Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Those are relatively cheap contracts that's why they're still here. If you cut Paules and Golston how do you find replacements with cheaper salary numbers than that? The only way you can find cheaper replacements is through the draft or if Bolster steps up which I doubt (that kid was horrible). 

1.75 for a 3rd string TE who does nothing is too much....we can replace him with a vet minimum type player who can at least block.

regarding Golston...I'd rather have a mid round rookie at half the cap space...Golston is nothing more then a body....hasn't made a play in years.

I like Orakpo, heck his jersey is the first I bought a couple years back specifically because he fit into my criteria:

- has played well

- is likely to continue playing well

- will be here for a while (5+ years)

But at this point, I don't know if he should be back, or if I even want him back.  He never really seemed to get over that "really good" hump into the elite category, and this injury officially marks where I would start considering him injury prone.  It's just too much.

I guess if he came really cheap, maybe, but at this point he's almost a crutch for the defense, a guy we're hoping plays well but doesn't show up nearly enough.

I get the point, but Orakpo, while pec-injury prone, would be solid as a plug until we get OL depth and safety depth through the draft. then we can target that position.  D-Hall did the same thing, admitted he was making too much money for what he was producing and took a very cheap contract for us.  I'm hoping to do the same with Rak. Doesn't mean we can't still target the position.

Those are relatively cheap contracts that's why they're still here. If you cut Paules and Golston how do you find replacements with cheaper salary numbers than that? The only way you can find cheaper replacements is through the draft or if Bolster steps up which I doubt (that kid was horrible). 

by going a few years younger than them.  Golston is a ten year vet

• 3 weeks later...

so, been looking at the cap.  Thinking about FAs.  The Skins are currently about 18 mil under the projected cap.

Cut Bowen, Hall, Chester, Golston, Porter and Paulsen.  June 1st cut Cofield and Lauvao and that drops them to 95.5 million, before things like renegotiating Trent's contract.  Cofield's aging, and has been playing out of position for years so he's probably be available to come back if we needed him to.

I'd like to look at Chris Boling for one guard spot.  He played at Cincy so he knows Gruden's offense.  Then bring in some safety help.  Possibly a center and cut loose Kory too.

so, been looking at the cap.  Thinking about FAs.  The Skins are currently about 18 mil under the projected cap.

Cut Bowen, Hall, Chester, Golston, Porter and Paulsen.  June 1st cut Cofield and Lauvao and that drops them to 95.5 million, before things like renegotiating Trent's contract.  Cofield's aging, and has been playing out of position for years so he's probably be available to come back if we needed him to.

I'd like to look at Chris Boling for one guard spot.  He played at Cincy so he knows Gruden's offense.  Then bring in some safety help.  Possibly a center and cut loose Kory too.

I haven't paid much attention to Cory.  Maybe because the guards have sucked so bad.  But Cooley has really been singing his praises from his film study.  He's gone as far to say Cory should make the pro-bowl.  

so, quick question for people

Suppose in this years draft we're high enough we can get either the top OL or top safety prospect.  Which would be the better choice?

OL. I don't see any safety prospect worth a top-10 pick.

But I doubt we're high enough to get whoever the first OT will be. Positional value is too high.

so, quick question for people

Suppose in this years draft we're high enough we can get either the top OL or top safety prospect.  Which would be the better choice?

There are no FS in the 1st round of the draft unless something major changes.  Best S in the draft is Landon Collins.  Likely a pure SS, Meriweather-esque, though hopefully better.

Similarly, there are no real 1st round guards, though converting an OT to OG is possible, so an early tackle could be an OG, though the earlier you take an OT, the more you want him to actually play OT.

There are a number of OTs available who could end up with 1st round grades.

It is possible that we go for a SS like Collins, but somehow I doubt it, and as for preference I would much prefer an OT over a SS.

Though considering how high we might be picking, if Lawrence Williams is there I'd go him over an OT.

I think if we're looking for a FS, we need to hit up FA.  Whether that leads to McCourty or someone else, I'd just like them to be competent.

