Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

7 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I need some kind of step by step directions for that roasted pork butt. 

Super easy!

IMPORTANT STEP: Dry the meat, especially the outside. This will let it get nice and crispy.

Butterfly the pork butt, basically you’re making cuts and unrolling it.

layer with cheese, spinach and whatever else is going inside.

Start at one end and slowly roll it all together, go slow, don’t be afraid to stretch and handle the meat.

You will need four hands to place it back in the sock. USE THE SOCK, it’s better than tying.

Place on a pan

Lightly oil and add coarse salt.

I think I put mine it on 350 (because I wanted it roasted without burning the outside, but I cook to temp not oven temp.

Cook to 175 internal for nice and tender.

I finished by oiling lightly again and turning on the broiler to crispy things up.

Remove, ALLOW TO REST 10 min

I’m serious about that last part!

Slice end enjoy.

I used mozarella, but it was too soft and melted almost completely away. I recommend a less melty (there has to be a word for that) cheese. My buddy uses chevre but my fam doesn’t like the tanginess. I’m going to be experimenting, but I think a smoked gouda would be ok.

• Like 3

Crispy skin roast chicken, and croque monsieur hasselback potatoes, with a parmesan béchamel sauce. Sorry I couldn’t get better pictures....but it was devoured!!

Drying the chicken first makes the skin crispy and delicious!!!

That skin was so good I wish I had roasted TWO birds!

39346919864_66650c160f_b.jpg

Parmesan béchamel sauce topped hasselback ham and swiss stuffed potatoes. 

39346920004_0354eea463_b.jpg

Dried, sliced, oiled and salted potatoes

39346920104_dd74372b5d_b.jpg

Onion and lemon stuffed chicken, do not forget to get the rub up under the skin on the breasts and legs. DRY THE BIRD BEFORE SEASONING!!!

39159294755_3623981588_b.jpg

Chicken rub:
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

• Like 4

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

ASF, those are some seriously delicious looking dishes and thanks for the recipes!  Yum!  Can't wait to try some in my new apartment.  Can't cook anything much in the camper oven. Pretty basic cooking there.

Trust me, both the chicken and the potatotes WILL be happening again in my house. They were GONE! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Post links or pics please, I’m flooded in sous vide on Amazon and I don’t know which to get

I have a Joule too.  I like it. I think it's great for tougher pieces of meat.  I tried steaks and I can do just a good on a screaming hot charcoal grill.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 8:47 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

Steaks, pork tenderloin, salmon, creme brulee, poached eggs, lamb chops. I had about 45 people over for a party 2 weeks ago and i used it to keep a pot of beer hot all day and served brats out of it. It also thaws frozen food twice as fast as just sticking it in warm water due to the constant circulation, which is extremely helpful in my hosee b/c wife and i both work pretty late and dont always plan ahead. 

Everything turns out great. Basically, if you want to cook a steak to medium rare, you set joule to 130 and it cooks the steak exactly to that and it cant go higher. You could leave it in all day, it would stay medium rare. And with grilling, you get a little mid rare in rhe middle. With this, it's mid rare from ene to end. Then you take it out and sear it in a hot pan for 1 minute just to brown the outside and it's done. 

It's actually slower than other methods, a 1.5" thick steak takes about an hour. 

That is a post from July. 

• Like 1

Made Philly cheesesteak sliders and picked up some New England clam chowder from my father-in-law's yacht club last night.  That was pretty fun.  I'm going to try and do famous regional dishes like this for every Super Bowl now.  May Carolina and Kansas City play each other in the next one so I can eat a bunch of BBQ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like buying lamb shanks and throwing them in the crock pot with potatoes, tomatoes, onion, just a slight amount of broth to prevent any sticking/burning to bottom. 

Thanks for the directions for the Pork roast. One technique I sometimes use, since I cook to the oven temp, sort of the opposite of you. I will cover a roast in foil for the majority of the cook, and then remove the foil for the final 10-15 mins (keeping an eye on it) and jack the heat up to broil to get the crust top.

Wife nailed the spring rolls with peanut sauce last night! I'd have pictures but I wolfed them down. 

On 2/3/2018 at 7:14 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Super easy!

IMPORTANT STEP: Dry the meat, especially the outside. This will let it get nice and crispy.

Seems obvious, but I saw the science on this... if you don't dry there's water on the surface, that water has to boil off first before the meat starts to cook. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Seems obvious, but I saw the science on this... if you don't dry there's water on the surface, that water has to boil off first before the meat starts to cook. 

The difference is seriously incredible.

Lookie what arrived today!!!

39211084255_ef7cb47b58_b.jpg

I love the instructions!

40077555102_e225ac2397_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1