Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets just lay the cards out. Do you believe Griffin is still our savior?

RichmondRedskin88

389 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still think Griffin is the franchise savior?

• Yes. He will overcome these injures and bring this franchise back.
    • No. The injures will be too much. He will be gone in the next few years.

Is it too much of a stretch to think he may just be an average QB that can play elite every few games?

I'm not saying that's the final verdict but it's like everyone here thinks he's either Jesus or John Beck

Agreed. Which is strange, because when Griffin went down in week 2 I know the both of us were highly critical of him; saying he was too slow to throw, wasn't reading defenses, etc.

But today, I wasn't on ES the entire game and when I did after the game, I was kind of surprised to see everyone throwing RG3 under the bus. He wasn't horrendous today. He wasn't great either. He was just kind of an average QB. I was more upset that Haslett didn't bring more than 4 guys to pressure Bridgewater the entire game.

I don't think it's time to give up on Griffin. But I'm also not going out and saying he's the franchise savior either. He's basically what he's shown he is. Average.

He will be good, I have faith.  For once, let's just stick with a QB.  It seems like a lot of people wants to hit the reset button immediately after something goes wrong.  I mean come on, let the kid develop.  How often have we seen somebody leave the skins and play well somewhere else?  We have draft picks, let's work on other parts of this team, like defense and oline and let the QB DEVELOPE!!!  

We all know it deep inside; bust. 

We'll go through the motions this year. He might stay healthy. We'll probably win 5-6 games.

Then, year 4 the pressure rises even more. This is it - contract year for him. 

And I admittedly have to say, my faith in RG3 in year 4 is about as much faith as I have in him on a game winning drive in the 4th quarter. Not very high. 

He could use a better OLine though, no doubt. 

Yes the defense is a mess, yes the offensive line needs to be better in pass pro, but this thread is about Griffin.

Here's my objective analysis of Griff in his first game back:

The good:

1. He has a great deep ball.  It was nice to see a QB who can hit our speedster in stride deep. Triplesticks has an arm.

2. He looks like he has his speed back.  A couple of his runs were very good.

3. He is doing a much better job sliding to avoid contact when he does run.

4. The touchdown was a dart.

5. Decent completion percentage and QB rating.

The bad:

1. He is holding the ball WAY too long.  A lot of the hits he took were his fault.  He has to get that thing out faster.  I don't know if guys aren't getting open, he isn't getting through his progressions fast enough, or what, but you simply cannot expect to have 4-5 seconds to throw in the NFL.

2. The pick at the end of the half was inexcusable.  He needs to have better awareness of the situation there.  A punt would have been fine.  That INT was probably the difference in the game.

3. He missed a few throws because he didn't set his feet.  The last throw was an obvious instance of this.  His mechanics are looking kind of iffy.

Overall it was a so-so performance for Griffin.  I think we need to try to develop him based on what we invested and the obvious physical talent, but he does need to develop if he is going to be the guy we all hoped for.

Great analysis.  I also think had Garcon caught the gift in stride it was a sure 7.  Not liking the Griffin-Garcon relationship all. It is missing something.  

I am okay with Griffin for this game but agree he has to get that ball out quicker.  If the Defense showed up like it did against Dalass we win.  The Offense played good enough to win. Defense played badly enough to lose.   

Here's my opinion.

RG3 will never be 2012 RG3 again.

RG3 will never be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

But RG3 WILL be a good QB, and hopefully it is for the Redskins.  He will be better than Andy Dalton.  He will be as good as, if not better than Donovan McNabb, Matt Schaub.  We will need to supply him with the proper team.  We already have the weapons on offense.  We just need to get lucky with reloading the offensive line and secondary next season, and KEEP Jay Gruden.

BTW, I know we all hate McNabb, but I see a lot of similarities between the two.  Diva-ness.  Throwing balls into the dirt.  Mobile QBs that want to establish themselves as pocket passers.  Durability concerns.  McNabb was a dick at the end, but you can't argue that he didn't help the Eagles win.  I expect that much from RG3.