Step 1: Clean House ... new GM, new head coach, new Owner?! blech

- Release: NT Barry Cofield, DE Stephen Bowen, DE Kedrick Golston, CB DeAngelo Hall, RG Chris Chester, OG Shawn Lavao

= $18-20 million in gained cap space ... $36-40 million in cap space overall

Sign: OG James Carpenter, FS Devin McCourty, 8-10 YOUNG, HUNGRY depth players ala Dallas 2014

Draft:

1st: Offensive Tackle

2nd: Defensive End

3rd: Nose Tackle

4th: Strong Safety

5th: Outside Linebacker

6th: Quarterback

7th: Tight End

Draft #2:

Trade back into the mid-round, get a 2nd and a 3rd

1st: Offensive Tackle

2nd: Nose Tackle

2nd: Strong Safety

3rd: Center

3rd: Defensive End

4th: Cornerback

5th: Outside Linebacker

6th: Quarterback

7th: Tight End

Play RGIII or Colt McCoy at QB in 2015. Either suck or do well. If suck, draft QB #1 overall in 2016, but have something resembling a team to build around. 

No to safety. Collins sucks in pass coverage and I'm tired of building from the outside in. If there are no OL worthy of a top ten pick, you go DL or LB and continue to build the front 7 and then go OL in the 2nd round.

Safeties play inside CB, like inside linebackers and defensive tackles.  There is no excuse for the Redskins to take another linebacker high for several more years.  If there's no OL worth a top pick trade down.

Step 1: Clean House ... new GM, new head coach, new Owner?! blech

- Release: NT Barry Cofield, DE Stephen Bowen, DE Kedrick Golston, CB DeAngelo Hall, RG Chris Chester, OG Shawn Lavao

= $18-20 million in gained cap space ... $36-40 million in cap space overall

releasing Paulsen and Porter nets another couple million.

Play RGIII or Colt McCoy at QB in 2015. Either suck or do well. If suck, draft QB #1 overall in 2016, but have something resembling a team to build around. 

This is where I kinda wish the Draft and FA thread were combined.  I don't think we should draft a QB in the 1st this year, nor in the 2nd.  Cook is going back, and I don't like Hundley, Petty, or Prescott, they all strike me as having similar issues to RGIII.  Now, there might be some merit to getting a guy who isn't shell shocked, Ramsey-style, but I think at this point Gruden is likely looking for guy more in the Dalton mold.

To that end, we might be spending a mid-round pick on Mannion or someone similar.  A kid with good footwork on his drops who is used to throwing at the top of his dropback, who has an interesting ceiling, if not a high one.

This would mean that with Cousins we're carrying 4 QBs, largely unheard of, but we're not really in a position to be picky.  Open competition in camp, see who comes out of that on top.

Then obviously we likely go back to QB in 2016, but I don't like writing off a full year when it comes to QB.  It strikes me as 2011-esque.  Even if all we do is throw a 3rd or 4th at it, I'm hoping we try something.  Who knows, hope spring eternal, that's how NE and SEA did it.

we have free agents of our own, the draft is only seven rounds and we need 90 players for camp.  That will never happen

How is this for a plan just give up for the next 2-3 years. We trade everyone that can get us picks in 2018, 19 and 20. Trade our high picks this year as well for picks in 18, 19 and 20. For now we actually pay for a scouting department. We probably absolutely suck until probably 2021. And then we might have a good shot of really fielding a team than can consistently compete.  Other option continue to suck permanently? 

Fire all the coaches, tired of all the penalties and lack of discipline, get Bill Cowher in here to teach discipline and toughness. Let him hire his ST coach, D coordinator and offensive coordinator. Also get a new GM that can make good personnel decisions and knows how to draft.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/washington-redskins/Redskins free agents next season

Resign:

Brian Orakpo (1 year prove it deal)

Roy Helu

Niles Paul

Duke Ihenacho

Kai Forbath

Tom Compton

Philip Thomas

http://www.redskins.com/team/roster.htmlRedskins roster

Release because they suck, and to create salary cap space:

Kedrick Golston

Tracey Porter

Stephen Bowen

Chris Chester

Shawn Lauvao

Logan Paulsen

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/2015/Players salaries for next season

Rework contract:

Barry Cofield

Trade:

Pierre Garcon - For a decent draft pick, we need a big, physical corner who can come down with the ball when thrown his way, someone like Calvin or B Marsh or AJ Green, Julio Jones, or Thomas from the Broncos.  :) Pierre will also be making too much $ next season to keep.

