Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I am operating under the assumption that Gruden had already made up his mind that his QB going forward is not Griffin. And if the HC doesn't want Griffin then you simply move on. Make it a clean break for both parties move on; no Griffin centric drama and you control where he goes, unlike waiting it out a year where he can sign with anyone like the Eagles.

If Colt finishes strong then he deserves to be re-signed and return as the starter or battle in competition with Kirk.

This is offense is system driven and Colt 'gets' Jay's system.

I don't disagree with that approach, but 6 mil is a lot of money.  Casserly did a poll after Griffin dislocated his ankle and he said GMs around the league would offer a 6th or a 7th round pick at best.  And most were conditional on playing time/health.  I get that it is what it is, but we've got to do better than that... even if it's "our bust for your bust" in a swap. 

Hopefully we can at least get a couple of late round picks for him if nothing else.  3 mil is easier to swallow if we have the potential for some late round picks.

Just a mess of a situation.  Yuck.

I cannot believe that anyone would hire a coach who wanted to change  from a QB who won ROTY one year before(which was the case when Gruden was hired) after only five games observing him.

Take that **** to another thread.  You two have about five to choose from, now please.

This is a personnel thread.

Sign that kid fro Auburn, Jason Campbell. Heh.

You joke... but...

Jason+Campbell+Cincinnati+Bengals+v+Ariz

I don't disagree with that approach, but 6 mil is a lot of money.  Casserly did a poll after Griffin dislocated his ankle and he said GMs around the league would offer a 6th or a 7th round pick at best.  And most were conditional on playing time/health.  I get that it is what it is, but we've got to do better than that... even if it's "our bust for your bust" in a swap. 

Take that **** to another thread.  You two have about five to choose from, now please.

This is a personnel thread.

You joke... but...

Jason+Campbell+Cincinnati+Bengals+v+Ariz

I was replying to someone else

As for Campbell is Cincy offense relatively the same as when Gruden was there?  It would mean he had experience if he came here

Although for extra QBs I have this feeling the workouts on the buy week will lead to Terelle Pryor signing a futures contract at the end of the year

I was replying to someone else

As for Campbell is Cincy offense relatively the same as when Gruden was there?  It would mean he had experience if he came here

Although for extra QBs I have this feeling the workouts on the buy week will lead to Terelle Pryor signing a futures contract at the end of the year

I got it.  Keep the RG3 stuff localized to the RG3 threads.  It's exhausting.

Campbell wasn't there with Jay, he was probably brought in because he worked with Hue Jackson in Oakland.  Jackson's offense and Shanny's offense is pretty similar.

EDIT:  Might want to edit out the quoted picture, too. 

I got it.  Keep the RG3 stuff localized to the RG3 threads.  It's exhausting.

Campbell wasn't there with Jay, he was probably brought in because he worked with Hue Jackson in Oakland.  Jackson's offense and Shanny's offense is pretty similar.

I'm aware that's why I asked how similar the current O in CIncy is to Gruden's last year.  A lot of times when an assistant leaves they promote within and run something pretty similar

Committed 2015 money - $122,705,678

2015 Salary Cap - $138,600,000 - $141,800,00

2015 Redskins Salary Cap Space - $15,894,322 - $19,094,322

So there's the Cap Space update.  About 25 Free Agents currently on the 53 or PS.

So there's the Cap Space update.  About 25 Free Agents currently on the 53 or PS.

There is also a lot of dead weight on the books that we can cut this off season.  I expect upwards of 35+ million in cap space when March rolls around.  I just pray we have a major organizational structure change before then so we're not shopping with the same chefs.  I do NOT want to see Bruce spending all our resources and cuffing us again.  We need a fresh rebuild from the bottom up and no quick fix will solve the problems.  

There is also a lot of dead weight on the books that we can cut this off season.  I expect upwards of 35+ million in cap space when March rolls around.  I just pray we have a major organizational structure change before then so we're not shopping with the same chefs.  I do NOT want to see Bruce spending all our resources and cuffing us again.  We need a fresh rebuild from the bottom up and no quick fix will solve the problems.  

Yep, I posted the top 10 contracts on the team for next year and at least 3 or 4 of those guys can take a hike. 

Agreed.  Another opportunity presents itself with the expanded cap.  Do we take advantage of it or keep the status quo?

Yep. I believe the following is also true:

- Cutting Stephen Bowen = $5,500,000

- Cutting Barry Cofield = $4,122,500

- Cutting Chris Chester = $4,000,000

- Cutting DeAngelo Hal = $2,375,000

- Cutting Logan Paulsen = $1,750,000

TOTAL: $17,747,500 additional + $16,000,000 = $33 - 34 million

Crazy, but possible:

- Cutting/Trading Pierre Garcon = $5,300,000

There are also a lot of guys who could just be scrapped that don't cost a lot but would free some money up ... like Kedrick Golston ($1,200,000), Tracey Porter ($2,500,000) ... but I found, especially after last year, that teams (or at least the Redskins) are more apt to keep a guy around rather than cut him for the sake of cutting him. See Bowen, Chester, Golston from last year ...

