Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What poignant moments from film or TV have always stuck with you?

Morrison J

For old school folks, how about the locker room speech by Gayle Sayers about Brian Piccolo:

More personally, my son and his friends were the same age as 'Andy' in the Toy Story series.  I can remember taking him to see it in the movies for the first time and all of his friends had the movie and watched it many, many times.  By the end of the third movie, he is going to college, and the script writers kept the age true, as my son and his friends were going to college about the same time the movie was released.  They all went to see Toy Story 3 on its debut and loved it.

We had a giant party for their graduation (12 of them).  I made a slide show for them that ended with this (always makes me cry when I watch it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZNZjSJco0

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I saw that.

Same, I watched it on it's first airing with my mom after dinner. We were completely silent for about 2 minutes before we both finally lost it and began to heap affection on our dog to help get us through it.

That cartoon has made me cry more than any live-action piece of film or television combined. Futurama always knew how to tug on those heartstrings.

maxresdefault.jpg

A few from the shawshank redemption & 1 from a TV movie most probably haven't heard of.

Shawshank: first scene; when Andy plays the record over the PA, and the camera pans over the men in the yard.

Second scene; the big one, the shot where the warden's arm goes through the poster.

Then, from a TV movie called the Jehricho(?) Mile, with William Hurt. About a guy in jail who can break a 4 minute mile, almost gets a chance to tryout for the Olympic team but gets the opportunity taken away from him. He runs in the final scene after he finds out he got screwed & smashes a stopwatch on the prison wall showing a 3:50 time.

the last of the mohicans: the last 10 minutes or so

Up: memories montage

saving private ryan: knife kill scene

hugo: "maybe that's why a broken machine always makes me a little sad, because it isn't able to do what it was meant to do... Maybe it's the same with people. If you lose your purpose, it's like you're broken."

the lion king: death of mufasa

trainspotting: child death during heroin binge

blow/iceman: ending credits where you realize that the protagonists have lost the things they've cared about the most.

no country for old men: thinking about the opening lines after watching the movie.

Movies: The scene in the Godfather where Vito and Michael are talking in the garden. The line "I never wanted this for you, Michael," has struck a chord for me. I'm a sucker for father-son scenes like that.

TV: I'm actually going to go with a scene from Justice League Unlimited (Cartoon Network). It's a long backstory, but basically, Batman/Bruce Wayne helps a young girl through an aneurysm, not only saving the world but helping the girl through a terrible death. 

That cartoon has made me cry more than any live-action piece of film or television combined. Futurama always knew how to tug on those heartstrings.

Between Jurassic Bark, The Luck of the Fryrish (when he thinks his brother stole his name and all his life goals, only for it to be his nephew), and Game of Tones (where he gets to visit his mom in her dreams to let her know he's OK), it's hard to fathom just how much a comedy show can utterly wreck you emotionally when you're not ready for it.

Movies: The scene in the Godfather where Vito and Michael are talking in the garden. The line "I never wanted this for you, Michael," has struck a chord for me. I'm a sucker for father-son scenes like that.

Supposedly this scene was inspired by the biblical account at the end of David's life where he advises Solomon on which people he will have to have killed immediately after David dies to ensure that Solomon gets the throne...one of those biblical narratives that they carefully avoid teaching kids about in Sunday school. ;)

At the end of Rocky I the 14th round. Creed drops Rocky with a vicious uppercut. He hits the canvas and Mickey tells him to stay down.

I'm not even talking about when he gathered the strength to get up. Just watching the relationship between the characters evolve to that point.

1) Contact, the entire sequence when Jodi Foster goes through the wormhole, and meets [ certain character, won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it]

2) What Dreams May Come- Chris finds his son, Ian, in Heaven. Also, Chris` eulogy at Ian's funeral

3) Titanic - Rose reunites with Jack at the grand staircase of the Titanic, along with the entire crew, at the end of the movie.

4) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Li Mu Bai`s death/confession to Shu Lien... Shu Lien spares Jiao Long

5) Glory - The soldiers storm Ft Wagner

6) The Fellowship Of The Ring- Boromir keeps his honor by defending Merry and Pippin from the Uruk Hai

7) Of Mice And Men - George kills Lenny

8) Godfather Pt II - Michael orders the death of Fredo

9) Signs - Morgan is attacked/"Swing away, Merrill"

10) T2:Judgment Day - "One more chip"

the last 15 minutes of Mohicans, from the time the epic music started when the British officer was burned alive to the time Magua feels that battle axe through his stomach.

I used to drag race my heavily modified crown victoria back in 2001-2003, and every time I lined up at the trees at the drag strip, i'd BLAST the last of the mohicans theme while doing my burnout.  that **** got me pumped and ready for war.  between the epic orchestra strings in the song blaring, mixed in with the roar of a big ass v8, i got goosebumps every time.  Yanni is the man.

Archived