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2015-nfl-free-agents/Free agents

Sign Free Agents:

Demaryius Thomas - WR, Broncos

Devin McCourtey - S, Patriots

Mike Iupati - G, 49ers

Terrance Knighton, DT, Broncos

Also sign some other players for depth purposes

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11940146/washington-redskins-start-colt-mccoy-robert-griffin-iii-indianapolis-colts

Yet right now, the Redskins are hitting the reset button, although it might not last long, a source cautioned, as Washington has high hopes for the coming offseason.

For the first time since the Redskins surrendered three first-round picks and one second-round pick for the right to draft Griffin in 2012, they will have their full allotment of picks in addition to room under the salary cap. Behind owner Dan Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen, the team will be positioned to strike this offseason, spend big-time dollars and improve its roster.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015.phpNFL Mock Draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24835839/nfl-mock-draft-could-randy-gregory-be-the-no-1-overall-pickNFL Mock Draft

Draft: 

1- trade back and pick up an extra second round pick - draft BPA in first round, hopefully a perennial pro bowler year after year

2 - Shawn Oakman DE, Baylor

2 - Denzel Perryman LB, Miami

3 - G

4 - S

5 - CB

6 - BPA

7 - BPA

And hope and pray that one of the three QB's on the roster can be a competent starting QB, preferably RGIII. If not, draft one in 2016.

You really think we'll be able to afford all of those FA Rak?

Should be an interesting approach to the QB position if nothing else.

1)  Do you sign a guy like Bradford and draft a kid late to develop?  Bradford is it's own story cause he's a Native American and that'll write it's own story.

2)  Or do you sign a guy like Derek Anderson or Matt Moore and draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd round and bring him along slowly?

I have a hard time not going option 2, but I don't want to trade picks to move up.  I would love to take a top end o-linemen and see what is there on the second-level of draft QBs.  Take a Matt Moore or a Josh Freeman in FA and let the rook work up to beating him out.  Not really sure who is there at QB outside of Winston and Mariota, but I think this class is pretty weak.

Definitely not a good year to suck and realize your short there.

But Thomas is not getting out of Denver - no way.  Knighton may, but I'm not a fan of signing d-linemen on the FA market.  McCourty is more realistic and would be great, but we'd need a good base here (and a coach) to sell to him.  We'll see what comes to fruition there.  I would love Iupati, but that's going to cost a ton.

The potential of Moses/Long/LeRibeus/Compton means I wouldn't spend much in FA for those positions, but I'd absolutely be ok with drafting an olineman high (someone like Scherff* for example that could possibly play inside or out).

Slot corner is another position I was concerned about last offseason - something Hall/Amerson/Minnifield are not best suited for. I had hopes that Porter could be that guy, but counting on him next year would be folly. If Breeland can move inside in nickel packages, then I'm less concerned with that position. Draft a corner (particularly one that has played well inside and out), but probably avoid spending FA dollars there.

Dline is a big need. Still have hope that a (healthy) Cofield/Hatcher/Baker can be more than effective, but we need a young guy (or 2) in the wings... but not via FA - we have enough $ tied up there as is.

So really, aside from re-signing some of our own, I'm looking at S and maybe TE/ILB/RB and ST as our FA focal points.

* leaving aside whether Scherff would be good value with an early pick, we trade back or whatever, but the idea remains - an athletic and possible versatile olineman with the capability to start day one.

Should be an interesting approach to the QB position if nothing else....Bradford, Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, Josh Freeman?

Isn't it stark when you look at the QB wasteland out there? I would rather stick with our current system guys in a system based offense then pick or draft a QB early.

Stick with Colt/Kirk and draft a developmental WCO mid to late round.

Devin McCourty -FS

Bryan Bulaga- RT

Mike Iupati- G

Would be estastic if we secured one of them. The 49ers will let Navarro Bowman or Willis go would love to snatch Bowman.

Bulaga has had TERRIBLE luck with injuries.

Isn't it stark when you look at the QB wasteland out there? I would rather stick with our current system guys in a system based offense then pick or draft a QB early.

Stick with Colt/Kirk and draft a developmental WCO mid to late round.

I like the Garrett Grayson kid.  A little smallish-Dan Lefevour-esque for me but we'll see what's out there.

It's hard to turn down a talent like Sam Bradford if he comes with the right price tag.  Especially if you can use early picks to hit on the o-line.  He'll have a fully intact offense for the first time in the NFL.

But there I go dreaming again (and fwiw, I LOVED Bradford coming out of Oklahoma).

Archived