Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What poignant moments from film or TV have always stuck with you?

Morrison J

1.  The final 2 minutes of Rudy has me in tears every time:  Rudy being placed on the field, getting the sack, being carried off the field by teammates, his family, his friends, the defensive coaches & and the stadium janitor being so happy for him...it all signifies so much.  I love an underdog triumph story.

2.  The little girl wearing red in Schindler's List

3.  I'll think of some more...

Most of the good ones have been mentioned already, specifically Henry's death in MASH,

So I;ll add

9-11. Not fiction, but I never will forget a single image.

The death of Chuckles the Clown on Mary Tyler Moore.. he was dressed as Peter Peanut for a parade and was shelled by a rogue elephant.

"A little song,, a little dance,,, a little seltzer down your pants."

Edith's rape on All in the Family

and of course, the moment Daffy realizes that it is indeed duck season.

~Bang

Anybody ever watch a British comedy called "Blackadder?"   Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), Hugh Laurie (House), and Stephen Fry (tons of stuff) all starred in it.  Atkinson was the main character, a manipulative cowardly cynic.  It is excellent, and very funny.

It had four seasons.  The first was set in the Middle Ages, the second was set in Elizabethan times, the third was set in the early 1800s, and the last season was set in the trenches during WWI.

The last episode of season 4 is truly memorable and heartbreaking.  

I'm sure all you guys will agree with this, but the final scene in the Sex & the City when Mr. Big's real name came up on Carrie's caller ID  Truly moving.  Left me depressed.  I had to drown my sorrows in cosmopolitans every night for a week to just get by...

Ok, sorry, I will think of something that's truly poignant.  I really was depressed when the series ended though.  True story.

Anybody ever watch a British comedy called "Blackadder?"   Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), Hugh Laurie (House), and Stephen Fry (tons of stuff) all starred in it.  Atkinson was the main character, a manipulative cowardly cynic.  It is excellent, and very funny.

It had four seasons.  The first was set in the Middle Ages, the second was set in Elizabethan times, the third was set in the early 1800s, and the last season was set in the trenches during WWI.

The last episode of season 4 is truly memorable and heartbreaking.  

I tried to watch that show a couple of weeks ago... Netflix gave it 5 stars for me...

i could not last 5 minutes.  

just

plain 

could

not

Mulholland Drive....the entire thing. The best "mind ****" movie I've ever seen. It was such a weird but brilliant movie, it was after this movie that I realized David Lynch is a genius.

Leaving Las Vegas. Cage destroyed it. I know many folks consider alcoholics and drug addicts to be weak people, but the internal struggle and pain is indeed real. I watched this movie while I was in rehab for alcohol abuse, and watching Nick Cage meltdown and lose himself to the bottle was like watching myself....again Niagara Falls. :(

The Rape Scene in Irreversible was very difficult to watch :(

This scene right here from Apollo 13 because I remember watching it on t.v. as it happened. 

It's not poignant or dramatic,but man as a kid playing baseball for all those years,(few of them as a pitcher even),this scene from Major League has been one I've remembered since it came out. The reason was as a friend of mine said back then. "How many times as a kid did you dream of doing something like that?"  :)  

Major geek alert, here.  But the ones that jump out, to me, right now? 

1)  Scotty flying Kirk around the rebuilt Enterprise in The Motion Picture. 

2)  Spock's death in Wrath of Kahn.  And Nimoy doing "Space.  The final frontier". 

3)  Don't know really how to describe it, but the "Life aboard Discovery" segment of 2001.  The astronauts going about their daily lives.  Jogging around the carousel.  Playing pre-recorded Happy Birthday messages from home, that they can't respond to, because of the lightspeed delay.  Eating.  Playing chess.  I think that part of what makes it is the music, the Gayane Ballet Suite, which I think has got to be the loneliest music I've ever heard. 

4)  Oh.  ET's departure.  In fact, probably the whole ending of that movie.  The ending of Close Encounters was really good, too. 

The end of Dexter Season 4.  One of the greatest seasons of television I have ever seen.  And the end...just wow.  My wife and I just sat there in stunned silence for a few minutes when that one was over.

Someone already said the first few minutes of Up. That was one of the first that jumped into my mind.

I tried to watch that show a couple of weeks ago... Netflix gave it 5 stars for me...

i could not last 5 minutes.  

just

plain 

could

not

You mean that particular episode, or the entire show?

If you are going to watch the entire show, skip season 1, which was very uneven.   Seasons 2-4 are great.

that 5 minutes was the only bit that i have.  Frankly it was a miracle that i lasted 5 minutes.  

It was like sitting in the principal's office, sitting on broken glass, with one foot in scalding hot water, and one foot encased in ice, when i had to pee, with the Eagles playing on the radio 

i HAD to get the helloutofthere

Archived