Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Not sure anyone said we "can't" re-sign people, but as always, choices have to be made at some point.

Whether we are particularly "set up" for the future is debatable I suppose. But most of the "setting up" is the fact that the cap is going up and we haven't re-signed any of our important pieces yet.

What people seem to like to ignore is that, when the cap goes up, it does so for the other 31 teams as well. This is going to drive players' salaries way up in the process. It also means that while people think heading in to the 2016 FA period with, say, $30 mil available sounds spectacular, the odds are there will be about a dozen teams with $50-60 mil at hand. Which means maybe don't get your heart set on a certain player or two because we could easily be outbid.

Oh I agree. I hope we keep a low profile like we did last year and commit to re-signing and developing our own talent. I was thinking that Bruce did a good job of not back loading contracts or sacrificing future years and that we wouldn't be in cap hell like we've been in in the past.

Redskins Free 2015 Agents

Brian Orakpo - OLB and Franchise Player-Gone

Tyler Polumbus - Right Tackle-Gone

Roy Helu - Running Back-Re-sign

Jarvis Jenkins - Defensive End-Re-sign

Brandon Meriweather - Safety-Gone

Jamarca Sanford - Safety-Possible re-sign pending level of play

Leonard "Hank Time" Hankerson - Wide Reciever-Gone

"Swiss Army" Niles Paul - Tight End-Re-sign

Chris "Pocono Punisher" Neild - Nose Tackle-Gone

Santana Moss - Wide Reciever-Gone

Colt McCoy - QB-Re-sign

Akeem Jordan - Inside Linebacker-Gone

Ryan Clark - Safety-Re-sign (band-aid/leadership)

EJ Biggers - Cornerback-Gone

Trent Robinson - Safety-Re-sign

Duke "Cup of Coffee" Ihenacho - Safety-Cheap prove it contract for offseason

"Kobra" Kai Forbath - Kicker-Meh

Tom Compton - Tackle-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign?

Jackson Jeffcoat - DE/OLB-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign

Greg "Don't Call Me" Durce - Cornerback-No opinion

Nick Martinez - Guard-No opinion

Monte Lewis - Defensive End-No opinion

Sam Kirkland - Wide Reciever-No opinion

Tanard "Can't Get Right" Jackson - Safety-GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Campbell - Tackle-No opinion

- Top 10 Contracts GONE for 2015 -

** Stephen Bowen - $8 mil  --Gone

** Chris Chester - $4.8 mil--Gone

I agree with everything Dg says here.

Ugh. I feel dirty now.

I agree with DG on all but one. Colt McCoy. It depends on the status of Kirk. Maybe invite him to camp again.

this isn't baseball.  You sign someone to a contract or you don't.  Maybe they could cut him at the end of camp but they'd have still brought him back re-signed.  But personally 2 QBs always make me nervous

Dint be tempted by the folks gold. I don't want any big name free agents this off-season. If we sign anybody, I want it to be am somebody like the ILBs we signed this past off-season, guys who play teams, build our depth, can compete for a starting spot, but are not necessarily going to get in the way of the development of our youth.

Hopefully, as DG stated, w can get a look at some of the young guys we have on our roster right now to give us more of an idea of what kind of depth we have. But unless we've got a game changer that we can get on a reasonable contract at a positron we're really troubled, I want to avoid spending in free agency.

A lot depends if we stay in a 3-4 defense....personally, I think our personnel is better off in a 4-3....guys like Hatcher and Cofield were really good 4-3 DT's....Kerrigan would be a good 4-3 DE.

I would use free agency on a Safety and Corner and O-lineman.....use the draft on the front 7 and O-lineman

I'm gonna start looking at this list and seeing if there is an OLB with playmaking ability.  I'm not talking one that gets "pressures" or "hurries" I'm talking about one that forces fumbles and makes interceptions.

I think a two OLB pass rush combo is a scheme flaw anyways.

But I'd prefer to use draft picks on other positions --- like the line(s). 

Anyone have any ideas?

Redskins Free 2015 Agents

Brian Orakpo - OLB and Franchise Player-Gone

Tyler Polumbus - Right Tackle-Gone

Roy Helu - Running Back-Re-sign

Jarvis Jenkins - Defensive End-Re-sign

Brandon Meriweather - Safety-Gone

Jamarca Sanford - Safety-Possible re-sign pending level of play

Leonard "Hank Time" Hankerson - Wide Reciever-Gone

"Swiss Army" Niles Paul - Tight End-Re-sign

Chris "Pocono Punisher" Neild - Nose Tackle-Gone

Santana Moss - Wide Reciever-Gone

Colt McCoy - QB-Re-sign

Akeem Jordan - Inside Linebacker-Gone

Ryan Clark - Safety-Re-sign (band-aid/leadership)

EJ Biggers - Cornerback-Gone

Trent Robinson - Safety-Re-sign

Duke "Cup of Coffee" Ihenacho - Safety-Cheap prove it contract for offseason

"Kobra" Kai Forbath - Kicker-Meh

Tom Compton - Tackle-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign?

