Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail To Bashaud Breeland!

CrypticVillain

He also had a great break up on a deep shot to Williams towards the end of the 1st qtr, the play before the Randle fumble. I don't think that one has been mentioned yet.

If he can continue to progress and keep out of trouble off the field we will be in great shape moving forward.

We could end up with back to back Defensive Players of the Week.

Amerson was just as impressive. He was one-on-one with Bryant almost as often as Breeland, and totally buried him. His reaction time from Cover-3 was also impressive in the run game.

Breeland just happened to have the plays that made the highlight reel, but I can't count the number of times romoSUCKS looked to Dez, and Amerson was glued to him.

This is a Breeland thread, stay on topic...

Loving this kids composure and learning curve. Glad to see Haz get out the way and let this kid play. This is the best duo we've had since Rogers and Hall. I'm saying that based on potential and upside. Breeland appears to be playing ahead of Amerson. Looks like these two could

really push each other to a pro bowl level.

Randomly found this, nice read, not too familar with the site though

The Future of NFL Cornerbacks: http://redskinshogheaven.com/2014-articles/bashaud-breeland-david-amerson-and-the-future-of-nfl-cornerbacks.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=bashaud-breeland-david-amerson-and-the-future-of-nfl-cornerbacks

Beating the Cowboys is huge, enough to justify even a bad season.  It’s even bigger to beat them in Dallas.  Even bigger than that is doing it Monday Night Football.  Even bigger than that is being the unanimous underdog.

The biggest shocker however was the incredible performance by rookie Bashaud Breeland and 2nd year newbie David Amerson against perhaps the best offense in the NFL right now.  Even Breeland was surprised, crediting special divine assistance to his performance.

Breeland as the fourth-round pick is officially the draft steal at this point in the season.  Feeling there is a draft steal on the team lifts not just the fans but also the players, helping them feel they have an inside advantage in the razor tight NFL race.

The Redskins are still missing confidence and big plays, and Breeland is too new to the NFL and too young (both he and Amerson left college early) to know he shouldn’t be so confident.  Perhaps this is the spark of the rest of the season to help build the team’s confidence and get more players to make big plays. Time will tell.

What has become clear is that for all the horrific draft choices of the Washington Redskins, Raheem Morris has either purposely or accidentally stumbled into a Cornerback drafting strategy that could be the next bog thing in the Seahawks Secondary copycat mania.

Instead of copying the Seahawks with 6’3″ tall Cornerbacks, the Redskins took their biggest asset – very long arms – and added to that speed instead of unusual height.  They also added looking for Cornerbacks that hit like Safeties and could play Safety position in a pinch.

With the NFL’s newfound religion on defensive pass interference calling, long arms have become a crucial asset for Cornerbacks that must keep their distance.  Hitting like a Safety has become even more crucial for disrupting receivers off the line of scrimmage, the only place non-tackling Wide Receiver contact is allowed in a pass happy NFL.  That said, tackling is also key and laying a legal yet explosively hard hit can literally change the momentum of a game.

David Amerson is around 6’1.5″ with VERY long arms.  He has sub 4.4 40-meter dash speed, making him much faster than Richard Sherman.  Amerson can also lay the lumber when he hits and doesn’t shy away from tackling.

Bashaud Breeland is around 5′ 11.5″ and has VERY VERY long arms.  He clocked a slow 40 time because he was never coached in how to run the 40.  In reality, Breeland is also 4.4 runner given how he shadowed DeSean Jackson in training camp and his game speed.  And Breeland LOVES to hit and hit hard.  With those big eyes and his youthful bounciness, watching Breeland excitedly ram those big hits is like watching a dog when going after a bone.

With questions about RG3 becoming a pocket passer, Morris slowing down at RB and problems with virtually every group position, having visionary young personnel in a core position is something the Redskins can use to build.   Don’t be surprised to see other teams copy this strategy in the future.

I liked what I saw in training camp but I was afraid he was thrown into too much too soon when D.Hall went out. He had some ups and downs the past few weeks, but last night he was fantastic. The thing I like about him is his tenacity. He's a tough corner and he has some attitude, some swagger to him.

I'm impressed by Breeland since the beginning of the season and even more after this game. He looked sharp, pumped up and very focused all game long. If he keeps on playing like that, next year he'll turn these passes deflections into interceptions. Hail

Agree with the thoughts here.....Breeland and Amerson played a great game (hence the awarding of gameballs by Gruden after the game).  Both have shown flashes of playmaking ability throughout the season....especially Breeland. 

But I really love the intensity, the hitting....and the preparation that both appear to dedicate to their craft.  After the game, during an interview, Breeland mentioned studying tape of Dhall/Bryant prior to the game.  That is great, and shows personal motivation to succeed. 

Maybe the light at the end of the secondary tunnel is not the oncoming train....but actual daylight.

Question:

“You’ve got to love going against big receivers like that,” he said. “There’s a lot that they can’t do. They tell you their routes because they’ve got to come down because they’re so high up. So if you be patient and just read your receiver you get a lot of keys off of them.”

‘Quick receivers, they can come in and out of their routes with no hesitation. They don’t have to come down because they’re already low. If you’re high, you’ve got to come down. What goes up always comes down.’

What does that mean?

Archived