Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets just lay the cards out. Do you believe Griffin is still our savior?

RichmondRedskin88

389 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still think Griffin is the franchise savior?

• Yes. He will overcome these injures and bring this franchise back.
    • No. The injures will be too much. He will be gone in the next few years.

100% provided he stays healthy.

He's only worked with a subpar offensive line and a receiving corps that commands little respect. 

I don't care what anyone says but Rodgers, Brees etc wouldn't have fared much better IMO.

No cohesiveness among the offense, definitely aided by injuries and dysfunction. 

Garcon and DJAX and Jordan Reed (when healthy) command little respect? i think they deserve a lot of respect from defenses. they are pretty good.

I said RG3 has only worked with a receiving corps that commands little respect. 

He's only played with Djax for a game and Jordan Reed because of injuries and benching maybe 2? Even Garcon has suffered from his fair share of injuries but he was essentially the only vertical threat RG3 had to work with unless you want to include Aldrick "Djax UBER-lite" Robinson and Stankerson in the mix.

I said RG3 has only worked with a receiving corps that commands little respect. 

He's only played with Djax for a game and Jordan Reed because of injuries and benching maybe 2? Even Garcon has suffered from his fair share of injuries but he was essentially the only vertical threat RG3 had to work with unless you want to include Aldrick "Djax UBER-lite" Robinson and Stankerson in the mix.

ohh you meant last year. you are correct, he's only had 1 game and 2 series with DJAX and a healthy Garcon this season so that wouldnt really be much to judge off of i guess.

Don't need him to be the saviour. He just needs to move the ball and score points, and be accountable. And protect himself.

He has the rest of this season and next year to prove himself, imo. If he is still a giant question mark at that point, then obviously he's not the guy.

But I believe that he will be. He just needs time.

NEVER doubted that he was anything but our franchise QB.

The same way I've NEVER doubted that he'll go down as one of the all time greats when it's all said and done.

Single most talented, exciting player I've seen wear our colours in 33 years of following the B&G. And man have I seen some great ones.  

Once the growing pains of turning his whole game around into a pocket passer first QB are over he'll be unplayable.

Wouldn't swap him for ANY other QB in the league. Honestly.

Hail.

I think no so much the actual poll but the comments have shown how cynical the fan base has become. We have convinced he has flaws that are unique to him that are fundemental in the game and we in my opinion are believing in ghosts. 

That is I am not saying he does not have flaws but his skills far outweigh limitations from what I have seen. 

Every QB has ebbs and flows good plays and bad plays. Just because a football player has a bad play it does not mean they are a bad football player. 

One thing that kind of disappoints me is the experience of 2013 seems to have beaten RGIIIs public persona up a bit - Some people say he has matured but really i see it as that wide eyed innocence of youth has been replaced with a gruffer cynical outer coating. 

Look forward to seeing him playing again... 

Ohh yes GHH you are slacking where is your good bad and ugly thread of this game .... 

No QB can save this team behind this line, but if RG3 can utilize his legs, he may have the best chance. If we can replace Chester, and Compton continues to play well, I think we could be a decent team with any of our QBs.

Unfortunately, if RG3 relies on his legs too much, he is another injury waiting to happen.

I'm not so sure that the word 'savior' is the proper word to use.

It almost leads one to believe that its an 'all or nothing' belief' in him, as if he is some mythical entity.

He's not.

What is he? A very gifted, talented, injury-prone QB. His dynamics of what makes him good is the same thing that makes him a liability, a.k.a. do-or-die.

He had a great rookie season, no question, but it wasn't Griffin and Griffin alone who had a part in it; Morris was a true gem, an unknown bonus which enabled Griffin to utilize his skills to be successful.

Savior puts Griffin on a pedestal; people on pedestals separate fan bases, creates diffusion in locker rooms, and eventually turns the team upside down. What Griffin SHOULD be is a good/very good/great QB for this team, and his tenure here will be determined by his health, because the skills are there.

But by no means should this turn into another square peg beaten into a round hole. If he struggles, we can't finger point at o-line, WRs, etc, then insert another QB and lay blame on that QB instead of the same problems given for him.

Griffin is a football player, not the second coming.

I think he has a chance to do it too but I don't think he will last. We need a franchise QB to start 16 games a year including playoffs.

I don't think he's going to be able to stop himself from making reckless decisions like the one he last got injured making.

please point to the reckless decision for this one.

No QB can save this team behind this line, but if RG3 can utilize his legs, he may have the best chance. If we can replace Chester, and Compton continues to play well, I think we could be a decent team with any of our QBs.

Unfortunately, if RG3 relies on his legs too much, he is another injury waiting to happen.

Funny thing is I don't think he scrambles more than any other QB that has that ability, look at Colt there was maybe 4 or 5 times in the game Monday where he had to scramble or move outside of the pocket. RG has just had some fluke injuries, trying to convert 3rd and long.

The concussion against Atlanta he slid late and got hit in the head, against Baltimore he slid awkwardly with his leg in the air and it got hit, in the playoff game against Seattle, running out of bounds tweaked the knee prior to throwing a TD, then finally tore it reaching for a bad snap, and against Jacksonville after a beautiful 60+ yard pass to Djax that should have been ruled a catch got wiped out, he escapes to buy time to complete another 3rd down play launching himself off that ankle to make the throw going out of bounds and dislocates it.

