Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

that's a 4-3.  With no LB's rushing we give three man pressure, almost no one gets pressure from that.  Hell at major passing downs we're down to one or two DL

Of course we should have at least one OLB rushing.  The only time we should have 3 rushers is on a 3rd/4th and extremely long. But even when we put Murphy on the DL and bring him with the other 3, the pressure just isn't getting there. We've got to be able to generate pressure without having to blitz 6 or 7, is my point.  And I'm not claiming to be some expert, so I hope you don't think I'm attacking you. :)

I'm completely against any big FA signing... Except I made one adjustment last few weeks.

I would be ok getting the you youngest, best OG available and that's it.

Focus everything else on draft. I don't want mercs. But, our O-line is so bad at that position that I fear for QBs health.

I also promote drafting top T in 1st round. I dont want to hear we invested 2 draft picks in Long and Moses. Screw projects, I want a pick and plug RT in top 10. Couple that with stud OG and TW. We than have something.

Anyone read this stuff on Duron Carter?  In lieu of a "should we" thread, I figured, since he'd be a FA, he'd be worth putting in here.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/duron-carter-has-finally-grown-up-with-alouettes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duron_Carter

Completely unproven at the NCAA and NFL level, but statistically has succeeded in CFL in an impressive way.  I'd definitely be in favor of doing due diligence, a workout, etc.  Guy is probably 15-20 pounds off good NFL playing weight if that sub-210 number is correct, but if he has decent speed (clocked around 4.6 when '13 NFL Draft happened) then his 6'5" height would be something I'd like.

He might be one of the guys who manages to be a diamond in the rough from the UFL/CFL/EFL/etc., and we haven't had one of those in a while.  Worth peeking at.

Hatcher has a few sacks but that is the LB's job

They play 4 down 60% of the time and only one OLB rushes on most plays.

You HAVE to get pressure from your DL in any scheme. It's why the Texans present so many problems, because JJ Watt forces a double team every play, and busts it most of the time.

Without a strong DL, and interior push, the OLB pass rush is rendered useless because the QB just steps up in the pocket.

two more guys I'm definitely cutting....

1) Paulsen - 1.75 cap savings -  I've said it for a long time, but he stinks...I don't understand why so many like him....he's not a good blocker or receiver....he's good for at least one penalty per game.

2) Golston - 1.1 cap saving -  he should have been gone a few years ago.

1) Paulsen - 1.75 cap savings -  I've said it for a long time, but he stinks...I don't understand why so many like him....he's not a good blocker or receiver....he's good for at least one penalty per game.

he's a very good blocker but yes they should probably go

They play 4 down 60% of the time and only one OLB rushes on most plays.

You HAVE to get pressure from your DL in any scheme. It's why the Texans present so many problems, because JJ Watt forces a double team every play, and busts it most of the time.

Without a strong DL, and interior push, the OLB pass rush is rendered useless because the QB just steps up in the pocket.

With Murphy or Kerrigan rushing from the outside Hatcher is towards the inside and Baker is a more traditional NT

Anyone read this stuff on Duron Carter?  In lieu of a "should we" thread, I figured, since he'd be a FA, he'd be worth putting in here.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/duron-carter-has-finally-grown-up-with-alouettes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duron_Carter

Completely unproven at the NCAA and NFL level, but statistically has succeeded in CFL in an impressive way.  I'd definitely be in favor of doing due diligence, a workout, etc.  Guy is probably 15-20 pounds off good NFL playing weight if that sub-210 number is correct, but if he has decent speed (clocked around 4.6 when '13 NFL Draft happened) then his 6'5" height would be something I'd like.

He might be one of the guys who manages to be a diamond in the rough from the UFL/CFL/EFL/etc., and we haven't had one of those in a while.  Worth peeking at.

if we want the son of a famous NFL receiver who was undrafted we have Jerry Rice Jr. on IR.  I'd never heard of this guy I was thinking he was a DB.  WR is not an area of need at all.  Maybe we sign a UDFA, but we have three guys in their prime, Ryan Grant and a couple of guys on reserve lists even if we decide to cut loss Hank and Robinson

With Murphy or Kerrigan rushing from the outside Hatcher is towards the inside and Baker is a more traditional NT

Cooley has said fir the entire season that Baker is not good at NT. Listen to his film breakdown on iTunes from last Wed.

Jury is out in Cofield/hatcher/Baker because we haven't seen it yet.

But we have to get pressure from 4, and right now we're not. If Cofield is the answer, great. But I'll have to see that before I believe it.

if we want the son of a famous NFL receiver who was undrafted we have Jerry Rice Jr. on IR.  I'd never heard of this guy I was thinking he was a DB.  WR is not an area of need at all.  Maybe we sign a UDFA, but we have three guys in their prime, Ryan Grant and a couple of guys on reserve lists even if we decide to cut loss Hank and Robinson

Eh, except Jerry Rice Jr. never buckled down and made anything of himself.  He did nothing in college of real note, and promptly did nothing here.

Duron Carter at least seems to have sowed the seeds of success, at least somewhat, showing he can play football, putting up 2 seasons of almost 1K yards, even if it's in the CFL.

You know how you find diamonds in the rough?  You dig for 'em.

Examples include Cameron Wake, Warren Moon, and Joe Theismann.  Gotta do due diligence, if nothing else.

Pressure with 4

coming to Ashburn

I've only ever seen 1 movie more than twice in theaters; Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

But, I will gladly pay admission to see that as much as I can.

How weird would it be if we didn't sign anyone outside the organization? No FA signings. Has that happened in the past twenty years?

