/ Vietnamese Pho hybrid. Uber easy and cheap. 

I just used el cheapo two ramen packs 1 seasoning packet.

Lol.  I had something similar a couple nights ago.  I took one of the cheapo spicy ramen bowls, added garlic chili paste, and some chopped green onion.  Once it had cooked, I added a small can of crab meat.  It was an excellent spicy, seafood broth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mojo said:

Lol.  I had something similar a couple nights ago.  I took one of the cheapo spicy ramen bowls, added garlic chili paste, and some chopped green onion.  Once it had cooked, I added a small can of crab meat.  It was an excellent spicy, seafood broth.

Tell me about it! I know it’s not the “real” ramen but for $2 a bowl it’s pretty damn hard to beat and pretty tasty!

Adding crab meat sounds great!! 

Learned a tough lesson today.  Picked up a 2lb shoulder roast pre seasoned ‘carnitas’ from Aldi for like 4 bucks.  Figured I’d smoke it and make tacos for dinner.  Going by the two hours per pound method at 225, I assumed this would take 4-5 hours tops.  I put it in at 225 at noon.  It took until 8 pm for this thing to hit 200.  WTF?  I pulled it and it’s good, but not as good as when I did bigger shoulders.  I checked the temp every hour or so and it ranged from 200-250 each time or somewhere in between.  Not sure I’ll ever do that again, the whole house was hangry.

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Learned a tough lesson today.  Picked up a 2lb shoulder roast pre seasoned ‘carnitas’ from Aldi for like 4 bucks.  Figured I’d smoke it and make tacos for dinner.  Going by the two hours per pound method at 225, I assumed this would take 4-5 hours tops.  I put it in at 225 at noon.  It took until 8 pm for this thing to hit 200.  WTF?  I pulled it and it’s good, but not as good as when I did bigger shoulders.  I checked the temp every hour or so and it ranged from 200-250 each time or somewhere in between.  Not sure I’ll ever do that again, the whole house was hangry.

You've arrived, young Padawan.  We've all been there.  200° is too low of a cooking temp, next time shoot for a minimum of 225°. I usually fall somewhere between 225°- 250°. I suggest smoking shoulders and brisket way earlier, because you can always keep them piping hot for hours, in a faux cambro,(basically a cooler with a towels in it..Google it).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's a nice looking patio @Popeman38.  I like how your firepit is built in and centered with the low wall and I like the stone veneer on it.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

thinly sliced jalepeños, celery, chopped black forest ham slices, cilantro, soy sauce, and some sriracha to taste. I’ve paid upwards of $12 for a bowl this size for a very similar bowl of Pho. I just added my costs, I've got maybe $2 in this bowl. 

That looks good.  The noodles are what make fancy restaurant Ramen special and expensive.  That and the broth, which is so time consuming to make.  I've got some pretty good dried Ramen noodles that I haven't cooked because, every time I want to, I get scared off by the time it takes to make the stock and the dashi.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That looks good.  The noodles are what make fancy restaurant Ramen special and expensive.  That and the broth, which is so time consuming to make.  I've got some pretty good dried Ramen noodles that I haven't cooked because, every time I want to, I get scared off by the time it takes to make the stock and the dashi.

Oh without a doubt, the noodles are what sets apart real ramen from what I'm cooking, but like you said to make the dashi is WAY too time consuming.

I just add the spice packet, some soy sauce, and some sriracha and BOOM! Sure it won't have all the nuance and subtlety of an authentic dashi, but it's $2 all in per bowl....and it tastes pretty damned good.