Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

So what good cookbooks are out there for people who want to learn how to cook

Google "5 minute recipes"

That is a good introduction for you. Or "5 minute ____ recipes" if you are looking for something specific. 

That will get you more comfortable with cooking without being intimidating. Just quick and easy stuff and you can build from there.

Just now, ixcuincle said:

I have the skillet and all the kitchen tools needed to cook other than an oven (terrified to turn it on since the fire that started in one about 5 years ago). Come on. I need a cookbook to teach me what to make 

You don't need a cookbook.  Just decide what you want to eat, then google a recipe for it or search for a recipe in youtube.  Don't limit yourself to one recipe in a cookbook.  There are a plethora of recipes out there on the internet for you to look at and compare and see which ones are easier to make or sound like they would taste better.  

If you want say kung po chicken over rice, google "kung po chicken recipe", then find one that looks good.  Make it.  Bookmark the recipe.  We haven't gotten a new cookbook in almost two decades now.  So much more information on the internet and it's free.

• Like 3

Cooks Illustrated.  Any of their cookbooks are perfect for beginners (their Italian Cookbook is my favorite) because they discuss every issue you face making the recipe and describe how they best dealt with it.  Including explanations of their failures and why it failed or wasn't as good as the technique they decide on.  Outstanding cookbooks and they charge online so you have to buy them.  Once you get a feel for cooking then online recipes become much more useful because you can mix and match based on ingredients you have available already in your kitchen and what's local and good.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

So what good cookbooks are out there for people who want to learn how to cook

I don’t typically use cookbooks, I work mostly off youtube/facebook recipe videos. I like Luxury Food London the most, thry feature Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver. Tasty has a lot of good videos too, but tend to be under seasoned IMO. There are seriously a TON of videos out there that make cooking a whole lot easier. 

Trust me, I am NOT some great chef, these videos have helped a ton. I used to be intimidated in the kitchen. I’d read cookbooks and wouldn’t have a clue what they were talking about. Watching the videos made it incredibly easy.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

19 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

You don't need a cookbook.  Just decide what you want to eat, then google a recipe for it or search for a recipe in youtube.  Don't limit yourself to one recipe in a cookbook.  There are a plethora of recipes out there on the internet for you to look at and compare and see which ones are easier to make or sound like they would taste better.  

If you want say kung po chicken over rice, google "kung po chicken recipe", then find one that looks good.  Make it.  Bookmark the recipe.  We haven't gotten a new cookbook in almost two decades now.  So much more information on the internet and it's free.

Same. I have been using Allrecipes.com  for around the same amount of time. 

Start with what you are craving, then look up the recipes. 

Omit the things you don't want ( or have allergies to ) and tweak a little bit with portions of ingredients ( to your liking). Winning. 

Personally, I don't mess around with the recipe unless I read a lot of reviews that convince me otherwise.

Over the years...you build your own cookbook with recipes and build your spice rack/cabinet full of all the stuff you need. 

Buying the spices can cost a bit at first...same as buying anything. If you use it and have it even just sometimes...worth the investment when the end result is amazing. 

As a side note, my wife uses Pinterest as another tool to find recipes. 

We eat out...but we eat at home at least 4 out of 7 days for dinner. 

Reminds me that I need to look up that recipe for caramel popcorn. 

As far as crock pot cooking...planning part doesn't bother me. 

I will buy the roast and veggies. Use the veggies for other meals during that week and know that I am still making that roast. 

• Like 3

Next thing I am cooking in my pressure cooker, but not using the pressure part, is a pork roast with some gold potatoes and maybe carrots. I have to go get carrots, maybe I will get parsnips or turnips for a change. Although I like raw turnips. And maybe some cabbage. 

I'll use the slow cooker settings.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

34 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Next thing I am cooking in my pressure cooker, but not using the pressure part, is a pork roast with some gold potatoes and maybe carrots. I have to go get carrots, maybe I will get parsnips or turnips for a change. Although I like raw turnips. And maybe some cabbage. 

I'll use the slow cooker settings.

Add some Vidalia Onions. Oh my goodness. Delicious. 

I have a bunch of family recipes that I riff from. 

If you want to get really technical, Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking volumes 1 & 2 are fascinating reads. I used to watch her cooking shows, so entertaining and informative! But those are challenging books and not for the beginner cook.

I’m gonna catch hell for this I’m certain, it’s acrilege to many I know, but these ribs were cooked in the Instant Pot and then finished in the oven. I used a coffee bbq rub, pulled the membranes, and then cooked in 2 cups of apple juice 30 min on manual, with 10 min of NPR. Then finished with Stubbs BBQ sauce on broil in the oven. End result: tender fall off the bone ribs with a smoky spiced sweetened meat.

38315422912_45d52cab50_b.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I have a bunch of family recipes that I riff from. 

If you want to get really technical, Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking volumes 1 & 2 are fascinating reads. I used to watch her cooking shows, so entertaining and informative! But those are challenging books and not for the beginner cook.

Challenging doesn't even begin to describe those books.  I love, love, LOVE Julia Child.   If you want an entertaining read, check out "My Life in France"   It's an autobiography, that focuses on her life when she lived in France in the late 40's/early 50's.  What a wonderful, fufilling life she led.   A fascinating woman.  

8 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m gonna catch hell for this I’m certain, it’s acrilege to many I know, but these ribs were cooked in the Instant Pot and then finished in the oven. I used a coffee bbq rub, pulled the membranes, and then cooked in 2 cups of apple juice 30 min on manual, with 10 min of NPR. Then finished with Stubbs BBQ sauce on broil in the oven. End result: tender fall off the bone ribs with a smoky spiced sweetened meat.

38315422912_45d52cab50_b.jpg

Great food is great food, regardless of the cooking method.   Looks good!!

• Like 3

This is what I’m talking about with these videos. I used to think “Chicken cordon bleu, I’ll never learn to cook that!” 

This isn’t rocket science folks, just some basic steps and a couple hints along the way make ALL the difference. Just tell me, after watching this video that you couldn’t do anytging shown.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Challenging doesn't even begin to describe those books.  I love, love, LOVE Julia Child.   If you want an entertaining read, check out "My Life in France"   It's an autobiography, that focuses on her life when she lived in France in the late 40's/early 50's.  What a wonderful, fufilling life she led.   A fascinating woman.  

Great food is great food, regardless of the cooking method.   Looks good!!

Another book to put on my reading list! Thanks for your suggestion! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ribs....in the oven....you?! Are you going to start smoking White Owls too?

9792.gif

• 2 weeks later...