Jackson Jeffcoat - DE/OLB-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign

Greg "Don't Call Me" Durce - Cornerback-No opinion

Nick Martinez - Guard-No opinion

Monte Lewis - Defensive End-No opinion

Sam Kirkland - Wide Reciever-No opinion

Tanard "Can't Get Right" Jackson - Safety-GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Campbell - Tackle-No opinion

- Top 10 Contracts GONE for 2015 -

** Stephen Bowen - $8 mil  --Gone

** Chris Chester - $4.8 mil--Gone

There's one problem with your list that is glaring and in all decency you should correct it.

Polumbus' name should be in bold, underlined, italicized, multi-colored with a mini airplane towing a sign reading Polumbus is gone party at DGs house. Maybe throw in a gif of a pitbull chewing on his ass while he's running away from Redskin Park.

That would make it a little more realistic in most eyes. :)

this isn't baseball. You sign someone to a contract or you don't. Maybe they could cut him at the end of camp but they'd have still brought him back re-signed. But personally 2 QBs always make me nervous

Well I know that. But you can bring him back on a veteran deal and base salaries are not guaranteed, so he could be cut with no problem.

Well I....

I actually want to quote your signature.  Redskins = Losers.  Say Hello to the Annual Last Place Team in the NFC East!  We own the Basement!

Dude - the cowgirls haven't won the division in how long?  Only the eagles have won it more recently than us.  Give it a break little miss whiner. 

I actually want to quote your signature.  Redskins = Losers.  Say Hello to the Annual Last Place Team in the NFC East!  We own the Basement!

Dude - the cowgirls haven't won the division in how long?  Only the eagles have won it more recently than us.  Give it a break little miss whiner. 

The point of my sig isn't how many division titles that any of the teams have won since the current setup started in 2002, it's how many times we've finished in last place. The current division set ups are now in it's 13th year.  The previous 12 years, we've finished in 4th place 7 out of 12 times and it's looks like we'll make it 8 of 13.  Dispute that, Mr. Superfan.  And for more hilarity, 3 times we've finished 3rd.  So 10 times of 12 we've been 3rd or 4th in a 4 team division.

2002 2002 NFL NFC East 3rd 7 9 0 —

2003 2003 NFL NFC East 3rd 5 11 0 —

2004 2004 NFL NFC East 4th 6 10 0 —

2005 2005 NFL NFC East 2nd 10 6 0 Won Wild Card Playoffs (Buccaneers) 17–10

Lost Divisional Playoffs (Seahawks) 20–10

2006 2006 NFL NFC East 4th 5 11 0 —  

2007 2007 NFL NFC East 3rd 9 7 0 Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Seahawks) 35–14

2008 2008 NFL NFC East 4th 8 8 0 —

2009 2009 NFL NFC East 4th 4 12 0 —  

2010 2010 NFL NFC East 4th 6 10 0 —  

2011 2011 NFL NFC East 4th 5 11 0 —  

2012 2012 NFL NFC East 1st 10 6 0 Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Seahawks) 24–14 Robert Griffin III (OROY)

2013 2013 NFL NFC East 4th 3 13 0  

Why are you guys down on baker love his nasty streak.

Agreed.  Baker is a great rotation player in this scheme.  Remember he was our third-string NT coming into the year!  And he has contributed greatly!  Sets the tone for our defense.  Hopefully Cofield and Nield can come back and contribute to this defense - but for now, Baker is solid.

Agreed.  Baker is a great rotation player in this scheme.  Remember he was our third-string NT coming into the year!  And he has contributed greatly!  Sets the tone for our defense.  Hopefully Cofield and Nield can come back and contribute to this defense - but for now, Baker is solid.

he was our third string NT because he was a possible starter at DE

When will Snyder be a free agent?

Kidding.

Sort of.

Is there a list of other potential free agents from other teams?

I'd like to see a commitment to fortifying the Oline.  Spend the entire draft and free agency to revamp the oline and give RG3 the best run game possible.  Skins have some good weapons on the outside in DJAX, Reed, and Garcon.

Build the trenches.

That is exactly what Jerry Jones did which is why no one picked them to do anything this year.  Where is it big news when you draft or hit free agency for offensive line players only?   That is what Jones did and why Romo is not throwing those late game gifts. 

I am not sure RG3 is the answer but we do need to fortify the O line, get a decent free safety and a CB and we may be competitive again. Of course Haslett needs to go, and we need to retool the ST a bit but that is not hard.  You need a good coach there. 

I think the defense is close. Lots of young pieces. But I think we are a decent FA safety, Drafted NT and FS away from a stout defense. Shut down corner would be nice but adding a true nose and two functioning safeties should naturally elevate Amerson and Breeland. But a true #1 CB would be nice if we could afford one in FA.

I think the defense is close. Lots of young pieces. But I think we are a decent FA safety, Drafted NT and FS away from a stout defense. Shut down corner would be nice but adding a true nose and two functioning safeties should naturally elevate Amerson and Breeland. But a true #1 CB would be nice if we could afford one in FA.

