Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

18 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Got a new Masterbuilt electric smoker the other day and tried my hand at homemade pastrami to christen it ;).  Came out so much better than I could have hoped for.  Just wonderful.  Cheated a little by using a store bought corned beef (brisket point) instead of curing my own, probably try that next time although I couldn't imagine it coming any better.  Moist, fork tender and wonderful flavor. 

That looks amazing. That is not cheating, that is saving time and error (probably cost about 2 dollars more). If I ever go the route of LSF and decide to road trip, I am coming to visit you and @AsburySkinsFan... Good eats. I'll bring the liquor after I stop by to see HOF44.  haha. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Call ahead seating available!!

Gotta have enough time to prepare the menu.

Absolutely sir. I'll shop for the proteins if you want... as long as you have enough room at the table for me and my wife. 

I'll probably be up that way in a month or so. I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

This thread is very motivational.  It would be foodnetwork worthy if we were to all to get together, no question.   Anyone wants to give it a shot, I followed the recipe here.  Time consuming, waiting for the various steps to do their thing, but not much actual work.  I'll be doing it again.

That’s awesome!!! Thank you!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Agree. I simply have never liked avocado. I don't hate it...but if I can do without it, it always seems a little better. 

My wife loves avocado. I can work with it. I know the flavor profile, I just don't think it adds much to anything. 

I saw a recipe for pickled avocado. You use very firm avocados so they don't get mushy. Link to the recipe.

http://www.health.com/recipes/avocado-pickles

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

A perfect medium filet mignon, with pan seared green beans, and fresh piped mashed potatoes!

This was my first time using my magic cooking stick! Joule sous vide.

Prep: salt, pepper the filet, slip into bag, add a pat of butter and sprig of rosemary, submerge in water...wait until app tells you it’s done, then pan sear in butter and rosemary.

Allow to rest a few minutes...slice and serve!!

40348786711_8871121d9c_b.jpg

40348786211_2da2ebd821_b.jpg

40303587162_15475cebc9_b.jpg

39451602215_a731c09aed_b.jpg

25476803147_1b5972a727_b.jpg

25476802107_1ed656b4a2_b.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Looks so delicious!  I put this on my wishlist. Steaks look perfect!

It is absolutely perfect! The sous vide takes the guess work out of it. I wouldn’t dare filet in a pan by itself, too thick to cook accurately for me.

Cool part was I pan seared two at a time and just left the other too in the water, it won’t over cook. Then while the first two were resting I finished 3-4. Very handy

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

I haven't gone the sous vide yet--but my wife got me cast iron searing grates for my Primo smoker. I got that thing up to almost 800 degrees, and had perfectly seared, medium-rare ribeyes in 9 minutes. I should have taken pictures, I no longer feel the need to go spend $200 at a stakehouse anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I haven't gone the sous vide yet--but my wife got me cast iron searing grates for my Primo smoker. I got that thing up to almost 800 degrees, and had perfectly seared, medium-rare ribeyes in 9 minutes. I should have taken pictures, I no longer feel the need to go spend $200 at a stakehouse anymore.

I’m with you 100% it’s hard paying steahouse prices when you can make it as good at home. 

It’s also why I don’t drink while I’m out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Ribs look good! Not a huge fan of Brussel sprouts, my daughter likes them though. I will tell her about this prep, she's a big fan of mushrooms and bacon!

Bacon (chopped) first until about half done, add brussels (halved) until almost done, then add chopped mushrooms until tender. Salt to taste, might have to add some light oil throughout.

I love pan seared veggies!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Bacon (chopped) first until about half done, add brussels (halved) until almost done, then add chopped mushrooms until tender. Salt to taste, might have to add some light oil throughout.

I love pan seared veggies!

Did you souse vide the ribs??

15 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Did you souse vide the ribs??

Not last night. I just patted them dry, covered in rub, placed in a pan, drizzled with some oil, roasted at 400 until it reached 160 degrees. Then I broiled them standing up to make sure they had a good crisp exterior.