Gruden is making it known Griffin is close to returning.  The question is does everyone still believe he is the one to save this franchise?  In 2012 it seemed like everyone thought he was.  2 years and a few injuries later that belief seems to have taken a real hit. 

So let's just lay it out here. 

Do you believe he's the franchise man?  Or do you think we will soon be looking for a new QB to turn the franchise around?

Do you still think Griffin is the franchise savior?
  1. Yes. He will overcome these injures and bring this franchise back.
  2. No. The injures will be too much. He will be gone in the next few years.

For me it has never been about Griffin "saving the franchise".

Only the front office and management team can "save the franchise."

With that said, I have never wavered in my belief that Griffin could become a franchise QB and eventually a top 10 or better QB.

I believe that Griffin will overcome his injuries (he's almost ready to play soon) and I think he will finish the season strong and put up good numbers when he plays.

I'm glad McCoy played lights out against Dallas. It will put the pressure on Rg3 to perform because he knows that if he stinks it up, Gruden will have him riding the pine. He definitely wants to avoid being in the doghouse next to Cousins, so I expect Rg3 to go back to 2012 form soon.

For the record, McCoy played well. Maybe very well. Not lights out.

Ben Rothlisburger played lights out. Peyton has been playing lights out.

He played very well. 300 yards, efficient, got a rushing TD and a pick.

You know the closest emulation of McCoy this season by a Skins QB? Griffin in week 1. Against a MUCH better defense.

Very efficient, high completion percentage, 1 turnover (fumble on the exchange with Morris) and put up 17 points. Same number as monday night in regulation.

It's fascinating that people were lambasting Griffin after week 1 and lauding McCoy for basically the same game.

I will say that McCoys performance was more impressive in that he's the third string QB. Bigger stage. But he had a lesser defense to go against.

It's interesting how the goalposts move.

Griffin has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league. McCoy doesn't.

Yes, I still believe in him.

If he can emulate McCoy only with the bigger arm, yeah he can. He just has to stop trying to do everything on every single play. 

Absolutely. IMO this is Robert's biggest fault. Instead of playing within the offense and dare I say it "managing the game" he tries to hit the home run every drop back. If he does just manage the game and let his teammates make plays on offense, then the big plays will come. He just has to be patient.

Strange poll wording. No single player can be a "savior". QB's are important but it's still a TEAM game.

RGIII will return and do well. How well? Don't know.

Exactly. Football is not a sport where anyone can single-handedly save a franchise. Basketball is really the only sport where that is possible.

Having said that, Griff is our best chance at having an elite QB, which is the most important position on the field. He's got the right mental makeup and the right physical tools, IMO. Now he has to put everything together, and that may take a little time. I still believe in him because I like the way he approaches the game, and he has a tremendous amount of talent.

If they could craft an offense around him then I would have voted yes. But since they/he want to run a pro offense then I voted no. I just don't believe that he has the feel for the pro game like the great QB's do. Then throw in the injury thing and I just don't see it. He'll never be Aaron Rodgers and with the price that was paid to get him, he needs to be that kind of guy. 

I never believed he was our savior and that's not what needs to happen here. RG3 is a very talented quarterback who needs to tweak his game for the NFL. I believe he can do that, provided he stays healthy.

There is no "savior" on a 53 man roster. The coach is the closest we can come to that.

I think the whole idea of a "savior" for a football team is a fallacy.  No QB does it by themselves, nor anyone else.  Even a coach can't do it if he can't get the players he needs to succeed.

That's been a problem from a fan perspective here for years.  We bring in someone and it is expected that person is the one to get us to the promised land.  Then we get disappointed that the person can't be the super hero we put him up to be and the negativity starts. We just need to have people across the board to be able to do their jobs.

Can RG3 be the guy who can be the long-term solution at QB?  Of course he can. So can Cousins.  Even McCoy could be the guy.  What we need is someone to actually go out there and prove it.  The preference would be for RG3 to be the guy, not just because of what we have invested in him, but because of his talent.  But, first and foremost we need someone who can run the offense and throw the ball where it needs to be.

I don't think it's a definitive thing.

But I'm more confident that he will be our Franchise QB than I'm not.

70 / 30 type of thing.

I think the only thing that really derails it is another injury OR a stubborness on the part of either the staff or himself to not use the gifts that make him such a unique talent.

All the other noise regarding reading defenses or pocket awareness or whatever else...that doesn't really phase me. I saw enough in year 1 to know he can do those things, and I think highly enough of his football IQ and work ethic to believe he can improve on it.

But you can't really improve your ability to stay healthy in a significant way (once you're at peak physical shape as is) and you can't really fix shackles you put on youreslf.

So I'm more confident than not, but I definitely don't think it's a lock.

Believe? That's a dangerous word to link to this franchise. Every ounce of success proves to be temporary and immediately followed by disappointment for the Redskins. RG3 is no exception. I hope he turns out to be great, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Archived