Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Cosby ... There is smoke.

Kosher Ham

• 4 months later...

Cosby Claims He's Not A Public Figure To Keep Embarrassing Docs Sealed

Bill Cosby, who has sold out arenas, who has been televised into millions of homes, who lectured America on the virtues of buckled pants, who has spoken at rally after rally, who has served on the board of trustees of a public university, claims he is not a public figure. Or rather, that’s the argument his lawyers make in a brief they hope will convince a federal judge to keep under seal a number of potentially embarrassing records from a sexual assault lawsuit.

The suit is from 2005, when Andrea Constand went to Philadelphia police with allegations that Cosby had drugged and raped her while she was the director of operations for the women’s basketball team at Temple University. Prosecutors didn’t file charges, citing a lack of evidence, and Constand brought a civil case in federal court. It was settled for an undisclosed amount. The parts of the lawsuit open to public view revealed the inner workings of the American celebrity scandal machine: how the National Enquirer quashed the story of another Cosby rape accusation in return for an exclusive talk with the star; how Cosby’s team tried to shame Constand via anonymous leaks to the media; how mega-agency William Morris’s defensive maneuvers included, apparently, a payout to one of Cosby’s “Jane Doe” accusers.

But 13 filings have been kept under seal, at the direction of a judge. On Dec. 29, 2014, the Associated Press—which twice tried unsuccessfully to fight seals in the suit while it was ongoing—asked the court to open the records, citing a local rule for the court district that says seals are lifted after two years unless there’s an objection. Soon enough an objection arrived from Cosby’s lawyers. What follows is their logic as it’s presented in their legal brief.

As they argue it, Cosby isn’t a “public person”; these documents are of “no legitimate public interest”; in fact, there is a “a complete lack of legitimate public interest in the subject matter.” As Cosby’s legal team puts it: “This case did not concern a public official, a public company, or other matters of legitimate public concern. Rather, it was a private dispute between two individuals over their personal relationship.” They ask the judge to ignore Cosby’s fame, his fortune, his media pulpit, his lectures, his position with a public university, all on the grounds that he isn’t paid with tax dollars. Cosby, they argue, “is an entertainer, not a public servant.”

Click on the link for the full article

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-cosby-said-got-drugs-women-sex-212247466.html

Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people," according to documents obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The AP had gone to court to compel the release of the documents; Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

The 77-year-old comedian was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by a former Temple University employee. He testified he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl.

Cosby settled that sexual-abuse lawsuit for undisclosed terms in 2006. His lawyers in the Philadelphia case did not immediately return phone calls Monday.

Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people," 

Why did he not serve prison time for this?

I am glad that I long ago learned to separate the artist from their art. Fat Albert and the Cosby Show hold an important place in our cultural history. Cosby early standup mattered too.

The man, it seems, has very brittle clay feet.

Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he got Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and he admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman and "other people,"

Great question

Another American icon exposed as a pure sociopath

So crazy how many ppl blindly believed in him despite the mound of evidence

Hero worship is crazy. Even if you were raised by the Cosby show, you should still be able to separate Cliff Huxtable from Bill Cosby.

I hope those who helped him cover his tracks are also exposed for the reprehensible pieces of **** that they are.

• Like 1

because he has a lot of money.

I'd temper the urgings I'm reading, in here, towards tarring everybody in the vicinity with a broad brush.

Even serial rapists have friends, family members, co workers. People who will defend him, not out of "rape culture", or some desire that celebrities must hang together, or whatever. But because they think they know the guy, and the guy they have in their heads isn't the guy who's being accused.

• Like 2

I'd temper the urgings I'm reading, in here, towards tarring everybody in the vicinity with a broad brush.

Even serial rapists have friends, family members, co workers. People who will defend him, not out of "rape culture", or some desire that celebrities must hang together, or whatever. But because they think they know the guy, and the guy they have in their heads isn't the guy who's being accused.

or because they were waiting for something aside from x number of people say you did it (all of them independent events.)

it is funny watching people go "how could you not believe it, x many woman came forward?!"

well, some of us have higher standards that need to be met before labeling someone a rapist.

Yeah but ppl defend Cosby just because he wore a sweater and was a funny dad...ON TV

It's not just that he was a funny dad on TV. Bill Cosby has done a lot of good work throughout the years. He maybe sick, but I still agree with a lot of what he has said in the past.

Actually, Larry is spot on in this assessment.

Years ago, police finally caught the BTK.  He was just an ordinary guy, living a normal suburban life.  His friends, family, and people at church all thought he was a great guy.

These sociopaths are very good at covering up their desires and letting most folks see only what they want them to see.

so, all this time, when he had his nose up in the air while criticizing black america....this POS was drugging and raping women.

not that I believed he was innocent to begin with, but now that the cat's out of the bag, he better not ever speak on anything again.  ever. 

**** Dr. Huxtable.  at least we still got Uncle Phil.  (rip)

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1