Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I'm gonna start looking at this list and seeing if there is an OLB with playmaking ability. I'm not talking one that gets "pressures" or "hurries" I'm talking about one that forces fumbles and makes interceptions.

I think a two OLB pass rush combo is a scheme flaw anyways.

But I'd prefer to use draft picks on other positions --- like the line(s).

Anyone have any ideas?

Weatherspoon from Atlanta. Coming off an Achilles but I always liked him, could be cheap because of that. Still young. Probably undersized for olb for us.

Edit: yeh looked a little harder, definitely would be inside in a 3-4. Still like him but not a big enough area of need.

we may keep him starting even though we know he's going to crash soon.

Having said that I do think we need to upgrade Chester - we need to get better and bigger across that line.

As an OL guy you have to look at least OK every week, or your QB won't trust you nor the space behind you.  I'm with you guys in that we need to upgrade.  When we won SBs we had a great OL.  When the Giants and their vaunted DL won SBs more recently thay too has a really good OL (could run and pass at will, against most teams) and when Peyton got smacked down in the last SB his OL was destroyed.

We know the common theme, which is what's so frustrating.  Both The Danny and The Bruce are failing football 101 and they both should know better. 

Actually they are worse than sh&$ because at least people go out of their way not to step on sh$&, where as people truck through our right side.

Next game focus for a while on the LG spot - especially on running plays. Its a bigger issue than RG IMO (which is not to say RG is not an issue).

Funny, I tend to think the opposite. I still believe RGIII will get right and that our offense is close. We must upgrade the right side of the line but I see a team that should be top 5 offense in the league.

The D perplexes me. I like Kerrigan, Robinson and Baker. I like the small sample size on Amerson and Breelamd, but, except for a small stint in 2012, they have been an embarrassment for a decade plus. Even years where stats-wise they were solid, we could count on not being able to get a stop when it mattered. I only feel like we are "close" in the sense that we always have guys close to making plays who just don't get there. If Rak had a sack on one-quarter of the plays he is close, he would have had some 15 sack seasons... He just doesn't get there.

Last season, so much talk about Robert.... For a guy on one leg I thought he was pretty good and the numbers support that. And, before we talk about garbage stats... The D and ST were so historically bad that it was always garbage time. And when teams know you must pass, downfield scores, it is much harder to.

How can you say this when we're currently ranked number 7 in the league. I'm not trying to say that our defense is top ten by all metrics, but we are a really good defense against the run and hardly an embarrassment. People just like to hate on Haslett too much.

How can you say this when we're currently ranked number 7 in the league. I'm not trying to say that our defense is top ten by all metrics, but we are a really good defense against the run and hardly an embarrassment. People just like to hate on Haslett too much.

We played the Jags, the Titans and the Texans.  Every other none **** O we have faced have put up points on us pretty easily.  Haslett is ****.

That's a ranking by total yardage allowed which is not a great measure of anything.

Football Outsiders DVOA ranking has us at 17th on defense and 20th on offense.

That's a ranking by total yardage allowed which is not a great measure of anything.

Football Outsiders DVOA ranking has us at 17th on defense and 20th on offense.

Yeah, I'm not saying that we're a top ten defense, just that we're not "an embarrassment" as posters like to point out. There are several ways to measure a defense and we're going to be really good in some, average in some, and poor in some. We're not a horrible defense though like the media and fans like to say.

The problem I have with DVOA is (1) its not a widely accepted metric, and (2) Its not intuitive. Things like yards, points, first downs, turnovers, third down %, etc. may be oversimplifying a defense, but because they're each easy to calculate we can get to the same point - that our defense is mediocre - without having to use some special formula to calculate it.

Yeah, I'm not saying that we're a top ten defense, just that we're not "an embarrassment" as posters like to point out. There are several ways to measure a defense and we're going to be really good in some, average in some, and poor in some. We're not a horrible defense though like the media and fans like to say.

The problem I have with DVOA is (1) its not a widely accepted metric, and (2) Its not intuitive. Things like yards, points, first downs, turnovers, third down %, etc. may be oversimplifying a defense, but because they're each easy to calculate we can get to the same point - that our defense is mediocre - without having to use some special formula to calculate it.

I agree there are issues with DVOA but its a much better metric than say total yardage. I think a ranking of our defense as around league average seems about right to me. I also think its a good coaching job to have us at that level because I don't think we are league average in terms of talent on the defensive side of the ball - and not in a good way!

I'd say there are only 4 players on our defense who would start on a really good unit (and one of them is hurt!) - Kerrigan, Hatcher, Cofield and Robinson. Amerson and Breeland would be say the 3rd and 4th corners and Baker and possibly Jenkins would be depth. (I've left Hall and Orakpo out as they are on IR - both would be marginal starters on a good defense IMO).

