Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve not worked much with soups. A couple stews but mostly crockpot type of freezer stew. 

I’ve flirted with doing broths etc but storage is an issue.

Food saver. Freeze overnight in plastic, vacuum seal next day. You can float them in simmering water in the bag...done. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve not worked much with soups. A couple stews but mostly crockpot type of freezer stew. 

I’ve flirted with doing broths etc but storage is an issue.

Yeah, I don't make soup that often either.  That minestrone recipe is money though, use a nice piece of parmesano reggiano rind in the pot with the veggies and it makes something special.  So good for you too, hardly any fat and everything from spinach to squash.  Plus beans for protein.  The arborio gave it a nice smooth texture as well.  If you take it off before the veggies are all the way done and freeze it you can add the beans and a dollop of pesto when you heat it up and it's good stuff.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

Yeah, I don't make soup that often either.  That minestrone recipe is money though, use a nice piece of parmesano reggiano rind in the pot with the veggies and it makes something special.  So good for you too, hardly any fat and everything from spinach to squash.  Plus beans for protein.  The arborio gave it a nice smooth texture as well.  If you take it off before the veggies are all the way done and freeze it you can add the beans and a dollop of pesto when you heat it up and it's good stuff.

Sounds amazing!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I shopped at Randall's here in Cedar Park today. My daughter gave me a coupon for Vital Farms eggs and that was the closest store. So Randall's is the Texas version of Safeway. It was so nice to see so many familiar products. They also had a few stands of discounted items so I got mushroom sauce, half price saffron, creamy tomato sauce, and more.  Plus my Safeway number works too!

So looking forward to having some new creative dishes in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So I shopped at Randall's here in Cedar Park today. My daughter gave me a coupon for Vital Farms eggs and that was the closest store. So Randall's is the Texas version of Safeway. It was so nice to see so many familiar products. They also had a few stands of discounted items so I got mushroom sauce, half price saffron, creamy tomato sauce, and more.  Plus my Safeway number works too!

So looking forward to having some new creative dishes in the coming weeks.

Sooo glad you're good there! 

We've got a small chain here called Food Depot, the money I save is nuts...and they actually know how to responsibly bag groceries! (I always use my own bags).

Can't wait to see what you come up with! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Sous vide ribs today. Awesome!  And so easy. 

I’ve done my ribs the last couple times in my InstantPot, finished in the oven on broil to caramlize the sauce and add crispiness. Sure they aren’t as amazing as 8 hour low-n-slow smoked BBQ ribs, but you know what? They’re still pretty damned tasty. At least as good as you’d get from a sit down chain. I use apple juice instead of water in the InstantPot which helps preserve flavor and keeps the ribs from tasting boiled. I’ve got a large Insta and it fits two full racks of babies which feeds the fam.

Are you using any liquid smoke in your sous vide ribs? People recommend for the Insta but I haven’t tried it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Are you using any liquid smoke in your sous vide ribs? People recommend for the Insta but I haven’t tried it yet.

I'm still getting the hang of seasoning.  I went light because I've read Sousvide amplifies the seasonings.  I would add more salt and dry rub next time and try liquid smoke in one bag.  Now the juiciness, tenderness and bite were GREAT.  I think better than when I smoke.  I did 152 degrees for 24 hours.  I think in the end most people eating it will end up liking the sousvide style better than smoked.  I see the positives in both.  A great smoked rib is the end all be all, but getting the tenderness and juiciness spot on every time is hard.  With sousvide I can dial that in and work on my seasoning.  I'll post my next attempt and let you know how it goes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Awesome! Thank you sir! 

I've messed around with some quick sous vide cooking, but never anything that long!

What set up are you using? Sous vide device, bath, and evaporation reducer?

I use a Joule Sous Vide device with a big stockpot.  Also a Foodsaver Vacuum sealer to package the ribs.  As for evaporation I just add water about 3 times during the cook and I'm good just leaving it open.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I smoked up 3 racks of baby back ribs today for an impromptu end-of-season gathering of close friends.  I was going to take a picture after I got them out on the table, but they were gone before I could actually get a picture. 

My wife gave me the electric smoker for Christmas, and I've used it a few times, I think this was the best results.  I used the 3-2-1 method:

- Temp at 200, liberal run, hickory smoke for 3 hours

- Put in tin foil with butter, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Turn up heat to 225, smoke 2 hours

- Baste with BBQ sauce, return, smoke for 1 more hour.

(3-2-1 refers to the hours smoking per step)

They completely fell off the bone, which is the way I like them.  I am somewhat lazy, so I used a store bought rub from the McLean Organic Butcher, and Stubbs Sweet and Sticky BBQ sause.

They were damn, damn damn good.

So, I've done pork loin, pork butt, and now pork ribs.  What should I smoke next?  Suggestions?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I smoked up 3 racks of baby back ribs today for an impromptu end-of-season gathering of close friends.  I was going to take a picture after I got them out on the table, but they were gone before I could actually get a picture. 

My wife gave me the electric smoker for Christmas, and I've used it a few times, I think this was the best results.  I used the 3-2-1 method:

- Put in tin foil with butter, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Turn up heat to 225, smoke 2 hours

They completely fell off the bone, which is the way I like them.  I am somewhat lazy, so I used a store bought rub from the McLean Organic Butcher, and Stubbs Sweet and Sticky BBQ sause.

So, I've done pork loin, pork butt, and now pork ribs.  What should I smoke next?  Suggestions?

I think smoked whole chickens are actually quite tasty, but go easy on the smoke.  You can really overdo it with chicken.

Edit: Or do some salmon.  That's good ****.

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 1

@twa Brisket is a good idea, though I think I'm leaning towards Beef Ribs, as @KAOSkins suggested. 

@dfitzo53 how long do you smoke a salmon?  I can't imagine that you would smoke it very long. And full chicken is definitely a good idea.

I have some friends who smoked a whole turkey, which sounds awesome, but I don't think my smoker is big enough.  They also had to get up at like 3am to start it the day before Thanksgiving.

24 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Spoken like a true Texan.  Shiner Brewing Co and BBQ brisket (and better yet beef ribs) are the two things I'm forced to respect about that place.  

I prefer pork ribs, but beef ribs done right are good.

• Like 2

I used to buy greek green beans from a place in downtown DC when I worked on K Street, it was a store/carryout on 21St. Those beans have been on my mind since 1996.

So I bought some fresh green beans and am going to make them today. I have enough to freeze after I cook them. Of course found a recipe online!

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 10:01 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sounds good!

Smoke a chuck roast. Smoke it just like a pork butt, but use a beef rub and inject it with beef broth or do a dry brine with kosher salt. If you go that route, use a salt-free rub.  After you get a good bark, wrap it tightly I foil.  After it's done, (~ 195-203°), let it rest, then pull it like you pulled pork.

I doctor up canned pork and beans, put them in old casserole dish, stick 'em under the grate, below the roast.  If there's too much grease on the floating on top of the beans, it's easy to scoop it up with a spoon. Be sure to stir in a little bit of the grease though  because fat=flavor