**** Haslett.

Outside of the one play where he rolled to the left sideline and ended up getting sacked, what are all of the 4-5 second plays where he held the ball too long and got sacked?

I know several times he was sacked under 2 seconds wth no chance to throw it away. I don't want him chucking the ball up to avoid hits regardless of WRs being open like Cousins.

If you didn't see improvement with his pocket presence and hanging in collapsing pockets to deliver balls on strike, I don't really think we were watching the same game. Improvement was evident.

He screwed the throw at the end no doubt.

I still have grave concerns about his durability.  He took a quite a beating today and looked like he was close to significant injury a number of times.  I believe the poor throw at the end was due to an issue with his throwing shoulder from a hit a few plays earlier.  I would be inclined to explore trades/deals and maybe go a different direction in the off-season.  Im nowhere near ready to offer him an extension right now.

Colt has not had the benefit of more than 1 year in the same playbook w/ the same coaches. Completely green to the first team he comes in and leads the team to a win in Tenn. After 1 full week of practice w/ the first team, on arguably the biggest stage of his career plays well enough to win...Yes a great team win that wouldnt have happened w/ out stellar defensive play, but a win none the less....thats the funny thing about playing well enough to win...you win the game. Colt would have played well enough to win this game. He certainly would not have missed the guy 10 yds in front of him on 4-6 when the game was on the line. Who knows how the rest of the season will go for this team, but If there is a QB comp next year I wouldnt bet against a guy that completes 80% of his passes after 1 week of practice.

Here's my opinion.

RG3 will never be 2012 RG3 again.

RG3 will never be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

But RG3 WILL be a good QB, and hopefully it is for the Redskins.  He will be better than Andy Dalton.  He will be as good as, if not better than Donovan McNabb, Matt Schaub.  We will need to supply him with the proper team.  We already have the weapons on offense.  We just need to get lucky with reloading the offensive line and secondary next season, and KEEP Jay Gruden.

BTW, I know we all hate McNabb, but I see a lot of similarities between the two.  Diva-ness.  Throwing balls into the dirt.  Mobile QBs that want to establish themselves as pocket passers.  Durability concerns.  McNabb was a dick at the end, but you can't argue that he didn't help the Eagles win.  I expect that much from RG3.

**** Haslett.

This is a fair analysis.

Unfortunately, that would be a failure in my opinion.

Because of his cost, anything less than a Super Bowl appearance doesn't cut the mustard. 

Injuries have already taken their toll on the guy... His ACL retear took away some of the juice he had. He got up slow several times today and seems to be a magnet for bone chilling shots. I just don't think he will last especially behind this offensive line. Dude looks like a crash test dummy week after week like the league has a bounty on him. 

Outside of the one play where he rolled to the left sideline and ended up getting sacked, what are all of the 4-5 second plays where he held the ball too long and got sacked?

I know several times he was sacked under 2 seconds wth no chance to throw it away. I don't want him chucking the ball up to avoid hits regardless of WRs being open like Cousins.

If you didn't see improvement with his pocket presence and hanging in collapsing pockets to deliver balls on strike, I don't really think we were watching the same game. Improvement was evident.

He screwed the throw at the end no doubt.

I agree he was doing a better job stepping into the pocket today, but it seemed to me like his releases were late. I can't say for sure until I watch it again, but I think he needs to get through his reads and decide a tick faster.

You're supposed to step up and throw, he did a good job stepping up, but on a lot of plays he seemed to forget the throw part. Again, there could be a lot of reasons for that, maybe guys weren't getting open, so it isn't necessarily his fault. Still, it sure looked to me like the clock in his head was running a little slow.

Colt has not had the benefit of more than 1 year in the same playbook w/ the same coaches. Completely green to the first team he comes in and leads the team to a win in Tenn. After 1 full week of practice w/ the first team, on arguably the biggest stage of his career plays well enough to win...Yes a great team win that wouldnt have happened w/ out stellar defensive play, but a win none the less....thats the funny thing about playing well enough to win...you win the game. Colt would have played well enough to win this game. He certainly would not have missed the guy 10 yds in front of him on 4-6 when the game was on the line. Who knows how the rest of the season will go for this team, but If there is a QB comp next year I wouldnt bet against a guy that completes 80% of his passes after 1 week of practice.

