Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Why don't we get the best C available via either FA or the draft, it would be good to actually have a player who's main position is C and not keep throwing a G in and hope for the best, our last 3 C all were G before being moved. I know Litch was a C in college but he is only now playing C regular.

FWIW, cooley thinks Kory is a pretty damn good C.

Not gonna lie, while there are some good players on the list, there's no one on there that is gonna be worth the money they're probably gonna get on the market.

I'd rather save our money and concentrate on extending the FA or soon-to-be FA already on the team. 

Success is 50% scouting, 50% luck. I'd rather go on the market looking for underachievers with a chip on their shoulder than overachievers who you'll be spending a decade paying for one year.

You spell names well?

Point? :P

haha My bad. Distracted by something shiny and forgot to make a point. Those are the guys I hope are worth keeping around for depth/development.

I really hope we can start getting away from huge FA needs/signings soon.

Tandler had an article here about our FAs (part I of a couple): http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/looking-ahead-2015-redskins-free-agents

I was tempted to start a thread on it, but I figured here would be better.

Thoughts:

Polumbus - RT - Gone.  Compton beat him out finally, Moses hopefully develops, and if need be I'd hope we blow a 1st rounder before bringing him back.

Helu - RB - A decent 3rd down option.  Not perfect, not bad, might look elsewhere for more opportunities, but would like to have him back.

Jenkins - DE - Jenkins is in a weird place.  We're going to need to overhaul the DL soon with Hatcher, Cofield, and Bowen aging, so Jenkins could either be a holdover in the new order or go elsewhere for some more money.  He shouldn't command much bc he hasn't done much.

Meriweather - S - I imagine it largely depends on who the new DC is (assuming we have one), and how he runs things/drafts.  Meriweather seemed to find a rhythm against Dallas, and if a new DC thinks he can have Meriweather doing that every week, I'd be fine with him back.

Paul - TE - Finally started producing, so he might sneak off to a team that needs a TE.  Would like him back as a compliment to Reed, but can understand if he's not back.

Ryan Clark - S - I just don't know if/how he can hold up.  We should probably try to find a longer term solution this offseason.

Biggers - CB - Depends on things like Hall's return and new DC a bit, but maybe he'll be back.  I don't care much either way and he should be cheap.

Moss - WR - Old.  Love the guy, but time to retire.

McCoy - QB - Will probably sneak off to find more money and a chance to compete for starting time.  Which is the way things go, though I'd love to keep him as backup.

Orakpo - OLB - Gonna be gone, which saddens me because I own his jersey.  Still, too expensive and injury prone, even if he signed a "cheap" contract, I don't know if we should hold on or try and go and Tryan Kerry.

Hankerson - WR - We have Garcon, DJax, and Roberts locked down for the next couple years so Hanktime is very expendable.  He's competing for the last spot behind Grant if he stays, so he might want to try his luck somewhere else.

Chester and Lavauo are awful....plain and simple.    hopefully spencer long is good enough to take over at one guard spot, but we need to bring in another guard.

Both in the draft and FA -- seem to be horrible at evaluating offensive line talent and maybe I'd throw in safety too.  So many misses in both the draft and FA.   They go on these outliers like draft Josh L in the 3rd round when others suggested he's an undrafted FA then they do it again with Long.   They give big money to Lavauo as if he's a pro-bowl guard.   On safety, they gave big money to an aging Atogwe, M Williams on and on.  If they can just evaluate these two position better, be nice! 

Man, McCourty would be awesome, but I get the feeling his price tag will be tremendous.

I'm kind of hoping the market collapses for safeties after the Byrd bust, kind of like how the CB market imploded after 2012.  It's definitely a pipe dream to hope for 7M a year, but who knows, maybe we'll get lucky.

I said it last year and I'll say it again but I'm sure it won't happen.

Solidify the offensive line. 

Solidify the offensive line. 

I keep thinking we should have signed Penn, and drafted Bitonio in the 2nd to play right guard. We would have been great.

But the only guys i say we should keep are the young corners, Robinson, Kerrigan, Riley, Baker. 

I actually think the offense is good other than the line issues.  Maybe pick up a real game breaking back.  Say 3rd pick of draft.

Eh, Penn wasn't coming here.  He wanted to play LT.

I would have liked Bitonio, but if Murphy and Long work out, then I won't feel as bad, and doubly so if Moses works out, but yeah, Bitonio balling out when I really liked him saddens me.