Would be nice to save cap space to commit to Trent/Kerrigan/Griffin when the time comes and just focus on building through the draft.

Hopefully net us some comp picks the following year if Orakpo is signed to a big contract somewhere. Could get a 3rd or 4th for once if we just don't sign anyone who isn't a cut.

Duron Carter will no doubt be signed to a futures contract this offseason, to at least get another tryout in an NFL camp.

It won't be with us because he'll have other offers and we're deep at WR.

Assuming we don't trade anyone, we have a very good set of wrs 1-4. Moss, Robinson and Hank will all be FAs though.

How weird would it be if we didn't sign anyone outside the organization? No FA signings. Has that happened in the past twenty years?

we have free agents of our own, the draft is only seven rounds and we need 90 players for camp.  That will never happen

I'd caution about how good we feel about our WR corps right now.  It IS good, our top 3 definitely gives us one of the better 1-2-3 punches in the game, BUT:

- DJax is a rental, likely a 2 year one.  2016, he either gets PAID or cut.  Or maybe restructured but then we owe him money through his mid-30s.

- Garcon is here through 2016, and becomes a FA thereafter, assuming we keep him (his salary doesn't balloon as bad as DJax's)

- WRs tend to take 2-3 years to develop

We need at least 1 high ceiling prospect coming in this offseason on the cheap, or else we'll need to spend a likely 1st or 2nd rounder in 2016 to fill the DJax gap, sliding Garcon back to #1, Roberts to #2, and the pick to #3, hoping he'll develop before Garcon's contract ends.

That's why, if he looks good at all, I'd bring Carter in.  He's young, and will be relatively cheap most likely.  Get him a 3 year deal, and he's here through 2017, past DJax and Garcon's contracts, but thanks to his cheap status, he's minimally dangerous to our cap to cut, AND if he turns out great, he'd be 27 when we re-sign him, likely in his prime.  Also he's tall.  And we need height.

So, IMO, this is perfect:

- cheap

- probably high ceiling

- tall

- seems to have matured a ton

- will be in his prime as all our guys are finishing contracts and creeping towards 30s

- if he shows promise in 2015, then instead of spending a high draft pick in 2016 on a WR to fill the DJax (and coming Garcon) hole, we can again focus on OL/DL/FS

Gotta try and build two years ahead sometimes.

DL: Hatcher Baker  Cofield   (jenkins, Kearse)

LB: Kerrigan   Robinson  Compton  Murphy ( Riley, Jeffcoat, Hayward)

DB: breeland, amerson, Clark, Meriwether  (Hall, Thomas)

This is who I think COULD be starting next year(assuming we don't switch defense)

LBs are fairly easy to pick up in the draft, as they typically aren't drafted as high. Our top priorities will be safety or DL through the draft.

OL: Williams, Long, LIchtensteiger, Lauvao, Compton (Moses, Leriebus)

QB: Griffin, McCoy, Cousins

RB: AlMo, Helu, Young, Redd

WR: jackson, garcon, roberts, grant, hankerson

TE: Reed, Paul

We have a need MOST in the Guard position. Chester won't be back, possibly Lauvao either. That leaves two young/cheap players, so we need a great FA or a solid drafted one, depending on Longs progress and who we retain. Also, a large excpetional blocking tight end. I like Paulsen but he has disappeared from the passing game, so he is one-dimensional.

So, our first priority should be best OL available. Second priority shuold be safety or DL.   LB and TE later in the draft, and fill in whatever holes there are. And of course, draft the BPA if there is a large enough difference to justify drafting a position outside of our immediate/priority needs.

Skins have so many holes they can't rule out FAs. Go get the talent, wherever it is: draft, free agency, trade, and even the CFL. :-)

I want forbath(but bring hocker too to see if he can take his spot), Duke Ihenacho (only if he's cheap and 100% healthy), Niles Paul ( if he's super cheap he looks like he's improving) and MAYBE Ryan Clark (only if he's vet min and still willing to play).

Everyone else can walk but we definitely need to cut Chris Chester, Stephen Bowen and maybe Deangelo Hall if Breeland continues to ball out. 

Those are relatively cheap contracts that's why they're still here. If you cut Paules and Golston how do you find replacements with cheaper salary numbers than that? The only way you can find cheaper replacements is through the draft or if Bolster steps up which I doubt (that kid was horrible). 

yeah, Paulsen just doesn't have the upside anymore. he has not been able to hang on to the ball this year. I agree about Ihenacho, i'd like to see what he's made of.

Hopefully Orakpo will test out the market, not get a lot of interest and come back here on the cheap. As in, 4 mil per year cheap. That would be a good deal for a solid player on a one or two year deal until he slows with age.

I like Orakpo, heck his jersey is the first I bought a couple years back specifically because he fit into my criteria:

- has played well

- is likely to continue playing well

- will be here for a while (5+ years)

But at this point, I don't know if he should be back, or if I even want him back.  He never really seemed to get over that "really good" hump into the elite category, and this injury officially marks where I would start considering him injury prone.  It's just too much.

I guess if he came really cheap, maybe, but at this point he's almost a crutch for the defense, a guy we're hoping plays well but doesn't show up nearly enough.

Agreed. But I would change it to the front office should always be looking present, short term and long term.

Right, which is why we should strongly consider him.  Anytime you can build for the long term without compromising the short term (and vice versa) we should go for it.

Of course, you know that as well as anyone on the site.  I just don't see the risk, worst case we're drafting like we were gonna need to and lose a couple mil in cap space over 2-3 years.

Archived