This is why Redskins now have the worst fanbase in history!!!!!  We are saying Colt would have played better.....  RG3 led us to 3 consecutive scoring drives....  We have not done that all year except Jacksonville... But it was RG3's fault

I watch every week he plays, HOPING to see that spark I saw in 2012. There were a couple MOMENTS today, a couple in the Jags game, but ultimately, it's always a letdown. Ultimately, he is missing that spark. He still makes some great throws, has some good moments of escapability, but he just doesn't strike me as a leader anymore. I have no faith in him, no confidence that he will bring us down the field when the game is on the line. 

It's really disappointing and depressing to see what's become of this guy from the perspective of what he once did and what he does now. And it's only been just under two years since he did all those things. 

Despite the HORRENDOUS defense today, he had the chance to drive us down the field at the end. The game was in his hands, and plays were THERE to be made. It wasn't like he was being asked to perform some sort of miracle. Just hit a guy who's open on a short pattern. Just really disappointing that he's not coming through in those clutch moments. So far, the only QB who has is Colt. 

There was something really off about him in 2013 demeanor-wise. He just didn't seem to have "it" anymore. I chalked it up to the injury, but as the season wore on, it seemed like something much more than that. And that's the same vibe he continues to give off. 

But hey, at least he has his own logo. Awesome. 

I watch every week he plays, HOPING to see that spark I saw in 2012. There were a couple MOMENTS today, a couple in the Jags game, but ultimately, it's always a letdown. Ultimately, he is missing that spark. He still makes some great throws, has some good moments of escapability, but he just doesn't strike me as a leader anymore. I have no faith in him, no confidence that he will bring us down the field when the game is on the line. 

It's really disappointing and depressing to see what's become of this guy from the perspective of what he once did and what he does now. And it's only been just under two years since he did all those things. 

Three QBs on this team and only one has yet to win us a game. Our starter. Pathetic. 

Despite the HORRENDOUS defense today, he had the chance to drive us down the field at the end. The game was in his hands, and plays were THERE to be made. It wasn't like he was being asked to perform some sort of miracle. Just hit a guy who's open on a short pattern. Just really disappointing that he's not coming through in those clutch moments. So far, the only QB who has is Colt. 

There was something really off about him in 2013 demeanor-wise. He just didn't seem to have "it" anymore. I chalked it up to the injury, but as the season wore on, it seemed like something much more than that. And that's the same vibe he continues to give off. 

But hey, at least he has his own logo. Awesome. 

technically Griffin got us the win against the jaguars ;)

the only reason for that though is because the wins go to the starters. so RG3 this season is 1-2.

You're supposed to step up and throw, he did a good job stepping up, but on a lot of plays he seemed to forget the throw part. Again, there could be a lot of reasons for that, maybe guys weren't gettung open, so it isn't necessarily his fault. Still, it sure looked to me like the clock in his head was running a little slow.

That made me laugh. I still think that's the problem that's plagued him his entire time in the NFL. He just won't throw unless someone is "college open." Unfortunately the NFL doesn't work that way, and you have to throw to a guy even if he's not 2 steps ahead of the DB.

I will say he had a flash of what I thought was that speed when we were around the 10 yard line and he had a little burst towards the goal line. But that was the only time it's seemed like he's still got a spark of 2012 RG3.

My biggest concern with RG3 is what a few people have alluded to so far: his durability. He may never get hurt again, but I swear he just looks like an injury waiting to happen. It may just be all in my head, but every time he gets sacked I get a sinking feeling in my stomach that he'll be done for the year.

Cards laid out!!!...there you go rg3 not getting it done again...holds on to the ball to long in the pocket..giving the ball away a crucial times. ..sorry not impressed. .Colt McCoy should have got the start and I dare to say if he did it would have been another win...also hasslet went back to his old ways... so there you go thats the difference between a contender and a 3-13 team...Not to bright are ya!!!!!

Archived