For guards, Mike Iupati needs to be on the target list.  I'd prefer to not get into a bidding war, but if we can get him without the cost inflating too much, that'd be great.

http://realredskins.com/2014/11/06/looking-ahead-redskins-2015-salary-cap-situation/

As of right now the Redskins have a 2015 cap number of $121.6 million. That leaves them with cap space of $18.4 million. But to get a realistic figure, we have to subtract some.

The Redskins have 42 players under contract. By the time they start counting the cap at the start of free agency in March they will have 51 players counting against the cap. The nine that they add are likely to be younger, inexperienced players. We’ll estimate that the nine additions will make the second-year minimum salary on average. In 2015 that will be $585,000 so we need to back $5.3 million out of the available space.

That brings the projected cap space down to $10.1 million. That’s comfortable but it won’t get you much to help your team in 2015. The chances are pretty good that the organization will release some players to clear up some cap room.

Here are some players who could be cap casualty candidates. This is based strictly on factors like age and size of cap hit; there is no indication from the organization that any or all of these players are going to released.

• DE Stephen Bowen—$8.02 million total cap/$5.5 million net savings
  • NT Barry Cofield—$7.7 mm cap/$4.1 mm savings
  • CB DeAngelo Hall—$4.8 mm cap/$2.4 mm savings
  • G Chris Chester—$4.8 mm cap/$4.0 mm savings
  • C Kory Lichtensteiger—$4.3 mm cap/$2.7 mm savings
  • G Shawn Lauvao—$4.0 mm cap/$1.0 mm savings
  • CB Tracy Porter—$3.8 mm cap/$2.8 million savings

If the Redskins were to make all of these moves—and the chances to they do so are slim—they would save a net of $22.5 million, giving them cap space of over $30 million to work with. Again, they won’t release all of these players but some of them likely to go.

The organization also could create some space by negotiating reworked deals with some of their older players

Bowen, Chester, and Porter should all be gone.  Bowen is getting old and has not been the same since injury.  Chester is the worst human alive.  Porter is just a non-factor here, no idea why he's getting so much.

That's 12.3M more.

I'm also thinking Hall is on the razer's edge, Breeland and Amerson look pretty good.  Hall might help, but after retearing his injury, I just don't know if he'll be himself.

So potentially another $14.7M.

Also, how does 18.4M - 5.3M = 10.3M?  We'd have $13.1M left over after adding 9 players at 585k a piece.

Anyways, I'd cut Bowen, Chester, Porter, and possibly/probably Hall, which gives us $33M to work with.  Only one who is starting right now is Chester, who we'd replace in the offseason.  Subtract 5.3M and we've got 27ishM to work with.

Draft DE to replace Bowen, sign OG to replace Chester, and we're pretty much right where we are right now.  Even a high priced OG leaves us with around 21-22M to work with.  Draft probably costs us another, what, 7-8M?  So $13-14M left after draft, a high priced OG, and JAGs for the roster?

Not too shabby.

How much would Garçon save?

Straight Cut - save $5.3M, dead $4.4M

June 1 Cut - save $7.5M, dead $2.2M

Garcon better not be going anywhere. I know he's making like 8 mil a year but lose him and we are back to having a thin WR corp. 

I would keep Cofield as when he's on the field he makes a difference in the 3-4. Hall stays IMO even if he's playing back-up. Licht stays as well and hell I'd even keep Lauvao because you're not saving muchif you cut him. 

Porter, Chester and Bowen... don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

edit: Haha Dog... great minds think alike.

There's just way too much money tied up at WR right now. you either dump Garcon or dump Roberts imo. I think Gruden will look to get bigger at WR and retain Djax so he can keep doing his thing. I think we all knew once Jackson was signed that this would be a 1, maybe 2 year experiment with all 3 of them here.

• DE Stephen Bowen—$8.02 million total cap/$5.5 million net savings
  • NT Barry Cofield—$7.7 mm cap/$4.1 mm savings
  • CB DeAngelo Hall—$4.8 mm cap/$2.4 mm savings
  • G Chris Chester—$4.8 mm cap/$4.0 mm savings
  • C Kory Lichtensteiger—$4.3 mm cap/$2.7 mm savings
  • G Shawn Lauvao—$4.0 mm cap/$1.0 mm savings
  • CB Tracy Porter—$3.8 mm cap/$2.8 million savings

I would cut everyone on the list except for Cofield, Hall and Kory.

But we all know they're being Lauvao back.

If Hall could make the transition to FS that would really, really help the defense/team.

I think he can make the transition my concern is his tackling. He's improved to the point where he's a good tackling CB but is that good enough to play FS? idk.

Archived