I agree there are issues with DVOA but its a much better metric than say total yardage. I think a ranking of our defense as around league average seems about right to me. I also think its a good coaching job to have us at that level because I don't think we are league average in terms of talent on the defensive side of the ball - and not in a good way!

I'd say there are only 4 players on our defense who would start on a really good unit (and one of them is hurt!) - Kerrigan, Hatcher, Cofield and Robinson. Amerson and Breeland would be say the 3rd and 4th corners and Baker and possibly Jenkins would be depth. (I've left Hall and Orakpo out as they are on IR - both would be marginal starters on a good defense IMO).

Yeah, but I also think about the number of arguments that people made when Haslett was first hired stating why he wasn't a good defensive coordinator. Most of those were based on the yards per game ranking. So seeing us rank highly in that ranking kinda says that a Haslett led defense can rank well there.

And I really want to give some credit to our front office. I love Love LOVE they way they're handling the injuries to the defense. Maybe most fans are either blinded by Skins history or maybe I'm just an eternal optimist when it comes to the Skins, but I do see a stark change in the way our front office is going about things. Since 2010 we've been getting more draft picks, but with the rash of injuries we've had on defense, our front office has been swarming the UDFA and young free agent fishing nets looking for gems. I can't say we've found gems, but I like what I've seen in limited action from Kearse, Compton, and T.Robinson. We all know about Baker. Chase is still in development mode (and may never become a gem). Now we're going to see more of Jeffcoat and Brown. Remember when Shanny/Allen were first hired, we traded for and signed vets like McNabb, Brown, Hightower, Breeland, Atogwe, Meriweather, Jackson, etc. It seems we were always filling holes with the vet free agent, and not always the big signing like Hatcher, but depth. We signed 3 free agent ILBs this March, but we also let Compton compete with them and Compton's now our primary backup, possibly starter.

I think our front office (yes that front office) deserves some credit and an acknowledgement that maybe, just maybe, they know what they're doing.

Top 10 defenses do not hold the Titans in check until midway through the fourth quarter and then let them march 8 plays and 80 yards to take the lead. This is a theme for us as played out as Guy meets Girl in the movies.

Top 10 defenses do not hold the Titans in check until midway through the fourth quarter and then let them march 8 plays and 80 yards to take the lead. This is a theme for us as played out as Guy meets Girl in the movies.

There's a big difference between "top ten defenses" and the worse defense in the history of football as our fans like to act like we have. I'm not saying we have a top ten defense. Yeah, we're ranked there in ypg, but we have other poor rankings. My statement all along is that we're a mediocre defense, and as much as people may not have wanted Haslett to stay, he is not THE PROBLEM with this team.

I really hope we can see Compton, Moses, Long, Ribbs step up and grab some spots on the OL so we don't have to go outside into FA to get OL. There are 3 3rd round picks waiting in the wings. Time to buckle up and go her them.

In FA, I think that the targets should be up front on the DL, OLB, Safety. I like Breeland and Amerson as DB.

I hope that they don't go splashy. Just a bunch if hard nose guys.

Next game focus for a while on the LG spot - especially on running plays. Its a bigger issue than RG IMO (which is not to say RG is not an issue).

I am still trying to come to terms with why Gruden plays Lauvao at LG, at the Browns he played RG and Gruden saw him play that position a lot being with the Bengals. Like I've said in other posts put Lauvao back to RG and put Leribus in at LG.

Redskins desperately need to acquire offensive linemen who are good. Also need an actual NT if they intend to keep the 3-4.

While I'm hopeful that Long and Moses can step up/develop, hope isn't the soundest policy. A first round tackle and/or second round G could go a long way toward fixing what ails this offense.

I could see Cofield's return having a significant trickle down impact on the rest of the D. With that said, we need a young guy in the wings and so far I don't see Nield being that guy (and he's a FA).

Not sure what needs to be targeted in FA aside from re-signing some of our own and bringing in competition...

I really hope we can see Compton, Moses, Long, Ribbs step up and grab some spots on the OL so we don't have to go outside into FA to get OL. There are 3 3rd round picks waiting in the wings. Time to buckle up and go her them.

In FA, I think that the targets should be up front on the DL, OLB, Safety. I like Breeland and Amerson as DB.

I hope that they don't go splashy. Just a bunch if hard nose guys.

I disagree with the last part. Don't go splashy for the sake of splashy, however, we can't be so gun shy from the Vinny years that we lowball player after player and watch them sign elsewhere. Draft along the o-line add with FA in the DB area And interior DL.

Why don't we get the best C available via either FA or the draft, it would be good to actually have a player who's main position is C and not keep throwing a G in and hope for the best, our last 3 C all were G before being moved. I know Litch was a C in college but he is only now playing C regular.

Archived