None of the team's pending free-agents are "must" re-signs or even high-contract guys. I'm assuming a new deal for Trent likely frees up some dough, too, since his final year of 2015 holds a $13.7m hit.

Also, looking forward to 2016, here are the top paid players: Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Barry Cofield, Jason Hatcher, DeAngelo Hall ... 

You know what, free agency ain't what it used to be. It was said alot last year, the reason these guys are FAs is because they probably got some baggage.

And if they don't have baggage, they're after 1 thing...$.

Free agency just doesn't excite me any longer. I hope we get NOBODY. I mean it

You know what, free agency ain't what it used to be. It was said alot last year, the reason these guys are FAs is because they probably got some baggage.

And if they don't have baggage, they're after 1 thing...$.

Free agency just doesn't excite me any longer. I hope we get NOBODY. I mean it

I think a couple Randy Thomas's of the world i.e. guards in that 30 million contact range, will vastly help this team.  The young o-linemen we drafted must be real incompetent if they can't beat out Chester and Lauvao. 

I think a couple Randy Thomas's of the world i.e. guards in that 30 million contact range, will vastly help this team. The young o-linemen we drafted must be real incompetent if they can't beat out Chester and Lauvao.

I know this, and it's tempting, but no. COLD TURKEY NO.

Yea, it will be easy to upgrade G. But they will be mercs. Lets just plug Moses, Long, Ribs, 1st pick this year in and start the home grown era.

Yea, we may stink. But mercs aren't gonna move the meter.

DBs- Amerson, Breeland, Thomas (maybe), 2nd round

LBs- Robinson, Kerrigan, Murph

DL- draft, draft, draft

I know this, and it's tempting, but no. COLD TURKEY NO.

Yea, it will be easy to upgrade G. But they will be mercs. Lets just plug Moses, Long, Ribs, 1st pick this year in and start the home grown era.

Yea, we may stink. But mercs aren't gonna move the meter.

DBs- Amerson, Breeland, Thomas (maybe), 2nd round

LBs- Robinson, Kerrigan, Murph

DL- draft, draft, draft

here's the deal.  Our players can leave via FA when their contracts run out.  That means they would be mercs.  You never know which ones would do that.  So anyone we draft, anyone we put on the field from a backup, they're all potential mercs

here's the deal. Our players can leave via FA when their contracts run out. That means they would be mercs. You never know which ones would do that. So anyone we draft, anyone we put on the field from a backup, they're all potential mercs

I get there's gonna be transient players on every team in NFL now.

I'm saying, lets not get souped up about this guy or that guy.

Get a few pieces on absolute necessity and that's it. Let the garden grow... DRAFT BABY, DRAFT

A big hunk of cap space like that will buy you a handful of guys who don't care about winning and will come to a crappy organization like ours because all they care about is getting paid. Can't wait.

Exactly... Why not just give Tress Way like 5 mil bonus, maybe Kerrigan gets 4 mil. You know, true performance bonuses.

F FAs, imagine what kinda fire that might light. 'Hey man, you here what Tress got?'

Spend all that cap money on impromptu bonuses. Not that alot guys are gonna get them this year. But, do that for next couple years and see who's really playing.

Devin McCourty -FS

Bryan Bulaga- RT

Mike Iupati- G

Would be estastic if we secured one of them. The 49ers will let Navarro Bowman or Willis go would love to snatch Bowman.

I sure hope we don't let Bulaga walk. It would be nice to go into a season for once secure in all of our OL spots.

Too bad we cant use some of that 33-34 Mil to buy some draft picks. That would be awesome! I'm also in the acquire no one in FA.

We are far off from being a really good team so I'd take the bumps in the road (as long as we are improving) while acquiring young talent via the draft and UDFA. Decide on a QB and grow as a team. I always thought you add 1 or 2 guys via free agency when you are 1 or 2 guys off from a potential Superbowl. We should know 1st hand you can't pick up 5 to 10 guys and expect them all to mesh in your system and win right away. 

We need a GM that can copy one of the great franchises in this league from a structure stand point which would hopefully include better talent evaluation in the ENTIRE draft. It's like we dont even try from round 5-7.

Hail! 

I really don't get the hate for free agency. How does the 49ers d look without Justin smith? How about that Seattle offense without marshawn? Buffalo d without mario? NO without brees? Denver without peyton?

All players are professionals, some may be looking for more of a payday than others, regardless of if they are signing with their old team or their new. There will always be bad fa signings, but there will be good ones as well.

As long as you aren't screwing your future cap, which we won't be, fa can be a valuable resource in building a team.

Archived