I feel this way as well, and honestly think that the front office is doing a much better job bringing in young talent than veteran free agent talent. I mean k.Robinson, kearse, breeland, Compton, etc have out performed clark, meriweather, and possibly Hatcher.

So I'd like to bring in a young stud nose tackle, and a young stud free safety via the draft and udfa. I love the udfas we've signed. Only problem is it's taken injuries for them to see the field. Maybe they need more development than typical draft picks, or maybe coaches have little faith in them, but so far so good

Would be good to see what we already have, for once, before heading into the off season.

By that I mean looking at who the incumbent players are and if they don't measure up try back ups out this season.  eg Just this week reading Gruden saying Chester was playing well, this kind of **** needs to stop.  He's playing crap and has been for time now, we should try someone else and see how they go.  If they play like they can't get it done physically try another guy, if they do have the physical side don't improve the mental side over a couple of games try another guy.

Also we need to see what we have in some of our more established good guys.  eg Kerrigan is coming up for a new contract.  We know he can't cover and at this stage that is unlikely to change.  However he is good at pass rush and run D (pretend Seattle didn't happen) plus he has a knack for making plays.  We need to see if he can do that against LTs before we resign.  If he can 8-9m per year is worth it, if he can't he should be 5-6m max though probably should be gone.

As with many I would love a top end FA GM.

By that I mean looking at who the incumbent players are and if they don't measure up try back ups out this season.  eg Just this week reading Gruden saying Chester was playing well, this kind of **** needs to stop.  He's playing crap and has been for time now, we should try someone else and see how they go.  

I watched the All 22 from the Titans game last night. Its only one game but Chester played OK - not great but he certainly was not a problem. Lauvao meanwhile at LG was a big problem especially in the run game.

Having said that I do think we need to upgrade Chester - we need to get better and bigger across that line.

Would be good to see what we already have, for once, before heading into the off season.

By that I mean looking at who the incumbent players are and if they don't measure up try back ups out this season.  eg Just this week reading Gruden saying Chester was playing well, this kind of **** needs to stop.  He's playing crap and has been for time now, we should try someone else and see how they go.  If they play like they can't get it done physically try another guy, if they do have the physical side don't improve the mental side over a couple of games try another guy.

Also we need to see what we have in some of our more established good guys.  eg Kerrigan is coming up for a new contract.  We know he can't cover and at this stage that is unlikely to change.  However he is good at pass rush and run D (pretend Seattle didn't happen) plus he has a knack for making plays.  We need to see if he can do that against LTs before we resign.  If he can 8-9m per year is worth it, if he can't he should be 5-6m max though probably should be gone.

As with many I would love a top end FA GM.

I think the problem with this year (and last year) is that this year I think Chester is having a decent season. TyPo has been the main problem. Last year it was the opposite, Chester was having serious problems while TyPo looked decent - so decent that Cooley was arguing that he wasn't the problem with the OL. Maybe the front office agreed and decided to keep him. I fear that the same thing will happen to Chester and we may keep him starting even though we know he's going to crash soon.

Funny, I tend to think the opposite. I still believe RGIII will get right and that our offense is close. We must upgrade the right side of the line but I see a team that should be top 5 offense in the league.

The D perplexes me. I like Kerrigan, Robinson and Baker. I like the small sample size on Amerson and Breelamd, but, except for a small stint in 2012, they have been an embarrassment for a decade plus. Even years where stats-wise they were solid, we could count on not being able to get a stop when it mattered. I only feel like we are "close" in the sense that we always have guys close to making plays who just don't get there. If Rak had a sack on one-quarter of the plays he is close, he would have had some 15 sack seasons... He just doesn't get there.

Last season, so much talk about Robert.... For a guy on one leg I thought he was pretty good and the numbers support that. And, before we talk about garbage stats... The D and ST were so historically bad that it was always garbage time. And when teams know you must pass, downfield scores, it is much harder to.

I think the problem with this year (and last year) is that this year I think Chester is having a decent season. TyPo has been the main problem. Last year it was the opposite, Chester was having serious problems while TyPo looked decent - so decent that Cooley was arguing that he wasn't the problem with the OL. Maybe the front office agreed and decided to keep him. I fear that the same thing will happen to Chester and we may keep him starting even though we know he's going to crash soon.

Neither is starter quality. When "decent" is a compliment to one of your top five OLmen, you're in trouble. Polumbus is the worst fat boy on this team since Shar Pordanesh and Chris Chester is lucky Polumbus walks this earth so I am not saying that about him. If either of these guys have a role on this team next season the offseason is a failure. Seriously, they need to be sent to TB the next time the locker room has an outbreak of something contagious and get out of the NFL. I usually do not attack our guys with such venom, but seriously they are dog s@&!. Actually they are worse than sh&$ because at least people go out of their way not to step on sh$&, where as people truck through our right side.

Archived